egraphics

Roland GX-24 Up Cursor Not Working

Hello, I have a Roland GX-24, has worked flawlessly for a while now. Just tonight, my Up cursor arrow does not roll the material. The down rolls the material, and left and right arrows move the carriage, but rollers do not move when I hold the UP. If I go into Menu and settings, let's say force for instance, the UP arrow DOES move the force up, or speed, etc. However, the UP does not move the material and or rollers. What's going on? Any help would be appreciated, I always double check the piece I am working with to make sure it is aligned with the rollers, this makes it almost impossible to do! I have many orders to complete this week - thanks in advance!!!!

Lee

Yeah that dont sound good, if the button does other functions EXCEPT reverse the vinyl feed my guess is you need a repair.

Ben

Anyone else have any ideas? I already contacted Roland support, but that was last night so I won't get an answer until this week I am assuming. Do I just have to make sure the piece (I generally use pieces about 2 feet at a time) is lined up correctly and work around it? Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Lee

If you can take off any covers to see if there are any broken or disconnected wires , I would . It sounds to me like the switch is working , but the current to reverse the motor is not getting to the motor .

Thank you. I took off the back cover, and it exposed wires that go to the carriage and everything looked fine.

I them removed the 3 deep well screws on the side, to take the side cover off. All wires look good (the bulky white ones together) that come from the control panel to the motherboard look fine.

Thanks again - frustrating, only had it about a year and use it on and off every week.

You need to look for the wires that go to the drive motor that moves the vinyl . See if they are intact & see how the connection is . maybe even wigle them with a pencil while trying to move the vinyl up . Might be a faulty solder joint .

Would these be coming from the back of the control panel directly to the motor? Or would they go control panel via motherboard, to motor? Thanks. If I need to replace one of these components (I would assume control panel or motherboard, as motor is fine) where can I order them and how much am I looking at?

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

Anyone else?

Thanks!

Lee

I don't know , I would think it would come from the control panel . Usually it just reverses the polarity to make them reverse direction . If it is not a solder connection & is a plug type , I would reverse the wires on the motor & see it it reverses the problem . I bought a Copam because it was in the professional line & was cheap enough to buy 2 & have 1 as a back-up . I will dedicate 1 to parts if it breaks & it costs more to fix compared to buying another new cutter . I might buy the next level cutter from USCutter which is the Zen , because I have read great reviews about it & is not that much more to buy .

Fixed it - not sure how, must have just been a loose connection. I unplugged the wires via the clip on the motherboard, and the ribbon from the control box to the motherboard - hooked it back up and turned it on, and good to go!

I would like to think that's all it was - but at the same time, has me wondering a little bit.

Thanks for your time Rodger, I appreciate it.

Lee

Glad to help :thumbsup: . If it happens again , hold the up button while wiggling the wires . It has to be the wires going to the drive motor .

Things do seem to go wrong at the worst time .. reminds me of Murphy's Law . Murphy's Law was hilarious to me because of all the cynical remarks .. then 1 day at a motorcycle race hosted by a local optimist club . I was reading the definition of an optimist & remembered the most humorous part of Murphy'e Law.. It starts out by saying " Murphy was an Optimist " . :)

So ironically - I have the same exact issue - 10 months from the date it originally happened.

I unplugged everything on the motherboard - turn it back on, do a Self-Test, cuts CAMM-1 fine, everything else is operating - EXCEPT the UP arrow only.

Does anyone have any information? Anything is appreciated - thank you!

Lee