chadarcy

Mutoh falcon outdoor print head

I really messed up and just ruined the two print heads in my printer. As a warning to everyone, never try to flush out a print head with paint thinner. Oh it does clean out the head but also eats away the plastic on the head. So everyone of the damper connections became rubberized and broke.

So now I was wondering can anyone help me out the either has some extra heads around that possibly work or know of a place to pay a less expensive cost than brand new heads. I was in the process of getting this going after sitting a while because of blown head fuses, and am just going to sell. If I can find them cheap enough I will put in, otherwise I may just sell as-is and make the buyer aware of the problem.

Chad

I really messed up and just ruined the two print heads in my printer. As a warning to everyone, never try to flush out a print head with paint thinner. Oh it does clean out the head but also eats away the plastic on the head. So everyone of the damper connections became rubberized and broke.

So now I was wondering can anyone help me out the either has some extra heads around that possibly work or know of a place to pay a less expensive cost than brand new heads. I was in the process of getting this going after sitting a while because of blown head fuses, and am just going to sell. If I can find them cheap enough I will put in, otherwise I may just sell as-is and make the buyer aware of the problem.

Chad

can you buy just the tops like on the dx-4?

here is a link for the heads http://cgi.ebay.com/DX2-ECO-SOLVENT-PRINT-HEAD-ROLAND-MUTOH-MIMAKI-/230593219267?pt=Printer_Accessories&hash=item35b06d4ac3#ht_514wt_1082

mine are 1000 each - can't imagine buying them for 200 LOL

PS they have this thing called solvent that all the ink manufacturers sell blink.gif

• Like 1

can you buy just the tops like on the dx-4?

here is a link for the heads http://cgi.ebay.com/DX2-ECO-SOLVENT-PRINT-HEAD-ROLAND-MUTOH-MIMAKI-/230593219267?pt=Printer_Accessories&hash=item35b06d4ac3#ht_514wt_1082

mine are 1000 each - can't imagine buying them for 200 LOL

PS they have this thing called solvent that all the ink manufacturers sell blink.gif

Yeah, feel stupid after the fact now for even trying the paint thinner! I was actually looking at that auction if I need to buy new. Kicking myself in the butt for throwing away $400 bucks because of a stupid mistake.

Thanks for the help

could be a lot worse - I replaced 1 for 850.00cry.gif

I hear you! That is crazy for just a print head. Guess I really shouldn't be complaining. I have learned though that it is worth taking the time to pull it apart to try and clean a clogged head. There is not really anything hard about it, except to do things with the correct solvents and make sure to unplug the printer.

Chad

I hear you! That is crazy for just a print head. Guess I really shouldn't be complaining. I have learned though that it is worth taking the time to pull it apart to try and clean a clogged head. There is not really anything hard about it, except to do things with the correct solvents and make sure to unplug the printer.

Chad

Then the 2 hr ordeal of aligning the print head after you replace it - what a long day

I know this thread is old but I thought it was worth a chance.... I have a mutoh outdoor jr. the black was working when I got it in just and jusst a month later the black quit working. I think maybe I didnt do a cleaning for about a week. I tried running the cleaning cartriges but still not working. what else might I do to fix this before I spend a small fortune replacing print head.

Thank you

Take some cleaning fluid, soak a lint free rag with it and place it on top of the capping station then gently push the heads over the capping station until they are all the way over. Put something heavy in front of the carriage to hold the heads in place there and let them soak for about an hour. Then run a test print and see if that helped. 

I dont know much about the parts...Do I need to take the black cover off the carriage? what does the capping station look like. Lol. I know this probably sounds like a stupid question, but I was always told that the only stupid question is the one not asked.

No you do not need to take anything off. The capping station is the plastic part with the foam pads that the heads sit on when the printer is not printing. push the print heads to the left towards the center of the printer, take the soaked cloth and put it over the capping station then push the heads back to the capping station so that the cloth is between the heads and the capping station. Splash a little more cleaning fluid on the cloth every 20 min or so just to keep it nice and wet. 

There are no stupid questions. 

I would take pictures or a video if I still had my mutoh to show you. 

Here is the mutoh websites instructions on it. http://www.mutoh.com/kb/entry/137/

these solvent printers do not like to sit and not get cycled - mine cycles 3 times a day if I use it or not - the only way to keep the expensive heads clear.  they can't sit for days unused and even worse unplugged.  just a heads up for anyone thinking of getting a wide format printer.   it is not like your desktop printer - maint. is a constant requirement even when you go on vacation and when you buy one many people afterwards say why do I need a RIP.  I went 3 hrs away before I bought my first one and spent some time with someone that owned and operated one to see what I was getting into.  kind of like a kid you can't ingnore it they require your care to be happy - if not it gets real expensive.  I had to replace the same head 11 months apart for $850.00 each - not sure what happened s it had all the care and attention.  Yey it hurts when you empty that waste ink container and throw away that much money in ink but the alternative is to replace all the heads if you don't let it do it's cleanings  day and night

Thank you for the layman's instructions. So very helpfull, thank you so much. I will try it right now and let you know how it works. ;D

I just got it in July and was not used to the rythem. Like teaching me to drive a clutch, I ruined the first one. LOL. but in the meantime everytime I try to print something in black it comes out looking more like green. I do cycle it at least one every 2 days now and I am using it more often now. I just ordered a new cutter from us cutter this morning. my old one finally just had it but it made me alot of money so it was time to retire it. I guess next will be an upgrade on a printer. I hope this soak works. thank you again

should I remove the little sponges on the capping station before applying the soaked cloth?

curious on the green printing - I have hear of  that using aftermarket inks but not oem - which ink are you using?

I am using Mutoh eco-sol ultra. That is what came with the printer so that is what I continue to use. I will probably do more research on eco friendly inks when I get ready to upgrade to a new printer.

I personally believe in staying oem - first printer had afterrmarkets in it when I bought it and was a lot more trouble.  if you get a new printer try a roland - love mine!

with oem mutoh ink you shouldn't have the color shift if you are using a good RIP.  - Does Mutoh have thier own RIP?

I am using FlexiSign Pro 8. But I had to set it up to use other inks to make close to black. I am assuming that RIP you mean the software that I design with??

Well I followed all of the instructions above and nothing changed. prints everything nice but not a drop of black. Anyone tell me what to do next.

A rip is a Raster image processor software - flexi pro has a RIP built in - does your head test pattern print properly?

I removed my post, I found the answer on an earlier post of thier's.  They are stating  Flexisignpro8, here... but earlier post says Flexisignpro8.6v2.   Just making sure, it was on the correct operating system.. :rolleyes:

you can choose different profiles in the RIP software to help with color correction.   Read, Read Read - it is definately a learning process.  if the print head test shows all colors are printing correctly then I would look a the profiles - when I had the fj-540 that was such a pain - now with versaworks it is a dream