XLII-Guy

Home Made Sandwich Boards

Hello All,

Monday night I stopped by one of my favorite client's store to drop off some logo decals he had ordered. He asks me if I can get sandwich boards. I tell him that I can. He asks me how much it would be to custom make some out of plywood. So, I shoot down to my local Lowe's and price out the materials, (plywood, hinges, eye hooks, chain, etc...) add my markup + vinyl, call him with a price & he says "I'll take two. Can I have those by the end of the week?". Attached is a pic of the raw materials. I'll post more pics as the project progresses.

Has anybody else done this before? Some tips would be appreciated as I'm pretty much winging it right now...

post-12147-0-59881700-1307628899_thumb.j

I suppose I should show where I'm going with the design. Below is the mock-up...

post-12147-0-33949600-1307629598_thumb.j

very nice looking so far. would you mind shearing the arrow on your sign This way thanks

very nice looking so far. would you mind shearing the arrow on your sign This way thanks

No problem... Just open the PDF in Illustrator or CorelDRAW and save as an EPS. I would post the EPS but it weighs in at 2.3MB...

Arrows 2.pdf

So, while I was waiting for the client to approve the final mock-up, I added the border and essentially sealed the plywood.

post-12147-0-73505800-1307702364_thumb.j

So, while I was waiting for the client to approve the final mock-up, I added the border and essentially sealed the plywood.

I see the sandblast cabinet in the background, how do you like it. I have been wanting to get one of those.

I see the sandblast cabinet in the background, how do you like it. I have been wanting to get one of those.

I love it... Works like a charm and it opens up a whole new market.

How much materials in each sign?.....How much time did it take you?.....Are you concerned about durability compared to a "non wood" product?....

How much materials in each sign?.....

Enough to cover a 2' x 4' area...

How much time did it take you?.....

More than it would take me next time I do something like this, but less than I had estimated.

Are you concerned about durability compared to a "non wood" product?....

I classify this project as "Experimental". As these signs will be displayed along a route I travel often, I will be looking at them closely to see if they receive any "Ill Effects" from the weather.

Project photos. In order of appearance:

1st White Layer

Black Layer

post-12147-0-29166900-1307976416_thumb.j

post-12147-0-10899200-1307976431_thumb.j

How much $s in materials in each sign?....

$47,000,000

How much time in hours and minutes in each sign?....

16 Years

Why so interested in the cost details? Are you going to tell me that I should have charged seven times what I did? If so, don't bother...

No, I thought folks would be interested in some useful information.....Sorry for them you needed to act like an "ass".....

No, I thought folks would be interested in some useful information.....Sorry for them you needed to act like an "ass".....

You've only yourself to blame, Roxy..people expect you to act a certain way.And you have encouraged it.

• Like 3

Cost of materials will differ depending on where you buy them. Some folks will pay more, while others will pay less depending on their location. The time it took me to produce this project might be longer than some folks out there and shorter than others. I suppose it would depend on your experience...

I don't believe that I was acting like an "ass" as you so insultingly put it. Previous experience with your posts led me to believe that you would chastise me for not charging the client for my time, the materials, the tools used, the electricity used, the computer used to design it, the gas used to deliver the signs, etc... plus a hefty upcharge.

• Like 2

Well, I am with roxy on this one and wondering if materials and time were cheaper than a 55 bucks for a signcade a-frame cause costs vary by location and time was less than thought tells me nothing.

I think we are just curious if we want to try this. Nothing more or nothing less.

• Like 3

Well, I am with roxy on this one and wondering if materials and time were cheaper than a 55 bucks for a signcade a-frame cause costs vary by location and time was less than thought tells me nothing.

I think we are just curious if we want to try this. Nothing more or nothing less.

I see your point & understand/agree .. but even though I enjoy Roxy's forum imput ... I was wondering if she was gonna go down the road XL11-Guy ( Tim ) referred to . I think Roxy has turned the corner & is being more like " 1 of the crew " instead of how she used to be . I think John & Tim were making fair , honest assesments & giving honest perspectives ( well maybe except for Tim's humorous $$$ amounts :) ). I don't think Roxy was going down that road though . Roxy has given some very good input , regardless if you like her or not ( Like i have said several times , she should take the " probably " out of her signature line :D ) . :thumbsup:

I would like an idea of where to start on a project like that as well but I can just estimate T&M I suppose,

All the materials were purchased at a local Lowe's

Handi-panel 1/2" x 2' x 4' - $15 each (2)

Door Hinges (2) - $4 each (2)

Eye screws - $4 package of 12

Snap Links - $1.50 each (2)

18" of brass chain - $1 per foot

GRAND TOTAL FOR EACH SIGN - $44.50 +/-

Add whatever your cost is for 16 sq ft of vinyl for each color you're going to use (An over-estimate) and you get your total for materials. The whole process took me about 7 hours all told. It may take you less time. I split up the project over a few days. It usually takes me about a half an hour to "get in the groove" so, if I had done the whole project in one sitting, it probably would have taken me 5 +/- hours... That time estimate was for two signs...

The client was delighted and I'm certain I'll be getting more work from him.

• Like 1

All the materials were purchased at a local Lowe's

Handi-panel 1/2" x 2' x 4' - $15 each (2)

Door Hinges (2) - $4 each (2)

Eye screws - $4 package of 12

Snap Links - $1.50 each (2)

18" of brass chain - $1 per foot

GRAND TOTAL FOR EACH SIGN - $44.50 +/-

Add whatever your cost is for 16 sq ft of vinyl for each color you're going to use (An over-estimate) and you get your total for materials. The whole process took me about 7 hours all told. It may take you less time. I split up the project over a few days. It usually takes me about a half an hour to "get in the groove" so, if I had done the whole project in one sitting, it probably would have taken me 5 +/- hours... That time estimate was for two signs...

The client was delighted and I'm certain I'll be getting more work from him.

All of the sudden these seem like quite the bargain

http://www.uscutter.com/SimpoSign-II-White-Granite_p_644.html