- $500-$1500 price range

- color

Whats the best vinyl cutter for me?

- pre-cuts

- print for outdoor/car decals

- print for t-shirts

- $500-$1500 price range

- color

There are a couple things you will need to evaluate. What size of decals would you like to do>? Also- for 1500$ you won't find a device that will do both, unless of course its broken.

You will need a printer to do any kind of printing, there are less expensive ways and better ways (not the same) of doing that as well as extra materials you will need for this in addition to ink.

In a cutter- How wide would you like? This limits your size. Materials needed? Only you know what you like to do with it... Less expensive cutters track less straight limiting the length you can cut too, not just width. And here, color is dependent on the vinyl you buy.

Shirts? You'll need a press for these too- another piece of equipment. Not likely you can even get all 3 for 1500$... Unless you want no startup material and super cheapie equipment.

Just my 2 cents. Pick one of the above as a start and get acclimated first- get your feet wet, then add and expand.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I can start with just printing high quality stickers. I think a 24" is more than enough for me. But I want a machine that can cut. If anyone know a good machine that can print/cut good stickers let me know thanks.

The new Roland BN-20 that prints AND cuts was just released... starting price is around $8,000. You won't find one machine to do both, even used for less than $5,000-.... Like I said, unless it's broken of course.

You would have to settle for a 24" cutter capable of contour cutting.... MINIMUM COST will be 500$ for one of these, and not super awesome fantastic quality that can track like its on train rails, and a printer, you can get any wide-format pigment inkjet printer with a CIS system preinstalled for around 350$ or sho shipped. Now you're at 850$ with NO supplies or tools (You will need special inkjet aqueous vinyl to print on this way...) ..... If you're contour cutting you need a machine that is pretty accurate and I am finding even my laserpoint 24 (uscutter machine, 500$) Cuts "ok" for this use, but I am not as impressed with it as I am a Roland Gx-24 or Graphtec machine like guys near me have.... Also you will need a ton of patience to get it all dialed in and tuned right for the process. It has taken me 6-8 months to learn what I need to be proficient at even just using my cutter, let alone the printer I just bought and making my cutter and it cooperate and play nice together.

Trust me- you won't be able to do both WELL for under 1500$.... I would say buy a decent cutter, and some plain colored vinyl and start there.... pay for that machine with some vinyl and then buy a printer. Make sure you want this stuff and like the work or it will be a waste of money and time.

Wanna make it all easy? Tack another zero onto your budget.

I notice some of the guys here are printing stickers with $100-$300 printers.

I also saw your thread you said you used Epson WF1100. I think thats good enough for me. What cutter do you recommend?

Any cutter will really contour cut, but depends on how large of format you want and what you would like to spend in time and software.

The max size of the epson is around 12" x 44", however successfully I have only been able to print 24-26" or so. Also it takes a TON of practice. Not for your average person. It has take me over 6 months to get this far. I started out with just a cutter, practiced A LOT on regular vinyl to understand the functions of the machine as you have tracking, blade depth, pressure, speed etc all to account for. Throwing contour cutting in the mix will blow your mind if you do not know your cutter inside and out first. Also if you just buy the epson off the shelf at your local office supply store you're looking at 80+$ each time you need to get new ink carts. Go to Richard and Cobra Ink and get one with a CIS System.... well worth it, but will set you back just over 300 bones.... Lets just say by now I would have emptied my ink carts in a standard printer twice and have barely touched my ink supply with a CISS. On the other hand, your OP said you wanted to print High Quality decals... all you can find for Aqueous vinyl that is compatible with the Epson is calendared films which have a very short term outdoor life and you will still have color fading.

Not saying it is not a successful way of printing etc. but you really ultimately are only looking at decals with a life of 3, maybe 4 years if you use GOOD material out of an epson printer.... Not long term use anyways. Solvent and Eco-Sol printers product last a lot longer and can go much larger format but prepare to eat it in the shorts for one of these bad dads...

I would go no less than the Laserpoint like I have if you're on a budget. Here @ uscutter it is 500$ with a stand and shipping roughly, take it from the horses mouth tho- you will WISH you had a better one. The LP for me doesn't track the greatest and can be VERY tempermental. Also for cutting and printing software I am using both SignCut Pro (300$ lifetime license) and FlexiSign Pro (normally a 4500$ license)..... Also no matter what plotter you buy, get a QUALITY serial to USB keyspan adapter if your computer only has USB and no serial/db9/rs232 connection.

Don't think I am trying to talk you out of anything, or that it is not possible, but you get what you pay for and no less.... Prepare to spend money to make it and not a few bucks- you will have some serious cash involved to do quality work. Setting up shop out of my home I have almost 5,000$ invested and my cutter is only 10% of that cost and I have barely scratched the surface yet. Figure a decent computer, software, tools and supplies, material for normal use, special material here and there etc.

• Like 1

Ok I think I'm gonna get the epson from cobra. Then for vinyl sheets, sihl-3635.

Thanks a lot VM.

Dont forget some sort of laminate too.... you need to protect your printing from scratches, UV and water still....

Also for a cutter what were you looking @? or are you going to cut out by hand?

What laminate sheets do you think I should get?

I will starting out cutting by hand [rectangles], then probably buy a Roland gx-24.

Either need some Oragaurd 210 or Mactac CG8000 (this is what I am using) It is essentially 3mil UV resistant protective clear vinyl. It comes in rolls.

Definitely smart to save your money and buy a worth-while cutter. However I may recommend looking at the Graphtec CE5000 24" model as it comes with a stand and you have the ability later to add a media catch basket etc.

• Like 1

Whats the best vinyl cutter for me?

- pre-cuts

- print for outdoor/car decals

- print for t-shirts

- $500-$1500 price range

- color

Copam or better as that is where the profesional series starts . I have 2 Copmas & would try the cheaper Zen if buying a cutter now ( the better Zen if money was flowing good ).

Copam or better as that is where the profesional series starts . I have 2 Copmas & would try the cheaper Zen if buying a cutter now ( the better Zen if money was flowing good ).

How does the copam stack up against a graphtec? I have found that I would be willing to pay twice what is necessary to gurantee good tracking as my laserpoint leaves a lot to be desired in that arena... A guy down the road from me that has a 64" graphtec was telling me they have had cuts 70' long with less than a 1/16th inch of drift. Pretty impressive if you ask me...

copam cuts intricate things great but nothing like the graphtecs - for the ultimate the fc series is incredible but the ce isn't bad

copam cuts intricate things great but nothing like the graphtecs - for the ultimate the fc series is incredible but the ce isn't bad

AND... I do get that ULTIMATE experience whenever I use my Graphtec FC :)

AND... I do get that ULTIMATE experience whenever I use my Graphtec FC :)

drool

oracal 651 or 751

I second this, HOWEVER, a lot of these are not "Printed" alot of these are just cut vinyl. Also you CANNOT print on oracal vinyl with an Epson 1100.

I second this, HOWEVER, a lot of these are not "Printed" alot of these are just cut vinyl. Also you CANNOT print on oracal vinyl with an Epson 1100.

sorry the ones shown in the link were not printed they were cut. I still use Oracal products for printed items also

sorry the ones shown in the link were not printed they were cut. I still use Oracal products for printed items also

Sorry, poor wording on my part, that is what I meant. A few posts back the OP author was looking at small printers such as the Epson 1100.... which will not print on oracal vinyl as far as i know without some sort of UV ink curing system.....