sleeveofwizzard

packaging and shipping large vinyl decal

Hi,

I am logged into my husbands account, so let's ignore the name. Anyway, I have been making wall art and sending them in large flat envelopes. I just did an order that is quite large though. It is 20x20 inches. I have it ready and I need to ship it out. Problem is, I have no idea what to send it in.If I roll it and put it in a box, the box still has to be at least 20 or so inches. I don't want to ship it in a huge box! I only charged a small fee for the shipping and I am sure that I will lose money on it but it is too late now. I was thinking I need to roll it or something...but what should I send it in? How do you guys ship larger items? What do you charge for shipping? Is the long tube the best bet? I need to have this shipped out today if possible. Please help!! Thanks :)

Hi,

I am logged into my husbands account, so let's ignore the name. Anyway, I have been making wall art and sending them in large flat envelopes. I just did an order that is quite large though. It is 20x20 inches. I have it ready and I need to ship it out. Problem is, I have no idea what to send it in.If I roll it and put it in a box, the box still has to be at least 20 or so inches. I don't want to ship it in a huge box! I only charged a small fee for the shipping and I am sure that I will lose money on it but it is too late now. I was thinking I need to roll it or something...but what should I send it in? How do you guys ship larger items? What do you charge for shipping? Is the long tube the best bet? I need to have this shipped out today if possible. Please help!! Thanks :)

Yes, use the large tube and roll it :thumbsup:

Thank you!

when rolling it up to ship, make sure that the vinyl side is towards the outside of the roll! it will keep it firmly attached to the backing that way. if you roll it with the backing-side out the vinyl sometimes has a tendancy to wrinkle/bubble/pull away from the backing. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

when rolling it up to ship, make sure that the vinyl side is towards the outside of the roll! it will keep it firmly attached to the backing that way. if you roll it with the backing-side out the vinyl sometimes has a tendancy to wrinkle/bubble/pull away from the backing. :thumbsup:

Thank you, I didn't even think of that! Thankfully, that is the way I have it rolled already. :)

Also if you ship priority mail they will send you tubes and boxes for free, and the shipping cost is a little lower online also. USPS.com

If you are shipping USPS Priority, they offer triangular long boxes (3 sided tube) for free. If you are shipping first class, USPS has mailing tubes that they sell inside of their branches. Roll it up and put it inside. Tube should cost no more than $3.

I usually charge around $5 shipping for anything that goes out in a tube. If you do many large decals, it is best to order your tubes from uline in bulk (they come out to about $.90 for a 3" by 24")

I make it a habit to save the boxes that my 24" vinyl comes in, as well as those empty roll tubes that remain when the vinyl runs out.

I don't ship out any work currently, but I've got a good supply of packing materials if I ever need to !!!

I have been having trouble with rolling decals.  I have rolled them to put in a 2" tube but the decal gets wavy even when I roll with the decal on the outside.  Is the tube to small or am I just being a brute with the decal?  Any suggestions?

They are about 20" high and about 36" in length.  I roll into into a tube then hold the inside to tighten it down to fit in the 2" tube.  I can see it start to ripple up which concerns me.  I thought maybe I needed a large diameter tube.

I roll decals loosely, and use boxes.  It also depends on the transfer tape, I use paper transfer tape, which rolls nicely.