I have a side buisness making signs, decals, magnets, etc. with my PCUT630. My father (a.k.a. buisness partner) are stumped as to how to price things. I read the forums on here and see that people advise to be consistent. With the customers we get, it would be impossible.

Here's a scenario:

One customer (Stan) wants just words. Another customer (Billy) wants the same words as Stan and a complicated logo. While Sarah wants an easy logo, and the same words as Stan and Billy. All customers used the same amount of material (Billy and Sarah made their words smaller than Stan's) How would you price these three jobs?

Does anyone have a pricing chart they would maybe like to share for my father and I to base our prices on?

*All people are fictional except for my father.

You have to weigh in not only your material cost but your design and weeding time as well... I would say figure out what you expect your labor to be worth and take that times the amount of time you took to design, cut and weed their particular decal.

For kicks....

Say all 3 are 10x10. 100 sq in., your material cost for the customer is 7cents per sq in.

You have half an hour into designing ALL 3, so 10 minutes a piece, say you charge 50$ an hour.

Design A takes you 1 minute to weed,

Design B takes you 5 minutes to weed,

and Design C takes you 2.

Design = Material x .07 + .83 (per minute labor charge) x #minutes

A= 100*.07+.83(11) = $16.13

B= 100*.07+.83(15) = $19.45

C= 100*.07+.83(12) = $16.96

All prices are of course plus tax.

Note, these are not my actual #s, but for kicks, I pulled numbers out, based on x material and standard time etc.

Thats a great guide Thanks... I have been doing this for a while now and am just now getting to where I am actually setting rates. I come up with a flat rate per square foot and if the design time is prolonged I will charge accordingly for that but I think I like your system even better now I just need to figure out the numbers to actually work where I am.

Also I did not mention, fwiw, this is not how I price at craft shows etc. There are times where you need to be able to give the customer a way to figure prices on their own..... so they can decide how big or what they want. At shows I have flat rates for specific sizes. Time spent cutting and weeding averages out. Usually at a per square inch price of some sort.

Also I know Roxanne, I think, prices something similar to this

Flat per graphic depending on designs plus per square inch as follows

5$ for Stock Design

10$ for Stock Design with some custom modification

15-25+$ for fully custom artwork

All plus 7cents per square inch.

Mind you, I am referring to memory from another post. Roxy, sorry if I am wrong here- etch. Just giving a general idea....

Once I have done a custom logo/text the 1st time I charge it out as stock the next time....My prices are probably high as I have little competitions and this is a hobby that pays for my winter vacations......

I was charging just a flat rate per square foot for the vinyl that gave my customer a price in there head for the things I have already designed and cut. Now thanks to this I have a better idea on how to charge for things I have to edit. What do you guys do for craft shows? I am attending my first one this weekend and am kind of stressed on how I should charge and what to make to bring and what to hold off on and make when I get there... Also I see people cutting the stick figure families what are you guys charging for those? I do a family of 4 with a pet and the family last name at $15 some say that is cheap and some say that is outrageous. (that usually includes me running out and installing it real quick too)

I was charging just a flat rate per square foot for the vinyl that gave my customer a price in there head for the things I have already designed and cut. Now thanks to this I have a better idea on how to charge for things I have to edit. What do you guys do for craft shows? I am attending my first one this weekend and am kind of stressed on how I should charge and what to make to bring and what to hold off on and make when I get there... Also I see people cutting the stick figure families what are you guys charging for those? I do a family of 4 with a pet and the family last name at $15 some say that is cheap and some say that is outrageous. (that usually includes me running out and installing it real quick too)

Depends on the craft show. The ones I attend, I usually offer a stick family of 4, with no name or embillishments for 10$, so 12-15 with extras is not unheard of. Sell your product to them- tell them why its worth that and what their paying for. Also, at the shows I have done, I have been lucky if I had time to sit, take a drink or gosh forbid, EAT something let alone leave my booth to install something out in the parking lot. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT. lol.

At shows you do not have a lot of design time at your hands if your busy, so figure in a flat amount of design time across the board everybody pays wether you use it or not. I figured on average I spent 5 minutes per customer. At shows, I usually ballpark around 12cents per square inch, maybe a little less for larger designs just to give customers an Idea. That or I follow a set standard such as anything 6x12 is 8-10$ depending on complexity may be more than something larger due to weeding difficulty. 12x12 or less is 15$, anthing 24x12 is 25$, 24x24 is 40-50$ goes up from there . Just depends on your market, table costs and margins. My table cost for a weekend is usually around 300-350$ plus cost of electric (usually 30$ more)....

Thanks vinyl that gives me a good insight. Looks like I will just stick to my flat rater per square foot and hope for the best on this one. I have been doing it long enough I can wing it on other things like is someone wants a windshield strip or something. Thank You much