haumana

Oracal 5300 Reflective question

Hey guys - hoping you guys can help me figure this one out. I'm getting more and more request for reflective stuff, so I thought I'd buy some to "test drive."

I bought some generic stuff from eBay, and it seems to cut like a charm; it only needed a slight tweak to blade pressure. Then I picked up some Oracal 5300 Reflective Blue; and that's what I'm struggling with. I tried using the existing settings for the other reflective material, but found that it could not cut deep enough. I'm now finding the the Oracal 5300 is actually pretty damn thick (compared to the generic stuff). So after several tests, over and over again - I upped the blade pressure substantially and got it to cut. Here's the problem. The cutter is applying so much blade pressure the the vinyl seems more drag, bumpy cut (similar to perforation), and I end up with some pretty jagged edges and at some of the crucial (smaller) points of the design, it will either want to lift the sharp corner or worse yet - almost poke a hole through the backing.

Any advice is appreciated! I'm currently using a new 60d blade, and the blade shaft has been well cleaned and there doesn't seem to have any rotating drag in the blade holder. Blade depth is good for all my other reflective and calendared vinyl.

Thanks for look

try cutting in a couple of passes

I don't trust that my cutter to accurately go back to the 0,0 position :o( hahaha. I need to buy a better cutter!! :thumbsup:

Use a 60 degree blade

I am using a new 60 degree blade. Still no luck :-\

Have you tried a little extra blade as well? I found with my 3M reflective white, I cut just fine using about 1.5x the pressure and a smidge more blade. My LP is NOT the most accurate machine on the planet either but on a small graphic you should be ok doing at a minimum 2 passes. I would give it a whack- what have you got to loose for the experience? A couple feet of vinyl?

Have you tried a little extra blade as well? I found with my 3M reflective white, I cut just fine using about 1.5x the pressure and a smidge more blade. My LP is NOT the most accurate machine on the planet either but on a small graphic you should be ok doing at a minimum 2 passes. I would give it a whack- what have you got to loose for the experience? A couple feet of vinyl?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm trying to minimize the amount of testing necessary. Unfortunately for me, the cost of reflective vinyl here varies between $5 - $15 per square foot, so any reduction in time and material while trying to get the right settings is very helpful. Thanks!!

Hey Haumana ,

I thought of you last night while watching UFC 131 ( sending you a PM for the best way to watch it ). How have you been ?

I would take the blade holder by hand & cut an edge of the vinyl & adjust until you barely make a mark in the backing paper . I use alot of force & do that when changing vinyls , especially reflective & heat transfer .

Hey Haumana ,

I thought of you last night while watching UFC 131 ( sending you a PM for the best way to watch it ). How have you been ?

I would take the blade holder by hand & cut an edge of the vinyl & adjust until you barely make a mark in the backing paper . I use alot of force & do that when changing vinyls , especially reflective & heat transfer .

Hey Rodger! Yup... I watched UFC, and was waiting for the referee to stop the Carwin fight towards the end of the first round... Either way, Junior still won. It looked like Carwin was gassing out after taking the first round beating.

Thanks for the advice on the reflective. I'm surprised at how much easier it was to "dial in" the generic stuff I bought off of eBay over the Oracal. But then again, the Oracal is a lot thicker than the generic, but not as reflective :( Oh well, in a perfect situation, the 3M stuff would be dirt cheap and easily accessible to me. hahahaha.

The D.O.T. quality reflective is even more thick ,harder to cut etc ( i think they cal it " engineer " quality ) .

I was surprised the ref did not stop the fight . Carwin was keeping his hands in front of his face , so he was defending himself . He weathered that storm & took the beating JDS handed him the next 2 rounds . Carwin is a very tough man !!! I hope Brock Lesner gets whooped by everybody he fights including any rematch with Frank Mir . Lesner's attitude sucks IMO . who do you think will win between Cain V----des & JDS ?

The D.O.T. quality reflective is even more thick ,harder to cut etc ( i think they cal it " engineer " quality ) .

I was surprised the ref did not stop the fight . Carwin was keeping his hands in front of his face , so he was defending himself . He weathered that storm & took the beating JDS handed him the next 2 rounds . Carwin is a very tough man !!! I hope Brock Lesner gets whooped by everybody he fights including any rematch with Frank Mir . Lesner's attitude sucks IMO . who do you think will win between Cain V----des & JDS ?

