SpareParts

12"X18" Aluminum Signs - What to charge?

Can someone help give me an idea of what you would charge for about eight 12" x 18" aluminum signs with simple single color text decals applied to them? I would appreciate any guidance.

(Cost of Materials * Markup Rate) + (Labor Rate * Hours) = Price

We buy Aluminum Blanks 12" x 18" for $3.25ea + Vinyl $0.09 sq ft + App Tape $0.02 sq ft = $3.42ea

For Example: ($3.42 * 10) + (($50 * .25 - hrs for cut, weed, and tape) + ($50 * .25 - hrs for install)) = $34.20 + $25.00 = $59.20ea sign

We typically use a markup of 600% for Retail and Charge $60/hr Shop Rate

We do bulk discounts or repeat business discounts which adjust the price point significantly. I' say if you are in the $35 range you should be really competitive.

2CT is right on the formulas..I think in my area $59 wouldn't fly..I would be more at $29 based on the costs listed...I would print the logo, install with no app tape and be done with it in 5 minutes or less..But thats me..So for me $29.00 bucks for less than $4.00 bucks of material and 5 minutes works not too bad...

• Like 1

I would be at 30.00 to 35.00 depending on how much time it took to sell the job.....I would use 751 if I had the colours..

$59 in my area would make my shop a ghost town.

$25-$30 based on simplicity of the text and if I have the material in stock

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone. $30 is pretty much what I came up with too. Glad to see that sounds accurate. I may end up doing some 18"x24" ones too and I could see $59 maybe for those.

Your comment about 59.00 for a sign that is 2 times bigger tells me your formula is flawed.....Would that make a sign 1/2 the size 15.00?.....If so, not worth doing if it is a 1 sign order.....

I generally use 15.00 as a starting point for custom work, plus 0.07 per square inch for 1 colour (about 1/3 more for each extra colour)....So for 2 colours 20.00 plus 0.095, 3 colours 25.00 plus 0.12, etc. etc...Then I add extra for the substrate....Usually at my cost because I am making enough on the vinyl already.....And by not marking up the substrate, if you also offer a better substrate the difference in price is more reasonable....

I do not sell very many 18 x 24 coroplast signs because my price sucks....About 47.00.....But I also offer coloured 0.040 aluminum for 53.00 which is a way better sign and a great price...

And as far as art time, I do not add extra for vectoring logos.....I figure if I treat the client well they will use it again in the future...If they want clipart, the pick something stock or pay for it somewhere....

• Like 1

Thank you so much everyone. $30 is pretty much what I came up with too. Glad to see that sounds accurate. I may end up doing some 18"x24" ones too and I could see $59 maybe for those.

I dont see $59 on the 18x24's? I would be at $39 - $45...It's only about a buck more in material cost, same amount of mount time..SO my price is fair enough...Get too high and as one put it your in a ghost town with no business at all...Be carful listening to those with too high a price..Their area may support a higher cost or their overheads much greater..I shop local competition and price accordingly...I do that for signs and banners and window graphics...Be careful and don't price yourself out of the sign business before you get going in it to start with..

• Like 1

Just so you know, our price is no where near that high... Arizona Signage prices are some of the lowest in the country, We sell those 24" x 36" Cut Vinyl aluminum signs for $30 - $35 depending on who is buying them. Typically we don't sell the smaller sizes.

My formula and prices were as example.

Just so you know, our price is no where near that high... Arizona Signage prices are some of the lowest in the country, We sell those 24" x 36" Cut Vinyl aluminum signs for $30 - $35 depending on who is buying them. Typically we don't sell the smaller sizes.

My formula and prices were as example.

A very reasonable price on your signs..I like buying cheap and selling high..LOL...

Glad I am not in AZ for the signs but you guys have great weather and no bugs..I have only been to Phenix once to visit a gal I met years ago..But never had a chance to go back after that one visit...I like the town from what I saw of it...It's a different hot, really dry..Here in Missouri we have lots of bugs and very humid weather..They say wait 5 minutes and the weather will change if your not happy with it here..

stetson5331