Sign in to follow this  
pchambrin

Paper Application Tape for Layered Vinyl

I am fairly new to the vinyl game (a year and a half), and have been creeping on this forum for a bit and have found it to be an invaluable resource. Thank you all for your help over the last couple of years. However, I have a couple of questions about Layered vinyl. I recently did a job for a friend that didn't turn out quite perfect (4 colors, had come bubbles) and when searching the boards I found a few interesting bits.

1. Some people have been talking about wet application when layering their graphics. Do this refer to final install or when actually making a RTA (ready to apply) graphic? I have never heard of using fluid during the layering process in terms of making the decals, only when doing final application. Any info would help.

2. I have also seen people reference putting paper application tape of their layered graphics. How would I do this if I layered with clear application tape already?

I hope these aren't really dumb questions. If they are, hopefully they have easy answers. I searched quite a bit for a good video or topic but couldn't fund it.

P.S: I have been doing layered graphics using clear application tape and registration marks on each color and matching them up. It has worked until recently.

No you cant do RTA layered decals wet the backing paper will get all gummy & ruin the decal, wet is for installing onto the substrate.

You can use paper tape instead of clear if you have a light table to help line up your registration marks. Another way is mask the top layer with paper tape leaving the registration marks exposed, then apply a piece of clear packing tape over the registration marks & the top edge of the paper tape. This will help you see the marks better & when you are done you cut the registration marks off anyways so the customer never sees the clear tape.

Cheers!

Ben

Thank you for the help Ben. Both of those are really good ideas. I have been using the clear app tape for awhile but now I need to use the paper tape to redo a job I kinda messed up.

Thanks again!