Sign in to follow this  
Highfly!

Vinyl on Model RC Planes Recommendations

Hi,

I just started to use Oracal vinyl and would like some recommendation for the following.

My primary use is for model airplanes where I will be covering large closed surfaces such as foam, fiberglass or wood (balsa). Weight is of course an issue so I will need a light vinyl and was thinking about the 751 series which are only 2 mil. Long term durability is less of an issue as these model airplanes tend to disintegrate frequently so the life span is short due to bad luck and pilot error ;-))

I will need to make occasionally decals or cut certain shapes which I can do by hand or subsequently use a vinyl cutter to make life less frustrating. I would appreciate the following recommendations.

1. Which vinyl cutters are out there to accomplish some basic vinyl cutting where the shapes are either decals/stickers and long in length to decorate for example a wing or fuselage.

2. I would also like to print on the vinyl to make small logo’s or colored text. Can I use a color laserjet or deskjet for this? What kind of materials do you need to get for this?

3. Which vinyl is the most suitable for moderate complex curvatures like airplane fuselages?

4. Any special tools recommendations?

I know I have been asking a lot but would appreciate any input before I dig myself into a hole….

Thanks!

You would be better off using regular monocote for your aircraft. it will be lighter by far. making decals for your aircraft is however another story. feel free. There is printable aqueuos vinyl compatible with normal inkjet's. however it's very expensive for just small pieces. for small decals it would be suitable but if it's a nitro aircraft it would need some sort of overlay or the ink would smear all over.

Hi,

I just started to use Oracal vinyl and would like some recommendation for the following.

My primary use is for model airplanes where I will be covering large closed surfaces such as foam, fiberglass or wood (balsa). Weight is of course an issue so I will need a light vinyl and was thinking about the 751 series which are only 2 mil. Long term durability is less of an issue as these model airplanes tend to disintegrate frequently so the life span is short due to bad luck and pilot error ;-))

I will need to make occasionally decals or cut certain shapes which I can do by hand or subsequently use a vinyl cutter to make life less frustrating. I would appreciate the following recommendations.

1. Which vinyl cutters are out there to accomplish some basic vinyl cutting where the shapes are either decals/stickers and long in length to decorate for example a wing or fuselage.

2. I would also like to print on the vinyl to make small logo’s or colored text. Can I use a color laserjet or deskjet for this? What kind of materials do you need to get for this?

3. Which vinyl is the most suitable for moderate complex curvatures like airplane fuselages?

4. Any special tools recommendations?

I know I have been asking a lot but would appreciate any input before I dig myself into a hole….

Thanks!

Colten,

Using Monokote/Ultracote on foam is not an option as it has to be applied with heat and it has to shrink to get good results. Besides, the availability of so many colors makes Oracal an absolute favorite for my applications.

No nitro or any other chemicals are involved so I have no issues with that. Do you need a specialty inkjet printer or just a specific vinyl sheet to do the printing?

Well depends on what you do. Some epson's with pigment ink can use a cuttable vinyl that is not so special. My canon mx850 would require aqueous vinyl sheets in a matte finish from what I've read. so I guess is depends on what your doing. I'm thinking that monokote does not require such high heat that it melts foam. In fact I think that if you are getting melted foam, you definitely have too high a heat.

Colten,

Using Monokote/Ultracote on foam is not an option as it has to be applied with heat and it has to shrink to get good results. Besides, the availability of so many colors makes Oracal an absolute favorite for my applications.

No nitro or any other chemicals are involved so I have no issues with that. Do you need a specialty inkjet printer or just a specific vinyl sheet to do the printing?