roxanneupnorth

It will cost you if you steal from the major leagues!

With stuff like DMCA hard to enforce I think we are going to begin seeing more and more of this, especially with the way the economy is....

My thoughts are granted the logos and whatnot are copywritten for a reason, but the cost to purchase use rights is above and beyond most small shops taking access away from small guys like most of us- only allowing bigger and large commercial shops to produce goods adorned with NFL, NBA, NHL etc... logos. Shoot anymore you put a word in a font that someone doesn't like that is of questionable trademark you could be nailed....

^^ this is so messed up a honest guy trying to make a buck

I do agree that he is trying to make money, but I also understand the need to compensate companies, sports teams, etc for using their artwork.... I mean would the Packers, the Vikings, Atl Braves etc be the renowned teams they are without their respective team logos? If you take that away that is like taking away their face to the public. But like I stated in my previous post, there has to be a way to make useable access available to the small fish in the industry. I guess thats what keeps everyone from doing it tho.....

I live in Iowa- I looked at buying the rights to Iowa State University, and the Iowa Hawkeys logos... WOW. The Hawkeys are proud- 500$ application fee, and 10% royalty every item sold. ISU is a little more reasonable at 100$ plus 10% every item sold....

One would think there would be a happy medium....

^^ this is so messed up a honest guy trying to make a buck

While I understand your concept , it is actually not honest to use copyrighted stuff without the rights to do so . It is illegal . Not much enforcement & prosecution , but intellectual property is real & part of the income of the actual owner(s) .

I do agree that he is trying to make money, but I also understand the need to compensate companies, sports teams, etc for using their artwork.... I mean would the Packers, the Vikings, Atl Braves etc be the renowned teams they are without their respective team logos? If you take that away that is like taking away their face to the public. But like I stated in my previous post, there has to be a way to make useable access available to the small fish in the industry. I guess thats what keeps everyone from doing it tho.....

I live in Iowa- I looked at buying the rights to Iowa State University, and the Iowa Hawkeys logos... WOW. The Hawkeys are proud- 500$ application fee, and 10% royalty every item sold. ISU is a little more reasonable at 100$ plus 10% every item sold....

One would think there would be a happy medium....

Those actually sound very reasonable.

Business wise it is VERY reasonable compared to what some want . It is completely business . If you make the decision you can make money by buyng the rights to reproduce it , your choice . Making something like that for yourself or family is 1 thing .. making them & selling them in a store front situation is crazy stupid IMO .From reading articles about stuff like this , I think most companies try to keep small companies out as policing the quality & sales records is not profitablle . Small companies would not be able to compete with larger companies selling stuff like this , so best to make your own stuff :):thumbsup:

They are pretty reasonable, but also have to factor in that is for 2... 2 teams.... you get into doing those 2 then you have someone that wants University of Northern Iowa or another out of state college team, and they get bent out of shape if you don't have it or cant get it. Also the craft shows I tend to frequent, the operator of those shows requires some sort of proof that you HAVE necessary licensing before you can even sell college and pro stuff at his shows or he won't even let you set up shop....