Sign in to follow this  
Grim

Rounded edges are not curved

I have a ZenCut Black 24" cutter, using Greatcut because Signcut pro keeps freezing whenever I go to cut option. The problem i'm having is when I cut out words or any graphic with a rounded edge say like the a curve of a circle it doesn't make a clean rounded edge it makes low quality lines connected together to complete the rounded edge.

In other words it makes a very blocky image instead of a smooth clean circle.

I have a ZenCut Black 24" cutter, using Greatcut because Signcut pro keeps freezing whenever I go to cut option. The problem i'm having is when I cut out words or any graphic with a rounded edge say like the a curve of a circle it doesn't make a clean rounded edge it makes low quality lines connected together to complete the rounded edge.

In other words it makes a very blocky image instead of a smooth clean circle.

Sounds like you have your blade out too far, only need the very tip showing.

Sounds like you have your blade out too far, only need the very tip showing.

Ive got the blade set to 2mm which is the thickness of my vinyl its cutting perfectly but the image's edge is blocky instead of a smooth circle but I think its got more to do with the original image itself.

The text is Arial but when its exported after converting and all to the greatcut if you zoom into the lines it shows that is is blocky and not a perfect circle, I just tried another image that when zoomed in didn't have to blocky look to the line and it cut allot better. But another image which was a skull made specifically for vinyl machine it cut blocky but I guess these machines are just really picky.

I could still use help on how to get a smoother Text though any suggestions on what type to use Arial just came out way to blocky it makes O's look like an octagon.

you can zoom the image real big on wireframe. and look at it before cutting. If it is the image, you will just have to correct it before cutting. If you give the machine a nice round circle design, it should cut a nice round circle design.

Smoother text? Find the font and put it on your design yourself.

Brother if you have yer blade sticking out 2 millimeters you are WAAAAAAAY off, the term 2 mil vinyl refers to 2 thousandths of an inch thick. 2 Millimeters is 120 thou. When you are in your cutting software switch to wireframe view & show all control points, if there are alot of nodes the thing will cut jagged. You should only have a node on a direction change so for instance a zero should only have 2 nodes, one for the start/end of the inside circle & one for the start/end of the outside circle.

Ben

Brother if you have yer blade sticking out 2 millimeters you are WAAAAAAAY off, the term 2 mil vinyl refers to 2 thousandths of an inch thick. 2 Millimeters is 120 thou. When you are in your cutting software switch to wireframe view & show all control points, if there are alot of nodes the thing will cut jagged. You should only have a node on a direction change so for instance a zero should only have 2 nodes, one for the start/end of the inside circle & one for the start/end of the outside circle.

Ben

Thanks for the replies but as for the 2mm comment the mm is the only incorrect part I didn't mean it in that way but My blade older has numbers marked on them 1 through 4 or something like that, and mine is on the 2 which designates for 2 mil vinyl when taking the blade holder off and measuring it does not stick out more than half the size of a credit card its barely visible that it even comes out, I know its not the blade height.

Anyway thank you for the feedback and Ive already solved the problem was just the images themselves, as for the text I was using the text in coreldraw and setting the outline etc but it came out like crap so i'll just search the net for text related tutorials. I just couldn't find any info on the blocky text is why I resorted to posting here.

Not sure if the numbers on the blade holder are accurate......I have an Expert 24 and my blade is set at 0 and I use the same setting for Oracal 751, 651, 631 and Siser Easy Weed.....And I think my blade is out far less than 1/2 a credit card....

and 1/2 the thickness of a credit card is way too much blade - also is this a refine machine? (remember mader anyone?)

and 1/2 the thickness of a credit card is way too much blade - also is this a refine machine? (remember mader anyone?)

it's a Zencut.

duh, I didn't read the first line very well did I? I have no experience with that one. post your file and we will look at it

A simple way to set your blade is to take the blade holder with the blade out of the machine..Get a scrap of vinyl..Place the scrap on your cutting table..Put a lot of prssure down on it and drag the blade across the scrap if it cuts the backing your tooo extended on the blade..Keep adjusting your blade depth untill you get it to not cut the backing and only cut completely through the vinyl..Let your cutter use pressure to cut not the length of the blade...

simple as pie, or falling off a log..LOL..Hope it helps.. :lol:

A simple way to set your blade is to take the blade holder with the blade out of the machine..Get a scrap of vinyl..Place the scrap on your cutting table..Put a lot of prssure down on it and drag the blade across the scrap if it cuts the backing your tooo extended on the blade..Keep adjusting your blade depth untill you get it to not cut the backing and only cut completely through the vinyl..Let your cutter use pressure to cut not the length of the blade...

simple as pie, or falling off a log..LOL..Hope it helps.. :lol:

Sorry I've not looked back at this post because I figured it all out, I should of told you it was solved sorry about that. I figured it was the text files themselves and found the correct format for text and fixed the horrible lines and now cuts perfectly straight.

As for the blade on the ZenCut Black Iv'e currently got it set to the 2 and it cuts a very easy weed'able design and doesn't cut through the backing at all. I'm not sure if I should go and do it the way you guys said if it's working fine but maybe its a diff pressure setting to to go with the way you guy's have your blade.

Either way thanks for all the replies they where all helpful.

glad you got it figured out, and stopped back to say so....

I just checked on the blade settings and you guys where right thank you for pointing it out my blade wasn't cutting through the backing only cause the force setting was low enough not to press through the backing but when testing it on a scrap piece on a cutting table it was to far and cut the backing.

Thanks for the table tip helped me a bunch.