j4str

popular unliscenced pictures

First let me explain my situation. I bought a vinyl cutter for my personal use. I started etching some glasses for myself and pretty quick friends and family wanted some. It just grew from there. I etch a ton of beer mugs for friends and acquaintances. Probably 90% of what i etch are trademarked graphics. People want their favorite team on a sports mug. This is only to people i know. I've been wanting to do some festivals/park vending, but i don't want to use trademarked graphics. What are some popular graphics i could put on mugs to sell. Only thing i can think of is a pot leaf. I know that's popular, but what other things could i make up? Maybe a dragonfly?

First let me explain my situation. I bought a vinyl cutter for my personal use. I started etching some glasses for myself and pretty quick friends and family wanted some. It just grew from there. I etch a ton of beer mugs for friends and acquaintances. Probably 90% of what i etch are trademarked graphics. People want their favorite team on a sports mug. This is only to people i know. I've been wanting to do some festivals/park vending, but i don't want to use trademarked graphics. What are some popular graphics i could put on mugs to sell. Only thing i can think of is a pot leaf. I know that's popular, but what other things could i make up? Maybe a dragonfly?

The star of life is in the public domain and anyone in the medical field might buy one.

thanks for the that, thats a good one

so far my list:

shamrock

pot leaf

dragon fly

christian related graphics

star of life

highschool logos

one other question, what are the rules on changing copyrighted graphics. For example, I live in oregon and everyone wants oregon ducks stuff. The oregon O is owned by nike and donald duck is disney (the 2 most sue happy companies from what i hear) Can i put a generic O a generic duck, and write ducks on it. Can i Write oregon ducks, if its a generic font? Or UO?

I would consult with a lawyer or someone who specializes in copyright laws. I personally wouldn't take the risk.

Geo

+1 even a product that makes you think of the original one it's a cw offense as well..If I have read it right..It's called image something or another..

Now why if it makes me think of the orig and it's not the orig would that be CW infringment? A hot day makes me think of a Bud light so can a person be sued for a hot day...The impossibilities are endless...LMAO!!

• Like 2

thanks for the that, thats a good one

so far my list:

shamrock

pot leaf

dragon fly

christian related graphics

star of life

highschool logos

one other question, what are the rules on changing copyrighted graphics. For example, I live in oregon and everyone wants oregon ducks stuff. The oregon O is owned by nike and donald duck is disney (the 2 most sue happy companies from what i hear) Can i put a generic O a generic duck, and write ducks on it. Can i Write oregon ducks, if its a generic font? Or UO?

Anything not made by yourself .. is copied . So the question is how much of a gamble you want to take on altering copyrighted stuff wihtout legal permission . Selling to the public puts you right on the front battle line . Like what has been said many times , MAny get away with VERY blatant stuff ... some don't . I suggest making personalized stuff from clipart that is free to use .

+1 even a product that makes you think of the original one it's a cw offense as well..If I have read it right..It's called image something or another..

Now why if it makes me think of the orig and it's not the orig would that be CW infringment? A hot day makes me think of a Bud light so can a person be sued for a hot day...The impossibilities are endless...LMAO!!

@ Stetty :) ... I have read the same thing .. it is " IF " the image makes you think of the copyrighted image .. that is infringement .. I know many things make you think of other things :D:bear:

There are tons of vinyl ready clipart disc with lots of graphics on them I saw several on eBay with 400 images for 20.00 so you may want to buy some and come up with your own slogan to go with them skulls,skeletons,motorcycles all seem to be popular. Just a thought.

Dan

• Like 1

I second the skulls. My most popular decal I sell is a very generic skull and crossbones. Nothing special about it but it sells like hot cakes.

Figured same would be true if put on a beer mug. Another one is fairies, they are always popular.

• Like 1

And butterflys,animals,etc. Like I said buy a couple disc . There is a link I think in graphic request with 900 pcs. Of clipart free to download.

Dan

• Like 1

I second the skulls. My most popular decal I sell is a very generic skull and crossbones. Nothing special about it but it sells like hot cakes.

Figured same would be true if put on a beer mug. Another one is fairies, they are always popular.

My buddy Bay has a extensive collection of fairies . He especially like them in PINK :)

so far my list

shamrock

pot leaf

bob marley

dragon fly

christian cross

jesus

star of life

some highschool logos

shocker

paw prints

recycle

mexican flag

smurfs

alf

virgin mary

bob marley

skulls

skull crossbones

fairies

heres a pic of a non copyrighted mug

post-16371-0-14626600-1312858301_thumb.j

How about Bob Marley ? :D

Where is that bison ranch at ? seems a place in Baltimore was selling meat from a ranch named that . I would love to buy a baby buffalo at an affordable cost .

How about Bob Marley ? :D

Where is that bison ranch at ? seems a place in Baltimore was selling meat from a ranch named that . I would love to buy a baby buffalo at an affordable cost .

oops bob marley on there twice. The place i have in mind to sell these is full of stinky smelly hippies and they love bob marley.......... Also, alf and smurfs i assume are copywritten, but somehow i doubt id get in trouble for that. Alf just seems so random that i think some people would like the randomness and have to have it.

http://silverdollarbisonranch.com/ My moms boyfriends ranch, here in oregon. I surprised him with 2 free mugs and he loved them so much that he paid for 6 more. Some of you guys might be interested in getting into these. Most time consuming part is the vinyl. The sandblasting is quick and makes for a pretty good markup. I buy them for $1 and sell them for $10 and everyone tells me they are too cheap.

Maybe you can sell some soap & water also :huh:? :D

I make mugs also & there are many here that already do also . It is a nice litle gig :thumbsup:

how about the kokopelli graphics. Just google it, you'll recognize it. Little tribal man dancing with a flute. Or the theater masks?