dbtoutfit

Going from Solvent (Ink) to Thermal (again the cheap way)

K Guys, I honestly don't know if this has been discussed on the forum but I figured I'd add the info anyways...

As I have stated before I really wanted to print direct to vinyl like White or Clear Oracal 651.

Well... Drum roll..... I have done it on the cheap and cheap.

I had a drop of 651 in my hand and my brothers laser printer caught my eye as I walked by....

I jumped on Adobe Ill grabbed a decal and thru the 651 in the manual feed slot and said $#$# it you only live once and hit print.

To my amazement it printed directly to the 651 and looked great!

So then I thru in some clear 651 and bam! again looked great!

Then I said ok now time for the real deal. I printed a full sheet in houndstooth pattern (if you cut houndstooth you know how hard to get or much $ it is)and it looked great!

Some important details...

1) Not all laser printers will work, some heat the drum too hot and will ruin said drum, and melt crap all in your machine.

2) Depending on how your laser printer feeds paper will depend on if this will work in your machine.

3) You still need to use a over laminate but toner isn't subject to UV as inks are but its can scratch off, however if for an example you go into photoshop and make a

blank 8.5 x 11 document, then stick your printed vinyl back in (after it cools off) and print the blank image, (do this about 3 times) it does fuse the toner petty

well to the vinyl. (not really needed so long as you use the over lay.

4) Make sure you have your printer set to the highest and best res and/or quality.

5) Be sure as soon as the vinyl comes out of your printer you lay it flat RIGHT THEN! Its soft and when it cools its going to be a pain in the arse to work with in your

vinyl cutter if it curls not to mention applying the laminate.

Here's a few pics of what I have done so far using the Laser printing process.

post-2038-0-48269500-1306600907_thumb.jp

post-2038-0-84535500-1306600995_thumb.jp

We've got a Dell 3110n and HP 4050T that I've been meaning to try some 3m ControlTac in. I do run ImageStixx for stickers thru the Dell and have found the end product has a better finish than pigmented ink from an Epson. The heat from the Dell appears to smooth the pores on the surface of the media, giving it a better gloss.

With regard to "... Not all laser printers will work, some heat the drum too hot and will ruin said drum, and melt crap all in your machine..." I have seen that before; however have yet to find a source that identifies which printers are safe.

• Like 1

So what kind of printer was it that you used?

Theoretically any laser printer, its going to be hit or miss.

Eric

Theoretically any laser printer, its going to be hit or miss.

Eric

Hence why I asked what you used. This would allow others with the same printer to possibly test.

Thanks for this Post!! I have an old HP LaserJet 1100 and I decided to give it a try and I worked perfectly! Thanks Again!

I have a OKI C5500 and thought of doing it but afraid it gets to hot for the vinyl. Oki tech says it runs at 450 degrees at its top temp.

What paper selection are you using when sending the vinyl through ?

Thanks

mark