graphicguy

removing old graphics

I have a job coming up that will require me to remove an old graphic. Any tips on the best method and or fluids used to remove the old graphic and left over adhesive would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I buy the aerosol can decal remover Home Depot sells . I have bought different brands , but they all seem to do as well as the others . It has never harmed any painted surface for me .

A heat gun does a good job also .

Yep, a heatgun with a little wd40 works wonders as long as the surface is cleaned of the wd40 once you're done. Just put the heatgun on the surface just until the edge on the decal starts to curl up, then pull that part away slowly and you can usually pull more off then when needed, spray some more 40 and use the heatgun again.Practice makes perfect as having the gun too close will not work as well and of course to far away, but once you get it, you've got it.

I have to remove alot of decals from helments, snowmobile hoods etc before I paint them.

Good Luck! Alan

I used a spray bottle called Vinyl Off, it works great most of the time. If the surface has been painted with spray cans it will lift it. I also had a a tractor trailer once that had been recently painted surface on it and it started to re catalyst the clear coat. I have used it on cars, pickups, other big trucks, ambulances and so on with no problems. I figuared it out now if you just wet a rag and wipe the graphic or lettering itself, it works just as well. The only downfall of using it all the time, it leaves the adhesive on the sub-strait, car, and so on. So be prepared to use plenty of adhesive remover. The same company makes a remover and ghost off agent and they work very well two. They are all bio degradable and have no chemical smell.

I sometimes use plastic chisels which I got at harbor freight with a heat gun ... makes it much easier on the fingers . The stuff I buy at Home Depot etc works great on factory paint jobs without any damage .It is good to know they might harm repaints & freshly painted stuff :thumbsup: . They easily take all the residue off if srayed directly on the decal .

Thanks for the advise. The decals are on both sides of 2 sheriff dept. motorcycle fuel tanks. They are not that big so it shouldn't be that bad but it never hurts to ask for advise from the more experienced on this forum.

Once again thx.

I hope it is not like the municipality decals that were on an International dumptruck i bought . Reflective & very hard to get off . Heatgun , 2 rubber grinder wheels , every spray solution I could find .. I wound up sanding it off .