RMDelete

Help ID this vinyl??

I got a roll of this for free along with a few other rolls I purchased from someone who was no longer using them, old stock.. I got this really strange stuff that I at FIRST was calling STENCIL material because it is more rigid than regular vinyl BUT I just sent it through my cutter and after adjusting the depth of my needle I discovered something REALLY weird (at least to me) that genuinely confused the heck out of me and now I am sooo tortured with trying to figure out WHAT this stuff is as well as it's regular application purpose :( can someone help me figure it out?

Another description...

This material feels THICKER, when I peeled the black section back it looks like it has a white backing so I figured this was a black thick stencil material with a white sticky backing (not very sticky just slightly sticky)

Once I cut I realized there were really 3 layers

Layer 1 (top) is thin black vinyl with sticky backing

Layer 2 (middle) is thick white backing that looks like it works just like the regular backing in normal vinyl rolls except this layer also has a slightly less tacky backing

Layer 3 (backing) is just regular backing....

I have these pictures I took

download.jpg

This shows the brand and I guess some information I am using to try and investigate online

download1.jpg

Me slightly lifting up the rigid slightly sticky stencil-like-feeling material

download2.jpg

Bending the material a little to show that the material has not been cut all the way through but the little test cut above indicates the 1st layer is present (I did peel off the triangle after I took this picture to investigate this 1st layer of vinyl)

Anyone have any idea what this is called? OR how it is used and the nature of it's use? How would this stuff be useful to anyone!? I am soo confused!

Thanks everyone I am going to in the meantime investigate this product by looking up the maker...

hmm... interesting I will try incorporating that information into my searches... but anyone have any idea what the nature of this product's use is??? WHY would something like this exist? This product frankly confuses me because it looks to be a vinyl with a double backing on it... but I don't see a purpose to it, and again I am not 100% trained in all aspects of this industry so therefore me not knowing anything about a product that I have no idea about may just be because I am not trained in every possible job for the industry.. if someone has worked with this before OR even knows at least what it is used for please help me out :) thanks again!

the black is NOT translucent at all :( that is why I am sooo confused! I will take a look at that link you provided thanks! I really hope to figure this out. Could be something cool or something pointless.

ok, just called 3M who couldn't figure it out and directed me to Gerber and spoke with a rep who also couldn't figure it out and asked if I could send them pictures and so I sent them pictures, now I am waiting for a response. I am guessing that the person I purchased this roll from (he was kinda older) maybe purchased roll from GSP years and years ago and now nobody makes this anymore (I can't figure out a good use for it the way it was designed and it is soo confusing) and now nobody knows what it is... I guess the rep will pass these pictures around until someone can figure it out and get back to me on what this material is and/or what it's original design was for. Should be interesting.