haumana

Return to point of origin

It was suggested that I do a second pass to try cut some reflective material that I bought (Oracal 5300).

Does anyone know how to get the LP to return to its original point of origin after it completes the first cut, or will have to "eye ball" it and hope that I hit the 0,0 on my own?

I notice you have Flexi software. I have Flexistarter 8.5 and in the default job properties it has PASSES. I have not tried it, but I am assuming by changing this, it is telling the cutter to cut the order again, for how many times you change it to. So actually it would not go back to origin, just cut the order again. You could try it on a piece of scrap. Other cutting software may have that option also.

post-3058-0-59681000-1308349418_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I notice you have Flexi software. I have Flexistarter 8.5 and in the default job properties it has PASSES. I have not tried it, but I am assuming by changing this, it is telling the cutter to cut the order again, for how many times you change it to. So actually it would not go back to origin, just cut the order again. You could try it on a piece of scrap. Other cutting software may have that option also.

Thanks. I guess I will need to breakdown and actually install Flexi on this box. I was hoping to avoid having to do so, but I guess it's time to dust it off and see if it'll work.

Thanks for the screen shot - I'll know where to look when I finally get there! :)

Your welcome, Did you look around in Signblazer, to see if Passes option is there? Maybe someone using Signblazer would know.

This got me interested because I had glow in the dark vinyl that I couldn't cut (too thick).

I looked about in SB and didn't see anything. Then a bell went off. For a quick work-around; select your entire graphic; Select All from the Edit menu; then hit control-C, then hit control-V. This simply copies and then pastes an exact duplicate on top of the original creating two cut lines where there used to be one. You could even cut 3 or more times this way. Just don't save the project after the paste or you'll have those extra copies stored in it...

This got me interested because I had glow in the dark vinyl that I couldn't cut (too thick).

I looked about in SB and didn't see anything. Then a bell went off. For a quick work-around; select your entire graphic; Select All from the Edit menu; then hit control-C, then hit control-V. This simply copies and then pastes an exact duplicate on top of the original creating two cut lines where there used to be one. You could even cut 3 or more times this way. Just don't save the project after the paste or you'll have those extra copies stored in it...

You're a genius! I don't know why that didn't occur to me. I've actually done that, entirely by accident, and it was picking up the corners and started to pull on the vinyl while it was doing the second pass. It was making me completely mental!

I will give it a go and pray for surf!

MAHALO!!

UPDATE: I did as Rich suggested and did the duplicate graphic on top one another. I left the blade pressure at what I normally cut my Oracal 651 at. It seemed to have enough pressure with two passes to cut through the material and adhesive.

Does anyone have any advice on how I could smooth out the cut path though? or is this just going to be something that will always happen due to the thickness of the material? It cuts the design well, it's just the edges that it creates on the graphic feels rough and I know when I go to put on the app tape, I'll see the small air gaps that the rough edge will be leave.

Are you using a 60 degree blade? Other than that, possibly dropping the pressure a bit might help?

Guess I'm not all that much of a "genius" :P

Are you using a 60 degree blade? Other than that, possibly dropping the pressure a bit might help?

Guess I'm not all that much of a "genius" :P

I'm using a new 60d blade, cleaned the blade holder really well, so it rotates easy enough. I will give it a try again and dial back the pressure a little, hopefully that will do the trick.