smallTIMER

Sales for those of you that work from home

Hi everybody,

I do my vinyl work for personal use and I have everything set up in a room in my house.

For those of you who also operate from home, I was wondering where most of your sales come from. Without a storefront, there are no walk in customers. Do most of you use CL or eBay as a means of sale?

I work from home and out of my home. I opened up shop to sell things similar to Uppercase living- and I can usually beat their prices by 50% or better... with full customization. That being said, I do A LOT of business at local craft shows- yes there are people there doing vinyl, but I am the only one doing the same thing, cutting on the spot IN PERSON. I have also had luck getting people that have found me via google/facebook/manta. Word of mouth travels fast! Especially if you're good at what you do.

Get a facebook business page, and check out www.manta.com....

As far as ebay goes, good luck- you will most definitely sell cut vinyl at cost with no profit for labor. Maybe Craigslist if you put an ad up will someone answer.

• Like 1

Postcards on bulletin board at post office.....

Knock on doors......

Graphics on my truck.....

Do you have your picture on your postcards :huh::D

Oh , I thought it was funny thinking about pictures in the post office . B)

Thought id lend my experience here, it might help it might not. My name is Kenny im 25 I work in IT by day and do signs and vinyl on the side. I own SickStick.com. I am trying to turn this into a full time job. I have financed everything myself and am using my own home as my base of operations.

For our site and business, im trying to quit my day job lol. I have converted my living room and dining room into an office area. I have a couple of friends who are helping me out and hopefully Ill be able to cut them some profit soon. It was slow going the first few months but looks like it is taking off now. Since we have no office front our web presence must be huge. Check out SEO and SEF information, the better the website the more sales you will get. I have my personal vehicle, my parents vehicles, and about 5 friends vehicles with out name and information on them. I knew going into all of this who my base customers were and what I wanted to do. I cut side decals for import cars and such, that is my specialty. My friend and I attend local and regional car shows and get our information out that way. This seems to work the best people are really taking to the advertising!

Hi smalltimer....I am a registered business designing boutique vinyl wall decals specializing in childrens designs that are all 100% my original artwork ( no clip art) and I am a work -at -home mum. 95% of my sales are via Ebay where I have a store..and the other 5% word of mouth.

As vinylmotivations mentioned you will sell your work on Ebay but for a lot less profit but I must admit that Ebay was great for building a customer base and alot of my customers now contact me direct when they are after another decal. Now after 2yrs on Ebay I am seriously looking to start my own website and revamp my business.

I have just started to design my new website, redesign the logo and business cards, rearrange my designs, catalog them together in a portfolio and flyer.

As far as getting seen carry your business cards with you for any opportune moments :), start a blog ( great for showing customers your new designs, the process of putting the design together and because our customers don't actually see us over a counter a blog gives clients a chance to 'meet' you.)again like vinylmotivations said get a facebook page and a nice big graphic on your back window telling people where to find you!

I know theres lots of people on Etsy doing vinyl graphics but to get noticed you only need to produce something different to everyone else!! to set up a shop is quick and easy and importantly free! ( fees are charged according to your listings and sales) but it is a great way to test the waters and get your name out there!

Good luck!!:)

Promote, promote, promote!!!

I am a business card whore... I'll slap a card in any hand available. My wife and kids always quietly groan when we meet new people because I will immediately go into my "let me tell you what I do and how it can help your business" speech... I find about 60% of my business comes from meeting people and forming a business relationship, another 30% from past clients referring me to people they know and the last 10% from advertising. (Vehicle decals, ads in local print media, CraigsList, fliers on local bulleten boards, etc...)

• Like 3

I am a business card whore... I'll slap a card in any hand available. My wife and kids always quietly groan when we meet new people because I will immediately go into my "let me tell you what I do and how it can help your business" speech... I find about 60% of my business comes from meeting people and forming a business relationship, another 30% from past clients referring me to people they know and the last 10% from advertising. (Vehicle decals, ads in local print media, CraigsList, fliers on local bulleten boards, etc...)

sooooo true!

I'm operating from home now too, these are some good tips.  Thanks to all who shared :)

I've been "Painting" signs for about 30 years and have worked out of my home/shop(no storefront). It was all part time up until about a year ago. I quit the R V sales after 12 years. It wqas a very profitable  business for many years but, with a declining economy, it was time to look elsewhere. I worked with a Toyota dealer, 50 miles from home and after a year of tiresome driving, I decided to have knee replacement in June. The knee surgery went well, as far as the knee but a nerve in my leg got "stretched" during the surgery and will be another 6-8 months for full recovery. Anyway, I have a lot of referral business, put business cards out everywhere(bulitin boards, leave on restaurant tables,vehicle window graphics on my car, and give business cards to friends for referrals. I tell everyone to write thier name on the back for referral fee paymant. IT WORKS!!! All this keeps me pretty busy,  with my limited ability now.I've found that good quality work, done when promised, will get you many repeat customers and recomendations to others.You have to be in it a while to know when to trn down some jobs. Sometimes your money ahead by doing so. I always get 50% deposit and balance on completion.ALWAYS! Those that don't want to pay the deposit..........oh well. Several have called late WITH THIER DEOPSIT. This is just my $.02. I appreciate all the advice and assistance from this forum and veeryone concerned. This has made3   

This has made the transition from hand lettering to vinyl much easier and enjoyable. THANKS TO ONE AND ALL FOR THE ADVISE AND ASSISTANCE.

This made me laugh :D  And yes, SO true!

I cant help much on the CL or Ebay front, as I have just added this to my current graphic design freelance business.  Everything I have cut so far (for $$) has been a mention via conversation, leave a card (friends, family, friends with businesses, my physical therapist office, my hair lady, etc etc).  It will grow as word gets out!

• Like 1

I have not advertised for years all of my work is word of mouth ,referral and repeat business on my handyman / repair service and the sign service ( I don't cut decals for sale just signs ,banners and sign faces for lighted signs ). I had a guy call today wanting a quote on a new deck referred from a salesman at our local Lowe,s . I belive the secret to any business is honesty quality work and a fair price and to give the customer exactly what was promised or better . In other words treat customers and projected customers as you would want to be treated and your business should flourish .

Dan

• Like 3

If you have access to dye sublimation, these guys http://www.laserreproductions.com/Sublimation-Business-Cards.html have sublimatable metal business cards.  They are very thin, 100 of them is about the thickness of a deck of playing cards, they have rounded corners and a pearlescent finish that really makes your design pop.  They are also double sided so you have plenty of room to get your message across.

If you buy them in qty of 300 or more the price comes down to $0.15 each (plus sublimation costs) which makes them pricier than standard business cards, but they have a very unique feel - and if you do sublimation work, it provides an example of how it's not just about t-shirts and mugs - and since you print them yourself, you can switch up your design any time you want!  I figure that they end up costing me $0.30 - $0.35 each including shipping and sublimation costs, but for a unique card that doesn't wear out *and* demonstrates my work, they are worth it to me.

Owjones just curious could you spare one or sell one so I can see if its something I would like?

Absolutely - PM me with an address and I'll snail-mail you one.   If you've got a business card size graphic (or two, since they're double sided) send it, I'll make one custom for you.