BannerJohn

Public Service please read

I normally wouldn't do this but I think it is important.

Wednesday morning, My cousin next door was mowing his grass. He started feeling a little sick so he went inside and sat down. Within a few minutes he was dead from a massive heart attack. In spite of our efforts and the EMS people, nothing could be done to revive him.He was 59 years old.

The point is, he had been having all of the classic signs of an impending heart attack and ignored them.None of us could get him to go to the doctor. If he had, he might be alive today.

So..if you or anyone you love is having the signs of a heart problem..please DO NOT IGNORE! It might be nothing...or it could be very serious. When I had my heart attack, the ER doctor told me he would rather see someone in there 10 times with a false alarm than have them sit at home.

Some heart attacks are sudden and intense — the "movie heart attack," where no one doubts what's happening. But most heart attacks start slowly, with mild pain or discomfort. Often people affected aren't sure what's wrong and wait too long before getting help. Here are signs that can mean a heart attack is happening:

Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.

* Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Symptoms can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.

* Shortness of breath. May occur with or without chest discomfort.

* Other signs: These may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness

I was lucky that in my case I had every single symptom so I KNEW what was happening. I called 911.

and guess what folks...you don;t have to be old. I was only 52...and my brother had his first one at 38.

I"m sorry for being so gloomy but I lost someone very close to me and I just want everyone to know how important it is.

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up John . A tough situation to deal with & like you said something that might have been avoided .

I'll tell my story so it may help others .

I thought I was feeling my age ( 54 last spring ) & having anxiety attacks etc . I had a stress test a few years before & the cardiologist said my heart was great . My Mom has anxiety attacks & I was feeling the same symptoms she explained . I scalded my forearm on a 2006 Impala checking the radiator fluid ( the new cars don't have a pressure relief cap or a 2 stage lock , just threads ) . Some 3rd degree burns & all the skin came off the bottom of my left arm . It started looking bad & I went to the Dr's to get some antibiotics to make sure I stayed ahead of any infection . As I was leaving the exam room , I thought of the anxiety attacks & asked the Dr about something he might be able to prescribe to help that . He did a EKG & his eyes widened .. I thought that was NOT a good sign . He made me an appointment with the cardiologist & within a few days I had a new 7" scar on my chest . I had 2 arteries on the bottom that the surgeon said was 100 % blocked & 1 artery on top that was 80% blocked ( hard to believe as that seems impossible :huh: ) . The Dr's said I should have went into cardiac arrest doing the type of work I do & died long ago . That I did not have enough blood going to my heart to even have any chance at surviving if I went into cardiac arrest .

Do as John says & get checked up , it may save your loved ones much suffering .

Thanks for the heads up John . A tough situation to deal with & like you said something that might have been avoided .

I'll tell my story so it may help others .

I thought I was feeling my age ( 54 last spring ) & having anxiety attacks etc . I had a stress test a few years before & the cardiologist said my heart was great . My Mom has anxiety attacks & I was feeling the same symptoms she explained . I scalded my forearm on a 2006 Impala checking the radiator fluid ( the new cars don't have a pressure relief cap or a 2 stage lock , just threads ) . Some 3rd degree burns & all the skin came off the bottom of my left arm . It started looking bad & I went to the Dr's to get some antibiotics to make sure I stayed ahead of any infection . As I was leaving the exam room , I thought of the anxiety attacks & asked the Dr about something he might be able to prescribe to help that . He did a EKG & his eyes widened .. I thought that was NOT a good sign . He made me an appointment with the cardiologist & within a few days I had a new 7" scar on my chest . I had 2 arteries on the bottom that the surgeon said was 100 % blocked & 1 artery on top that was 80% blocked ( hard to believe as that seems impossible :huh: ) . The Dr's said I should have went into cardiac arrest doing the type of work I do & died long ago . That I did not have enough blood going to my heart to even have any chance at surviving if I went into cardiac arrest .

Do as John says & get checked up , it may save your loved ones much suffering .

Good points,Rodger....I had a full cardio workup,including a heart catherization just 2 YEARS before and they said mine was in great shape too. The best doctor we will ever have is ourselves.

My most sincere condolences John.... Prayers to you and your family.

Life is short and some of us sometimes are too stubborn to see the doc- never hurts to go and be told your fine!!!

Like I was always told growing up- Never go to bed mad, tell important people in your life you love them every day, and always treat each day as if it were your last.

im "only" 34, and im shocked as shit by the amount of ppl that i keep finding out that YOUNGER THAN I AM NOW, had already had heart attacks and strokes. scary shit.

• Like 1

Sorry for your families loss John. This is a very good post because like your cousin many people ignore the warning signs that every one has read or seen on tv . With any type chest pain you should be checked out . The first thing you should do is chew up 2 325mg. Aspirin then have some one drive you or call the rescue squad (no use endangering other people by trying to drive ) to the er. When I was young I would have shrugged the symptoms off but now that I am in my 60s I worry about any chest pains . Be safe and have it checked out.

• Like 1

im "only" 34, and im shocked as shit by the amount of ppl that i keep finding out that YOUNGER THAN I AM NOW, had already had heart attacks and strokes. scary shit.

sorry to hear john, i'm just 34 and dealing with stroke #2, scary stuff.

John I am sorry for your loss...

All good things for people to be aware of.

Peggy