tc3jg

Graphics on rear windows with blades

Hello everyone so I have a question I just started doing rear window decals for clubs, business etc, my question is what do you think the life span of a large window graphic/sign would be on the back of a van with a windshield wiper blade swinging over it? I know after the first swing it would not pull it off but long term what are your thoughts? I am Illinois so we do have pretty harsh winters and it can rain all week at times.

Thanks in advance

Too bad you couldn't do a reverse and mount inside but you couldn't see it barely at all though. It would tear it up I imagine not to mention ice scrapersso I would at least use a high quality vinyl that is a bit tougher.I put one on my back window about a month ago so we will see here next season. so far it's holding very well through the car wash and the window squeegee.

not much of a test yet though.

i had a small vinyl decal on the rear window of my GTI for quite some time (2 years?) and the rear wiper never seemed to affect it in any way. it was small with quite a bit of detail so there many edges exposed, and it never pealed or showed any wear. i don't remember the specific vinyl i used, but it was 3M. just to give a point of perspective, i lived in seattle at the time, so you can imagine the amount of precipitation that i dealt with. :) i can't really speak of the ice/snow aspect.

that being said, i think its going to come down to the specifics of the wiper. the GTI wiper blades were really great in that the blade itself was made of a soft silicone. some others may be older and a bit more stiff which may cause problems, depending on the location of the decal with relationship to the wiper. i'd simply prep them with that info before installing.

Hello everyone so I have a question I just started doing rear window decals for clubs, business etc, my question is what do you think the life span of a large window graphic/sign would be on the back of a van with a windshield wiper blade swinging over it? I know after the first swing it would not pull it off but long term what are your thoughts? I am Illinois so we do have pretty harsh winters and it can rain all week at times.

Thanks in advance

Regular vinyl, calendered or cast should be fine. But some cast vinyl like florescent and the type that are not color all the way through. With florescent it will eventually fade and the wiper will wipe the color off. I have seen most time where it had wiped off a portion of lettering with calendered vinyl. But in defense of the vinyl, the wiper was like down to the insert and scratching the glass.

Thanks in advance

This has been on the back of the family van for a year with lots of scraping,wipers etc. still good so far( oracal 651)post-4118-0-47060500-1304719372_thumb.jp

Awesome everyone thanks for the fast replies one of the reasons I love this forum so much :D I guess you could just say it depends on the case by case application but to minimize the possibility it will get pulled off it is best to use a very hi quality vinyl during the application process and to check if the blade is scraping the glass in the location the graphic will go. Of course warn the customer.

But yes unfortunately the window is not clear so I cant install on the inside :'(