CFMEA

Adobe Illustrator

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie to vinyl cutting, and I see a number of people referencing Adobe Illustrator, but I can't seem to figure out how to cut the images. I'm using CS5 (Illustrator) and I have a brand new MH871, and of course SignBlazer Elements which came with the cutter.

I created an EPS file with Adobe Illustrator, and when I try to import it into SignBlazer I get a blank page, but no graphic. Does anyone have some "step by step" instructions for cutting an EPS file? I'd very much appreciate any help that you can provide.

All the best,

Alicia

SignBlazer is an older program so you have to save the files in Illy 8 I have CS4 and that is what they told me.

Just a thought/question. Couldn't you import it into Inkscape, change it to an eps file and then import it into SBE?

illy and Inkscape are the same type of software...no need to do that. Also if you are doing Aircraft graphics be sure to check with the manufacturer on specs for that type of job. air speed and very low temps with aircraft. I would at least use top line product but check for sure.

Yea just save it as version 8 and it should work.

No problems with mine yet.

Also make sure the eps file you have created is an actual VECTOR, you cant just take a jpeg & resave it as an eps you have to live trace or "vectorize" it first. Save it as eps version 8 or earlier as stated above.

Ben

Thanks everyone.... I'll try vectorizing it first, then save as a version 8 EPS file. I assume that all I do after that is just open it with SBE?

Alicia

that should work. Also if you want to outline the font in Illy too just in case your SB doesn't have that font. Also look at the graphic in outlines in SB to see what will cut. You can edit nodes there too. that is under modify

I've used SB with Illy CS2-CS4. Don't bother exporting/importing, just Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V the graphic from Illy into SB.

I've used SB with Illy CS2-CS4. Don't bother exporting/importing, just Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V the graphic from Illy into SB.

Good point! That sound you hear is me slapping my forehead with the palm of my hand!!