Wench

Swing-arm Cap Heat Press

Finally had our cap press problem addressed. We purchased the economical swing-arm cap press from US Cutter, and it has always created a permanent crease along the top of caps (the back edge on the press). Couldn't find anything on the forum, and couldn't get technical support from US Cutter. A tech named Benjamin actually told us that "if you buy a car, the dealership won't teach you how to drive" as his reasoning for US Cutter not trying to resolve the faulty machine's problem.

But finally got through to a tech named Howard who worked until he figured it out. On the "economical" model, 1) the bottom platen isn't adjustable, and 2) the bottom rubber pad extends past the top plate on the back and front edges. That causes the top metal edge to dig the cloth down into the rubber and create that permanent crease.

The real answer of course is that the machine is designed wrong. But as it's been longer than 30 days and we can't afford the "good" press, he came up with the unofficial solution of shaving the rubber down so that the edges 'fall off' and don't hit the upper metal. Will follow-up post to report if it worked.

Cool so we are turning a pinto into a mercedes now!! weeeeeeeeeeeee

You get what you pay for...... I learned that when I was a child.

Glad you have it fixed now!

Great job Howard! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! dry.gif

Cool so we are turning a pinto into a mercedes now!! weeeeeeeeeeeee

You get what you pay for...... I learned that when I was a child.

Glad you have it fixed now!

Great job Howard! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! dry.gif

Did you know that a pinto is more aerodynamic backwards than forward :huh: back when they were used in NHRA Pro Stock Drag Racing , several teams wanted to be allowed to mount the bodies backwards after the research determined that .

I also am glad you/Howard figured out what was causing the problem & also hope your fix works . I am also glad you have a mature outlook & are controlling the frustration that comes from a situation like yours . :thumbsup:

Things should work , but knowing what is going on is essential in any business . I bought a cheap 6-in-1 heat press & figured out some trimming was needed . I assume when I buy lower end products , there will be compromises compared to the higher end products . I have read many threads where customers don't know much at all about the business /hobby they are trying out with USCutter products . I was 1 of those . Computer wise , I knew how to surf the net using AOL & not much more . I thought I knew something about vinyl cutting since I had a buddy who has cut vinyl for 30-40 years , but found out I didn't . Dealing with people who get & show frustration partly because they don't have any experience in the business/hobby they have jumped knee deep into has to be trying . I think Benjamin has a point . Buying a claw hammer does not make you a carpenter , buying a car does not make you a driver , buying a tractor trailer does not make you a CDL driver . I move Mobile Homes & anybody buying a Mobile Home toter & trying to move a 14' X 70 ' or bigger mobile home BETTER have some experience . I'm sure experience would have helped you find the problem faster . Probably a generic pad the manufacture supplied with the heat press . Better instructions could be helpful ..& a simple trim around as needed instruction would have helped ... but I have seen instructions that covered every possibility be worse than no instructions . My father in law wrote the instruction manuals for WestingHouse defense stuff . His explanations would lose most people & those manuals seems like law books that needed several lawyers to determine what was meant . ;)