don't know how many of you have tried this but I just installed new RAM on my Refine MH721 and I think it fired my motherboard.  All three lights are on and the screen displays a bunch of gibberish.  Has anyone run into this problem?  I turned it off and put the old ram back in and still the same thing happens. If anyone can help that would be great

Maybe something shorted out, and it does sound like a motherboard issue. Should still be under warranty if you want to send your in for a new one.

just received my FED-EXed mother board.  I am going to install the 4MB ram before installing the board into the cutter.  I will report the results here when I am done. -arthur :notsure: :notsure: :notsure:

Yea, usually they go USPS, so not sure why he got one FedExd......shipping boo boo.

:jumping: well happy to say everything is up and running.  The ram installed fine. The cutter started right up and now I am about to start my first cut with my new motherboard.  Only one complaint.... no instructions.  I took a ridiculous amount of photos before dismantling the old one and didn't have a problem with the new one.  Everything has its own plug with the exception of a couple of grounding cables which actually had different colors on the cables but I figured it out. Thanks you guys for the help.  Here are some photos of my show that just went up and was the ultimate demise of my machine.  :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

2234836656_f2f7e8f3d9.jpg

2234049161_9a2c2b7be2.jpg

oh yeah and here is a fun thing I did with some gold foil

2236479701_758c80b94a.jpg

just for those of you who are curious I also got a hold of a laser engraver/cutter. Its made by Jorlink- I made these "punch- out" DIY bracelets

here are some pics for that.

2226804243_76192bc238.jpg

2226803945_24c8579861.jpg

Thanks man.  Everything seems to be working now.  The only thing that seems to be messing up is the same problem I was having before the RAM issue.  Here is the issue: I will be cutting about 100 of the same thing (think machine guns in the picture above where my name is) and about halfway through I get the infamous "line of death".  This of course is where the cutter stops cutting what I sent it and cuts a line across almost everything that it cut on its way back to the origin and then goes back to where ever it left off and continues the job.  Its REALLY REALLY frustrating because I have tried just about everything.  I have reduced the job load to about 20 pieces (same thing happened) I have ordered new RAM (same thing happened) I have unchecked small objects and unchecked weeding frame (same thing happened) I have tried different drivers (same thing happened) I have exported as EPS, I have updated and installed software (same thing happened).  I don't know what to do.  It seems like a software thing because sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't.  For instance that gold chain thing that I did worked fine, when I cut the guns right after it and it messes up.  :why: :why: :why:

I checked my file and it seems fine.  I can cut one at a time perfectly.

The bad part is I a blowing through a ridiculous amout of vinyl.  I did however order a 50 yard 24" wide roll that I have not yet put a dent in.  So I am doing okay but I would LOVE to resolve this issue.

I have a refine MH721

Hardware:

IMAC

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB memory

250GB hard drive

Software:

AI CS3

SignCut X2

the general consensus with a mac is to use the keyspan usa-19hs usb to serial converter, instead of the built in converter... this problem is common with mac users, and upgrading to this converter seems to have solved the problem every time.

First question is: do you have the latest version of SignCut running? I think they just released 2.20, not sure if it is ready for Mac though.....but I would assume so. Other than that, it could be a communication breakdown of some sort, but you got enough RAM, and a new motherboard, so I am hesitant to think it would be hardware related.

Yeah that is what I am thinking. Software.  I will have to check on the update when I get off of work.  I am usually good with that sort of stuff.  Maybe it is a problem with the type of vinyl I am using that is generating more static.  What is the brand that you use the most?  I can switch.  It would be good to know just for me.  I don't really think that is it though.  I use multiple brands and kinds (foil, static cling, regular, economy etc etc) Could someone post a screenshot of what the settings should be in the "cutter" section in SignCut with a refine cutter using a MAC?  I am going to bet that I have some box unchecked or checked that is causing all of this.  Usually when I update it fixes the problem temporary then after a couple of days it starts acting up.  I am wondering if it would help to ground this cutter to an outlet instead of the stand?  Thanks -Arthur

well I updated and I am still having the problem.  Its fine on small jobs (24" x 24")  but if it gets any bigger it does the slash across everything.  Here is a photo of the problem.  Its approx 24" x 36"  with about 75 - 100 machine guns that are about 3" x 1" each.  I don't think the problem is with the file because I actually have had success cutting this file with the same machine and an older version of SignCut and an older PC. 

2250779774_3ea3e3f44b.jpg

Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear about the problems. Here is what i would like you to test in order to determine what is causing the horrible line of death:

1. Insert paper and use a pen, and cut the same file again and see if there is any difference.

2. Try to power off / power on the machine between the cutting in case that is related to the problem.

3. Try to turn off the weedingframe in SignCut-X2 as some people says that could help (that could be explained in the case of static electricity as

the machine runs the frame around, feeding quickly and building up static).

4. If a static-issue, then you can use the "Step-by-step" cutting feature in SignCut-X2, under the settings-dialogue, set the step-by-step distance

pretty short, then it will cut everything including the frame within that area before continuing walking down the vinyl, hence reducing the risk for

static-related problems.

Please try the above, and report back. I have a Refine and my Mac here aswell, and if you could attach the file where the problem occur i could test it out

aswell in order to track this down.

Good luck

not sure what you mean.  do you mean using the blade to the front holder? I don't think sign cut has a plot command

What he is suggesting is you try using paper instead of vinyl for testing, the paper will generate far less static, also to prevent damage to the cutter strip or blade replace the blde with a pen, you should have recieved on with your machine.

Once you have switched over to a pen and paper re-cut (actually plot with a pen) and see if the L.O.D. returns. If it does please send us a copy of the file you are using so we may tyry to dublicate the error on one of our refines with a mac.

send the file to support@x2.com  and please reference uscutters forum and topic 3677.

well the good news is that shortly after I installed the new motherboard I cleaned up and re-organized and now everything seems to be working fine...... Maybe I eliminated some interfering static somewhere shifting furniture or something. I have not yet cut that particular file but I have cut more complex larger files and IT WORKED!!!!  so..... I will just have to take a closer look at that file and maybe generate it again.  Thanks for your help and if I have any more problems I will email them to you.  I have noticed that if I generate too many weeding lines in Signcut and send it to cut The software crashes but upon restart it works fine.  Kind of annoying but hey it works.