Engineering is thicker? hahaha. the cheapy generic I got from eBay said that it was enginerd grade. It's thinner than the Oracal 5300, but definitely more reflective than the Oracal - much easier to cut and weed too. Go figure.

Yah, I'm not a fan of Lesnar. He didn't deserve a title shot in the first place. Then all these health issues that he's having. I don't deny it's real, but come on - diverticular can be managed by your diet, which obviously he isn't doing if he's eating crap that's hazardous to his condition. LOSER!

Cain vs. Junior... touch call - Cain has got some really heavy hands and throws some serious bombs, but I think Junior has better hand speed. I was hoping to see what his ground game looked like a little more, but he seemed to be pretty damn effective from one position into the next. I was hoping that he'd get that crucifix submission, since you rarely see those in the octagon.

In an idea world, I'd like to see Anderson Silva vs. Lesnar, or Silva vs. GSP. Although Lyoto Machida/Lesnar would be a good fight too. It's a shame that there's the whole weight class restriction. Hey when Penn was at the top of his game, to told UFC that he'd fight anyone in any weight class, but Dana White wasn't having any part of that. It's amazing how fast these fighters careers in the UFC come and go in a flash :o( I miss Andre Arlovski, Tim Sylvia, Stephan Bonnar, and some of the (not so old) guys. Lots of great fighters, lots of fights that I'd like to see :o)

I know what you mean . A buddy bought me tickets to the Srikeforce HW tourny in New jersey . I seen Arlovski fight . he has been a favorite of mine . he has changed camps & might be able to get back to where he was . I figured Silva was too big for Fedor . Fedor is loosing most fights when he knocks the guy out ( Arlovski fight a prime example ) . The ticket was $175 & was in the nose blled section .. they told me UFC fights are even more expensive . it was fun seeing al the fighters walking around the motel ( I ewas standing beside Victor Belfort & didn't realize it was him ) but I will never pay to go to a fight especially since you can watch the fight better at home .. especially when i know of a free site to watch them on :)

I know what you mean . A buddy bought me tickets to the Srikeforce HW tourny in New jersey . I seen Arlovski fight . he has been a favorite of mine . he has changed camps & might be able to get back to where he was . I figured Silva was too big for Fedor . Fedor is loosing most fights when he knocks the guy out ( Arlovski fight a prime example ) . The ticket was $175 & was in the nose blled section .. they told me UFC fights are even more expensive . it was fun seeing al the fighters walking around the motel ( I ewas standing beside Victor Belfort & didn't realize it was him ) but I will never pay to go to a fight especially since you can watch the fight better at home .. especially when i know of a free site to watch them on :)

$175? Ouch! I have a couple of family members that make the trek to Vegas when there's a huge UFC fight. I'm sure the fights feel totally different in person, but I like being able to sit in air conditioned comfort without being surrounded by a bunch of drunk fans that are shouting in my ear. Not to mention on TV, they try to get you the optimal camera angle and you get the benefit of the color commentary from Joe Rogan. My friends have a UFC party every once in a while - but it sucks when they have a house full of people and the fight is cut short or if it's uneventful :o( I usually just watch it in my office, on my puter :o)

i always get invited to a guys house about 10 miles away , all I need to do is buy some food . I went 1 time & it was fun , but I like sitting in front of the computer better also . Do what i want ehen I want & don't have to drive home after ponnding a few . It is nice to see you onthe forums , hope you stay active :) .

I use reflective all day I'm over city sign shop. I found adding depth in cutter blade is only way unlless black it is thinner then all the others. i use avery n 3m . iorder my supplies with them n get blue green red white yellow orange black under $3.50 YD MUST 12" SOME 24" MY BLADE IS alot more out than on other vinyl. it is d.o.t approved 7YRS,the black is the hardest to work with I HAVE BEEN USEING REFLECTIVE FOR OVER 8YRS. PEOPLE WILL PAY MORE WHEN THEY SEE THE SHINE WHEN LIGNTS HIT IT AT NIGHT.

Is there a 75 degree blade available for your cutter? Its the best for reflective, also try extending your blade out to between .8mm and 1.2mm. The density of reflective push back on the blade and it needs extra depth. On my ZCB we run 3M IJ680 at 1.1mm Blade depth with pressure set to 200g and speed at 75cm/m with a 75 degree blade.