blownss

MH1351 - Large Graphics Never Cut Correctly

So I have a MH1351 and I am using the SignCut program that came with the cutter. Something I have always had a problem with is cutting large graphics (ie 40" or longer).

Usually what happens is if it is a large shape, the start and end points of the cut won't be connected. This isn't the end of the world usually because I can just finish it up with a knife and make it look fine.

However, I recently made a Chevy logo for a friends garage and it came out really really bad. The ends weren't connected like usual, but when I went to hang it up on the garage, this is how it looked:

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

You can see how uneven the widths of the horizontal parts are. They should be the same size but are almost an inch different in width. The file is fine, I have used the same file for smaller logos and they come out no problems. I measured the widths inside of Corel and they are identical.

What is causing this? I'm tired of wasting vinyl on large items because of stuff like this. I am ready to throw this cutter out the window!!!  :why: :why: :why:

Any help is much appreciated!!!!!!

Did you make sure your carriage is on track? I had mine offtrack when I bought it and had similar problems.

Check that first.

Looks like it may be vinyl drift. Is the tension the same for each pinch roller? Did you feed out enough material for the file you are cutting a few times to check for drift before you cut? Are you making sure the pinch rollers are positioned over the grit part of the feed rollers when loading the material? There are spaces between each feed roller, and if the pinch roller is placed in these sections, it will not track correctly.

I assume they are the same tension, but how do I check for sure to be sure 100%? I am using 24" vinyl, there are 4 pinch rollers and I am using 2 on the first feed roller and 2 on the second feel roller as close to the edge as I can be, but still positioned over the "grit" part. That is the proper setup, correct?

Use the rulers in the plotter (front and back). Make sure each (f and :) are in the same number.

With 24" material, try one pinch roller on each outer edge of the material, and one in the middle. I do not htink you would need all 4. The tension of the pinch rollers should be about the same right out of the box, so unless you adjusted them, I would leave them. Again, run the length of material through the machine for the job you are going to cut with your thumb next to it. If it drifts off of your thumg, adjust the material accordingly until it is a straight as possible. It may take 3 or 4 runs to get it right.

Ok, I think you are right kenimes in that it is vinyl drifting.

I tried unsucessfully to get the vinyl to feed out in the same spot the whole way (about 55"). No matter what I did, it would not always come out straight, the closest I could get was 1/4". Sometimes it would feed out straight and then start to drift. Sometimes it would drift and then when I went back in with it it would drift. It does not seem to be very consistent.

I never messed with the pinch roller settings. They are the same as they were when i bought the plotter. Is this causing the drift? I am getting very frustrated with this thing.

I was able to get my friends logo done, but I had to cut a 50" length of vinyl and put it into the cutter sideways for it to cut it out right. This is not going to work for things larger than 50" though.

If you have not adjusted the tension on the pinch rollers and you get that much drift, it might be time you try adjusting the tension. It may take some trial and error, but I think you tighten just one pinch roller to compensate for the drift.