Sign in to follow this  
espy

Aligning Vinyl Correctly - Need Tips

Anyone know how to set up the rulers to feed the vinyl through straight?  I've been using a copam 2500 (and have loved it), but had to send the original back due to warranty issue.  The new cutter is working great except that the rulers are off. That is, the blue ruler on the bottoms marks don't correspond with the top ruler marks...which makes it hard to line the vinyl up correctlly so it doesn't track to the left or right as it feeds through. 

I think that the top ruler is removable and can be repositioned, but I've tried to get some straight consistent marks, and haven't found a way to do it.  Anyone have any tips or tricks for me.  I need to get the rulers exact as possible, because even being off slightly causes the vinyl to track to the left or right when cutting longer jobs.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

I ignore the ruler completely and line the vinyl up with the side of the cutter frame, then slide it over a little and clamp the pinch rollers down. Seems to be straighter than lining up with the ruler.

First make sure your roll of vinyl is wound fairly tight before placing it on the Roller Stand. Position the roll so it is very close to the position you are going to clamp. In other words make sure it looks llined up vertically. Next advance with the arrow keys a good portion of the vinyl & watch which way the sheet skews. Then adjust the position of your roll slightly & rewind by pushing the 'UP' arrow key. A couple of tries & you should be feeding pretty straight. Also it helps not to try & cut to the edges of your roll so you can move your Pinch Rollers in from the edge of your sheet.

i put the vinyl on the roller, feed the vinyl thru the plotter, take the vinyl i just feed thru the plotter, and feed it back under the roll of vinyl on the rollers.  then you know it is perfectly aligned when they match up, then I just clamp it down with the pinch rollers

use good quality ruler like a Wescott steel ruler - measure from side of cutter to outer edge of the first feed roller on right (base default origin point). Make note of that measurement (on my Copam, the edge of roller is 2 13/16" on the ruler) make same measurement down by the bottom of the front apron and mark that with a small pc of tape, lining up the edge of tape with that measurement so the width of tape is towards side of cutter. Then just line edge of vinyl up with edge of roller and edge of tape. Tracking stays accurate within approx 1/16th in over a 9ft lengths consistantly.

I took 2 playing cards and put them against the left side and marked it with marker at the top alignment and bottom alignment ruler or just tape the cards to the machine put vinyl against cards put rollers down