BearlyRich

Stray cuts i n the first 6 inches of vinyl fix (maybe)

After cutting several times with my new PCUT, I noticed a few stray cuts in the first 6 inches of the vinyl. I could find no cause for it. It didn't happen after the first 6 inches and didn't happen with the pen using paper. Took me a bit and some careful watching to discover the problem.

If you start the vinyl cutting with less than 5 or 6 inches hanging in front, it will catch on a ledge at the bottom of the fluted aluminum as it rolls down during cutting. Once caught, it bunches up and buckles, raising the vinyl up high enough to hit the raised blade as the head moves across causing the stray cuts.

My simple 'fix'? I used duck tape. Applied a strip of 2 inch standard old duck tape across the bottom of the fluted aluminum and over that ledge. Make sure the top edge of the tape is in the middle of a concave flute of the aluminum or the tape edge will also catch the vinyl. After laying down my strip of tape, I have yet to have a stray cut again.

Oh, and if you're like me and don't remove anything from new equipment, such as stickers and decals, that caution label on the front right side of the fluted aluminum will also catch the vinyl. Either make sure it's pressed down completely or just remove it...

Oh yeah baby!!! DUCT TAPE RULEZ!!! heheeh

It fixes everything, and btw thats exactly what i did to fix my problem weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :thumbsup:

My next project may be a "Possum Lodge" sign! :P

ewwww, Send me the .eps when you do it hahahaahaha :blink:

After cutting several times with my new PCUT, I noticed a few stray cuts in the first 6 inches of the vinyl. I could find no cause for it. It didn't happen after the first 6 inches and didn't happen with the pen using paper. Took me a bit and some careful watching to discover the problem.

If you start the vinyl cutting with less than 5 or 6 inches hanging in front, it will catch on a ledge at the bottom of the fluted aluminum as it rolls down during cutting. Once caught, it bunches up and buckles, raising the vinyl up high enough to hit the raised blade as the head moves across causing the stray cuts.

My simple 'fix'? I used duck tape. Applied a strip of 2 inch standard old duck tape across the bottom of the fluted aluminum and over that ledge. Make sure the top edge of the tape is in the middle of a concave flute of the aluminum or the tape edge will also catch the vinyl. After laying down my strip of tape, I have yet to have a stray cut again.

Oh, and if you're like me and don't remove anything from new equipment, such as stickers and decals, that caution label on the front right side of the fluted aluminum will also catch the vinyl. Either make sure it's pressed down completely or just remove it...

Had the same issue with my LP. Covered that gap with some scrap 651 and it works like a champ now.

Bear , Bear .. Bear :D ,

OR you can do what I do & just fold the front edge of the vinyl up . That way it is not trying to retain the natural curve it got from being rolled up . After it measures & before each new cut .. I try to recurve at least 1/4" up . if not my Copam does the same thing sometimes . Good advice though & I have read where others have used " micacle " tape for that also .

I tried folding up the front edge of the vinyl when I discovered the problem. Didn't want to work for me, or I just did it wrong...

Ash; I searched for that logo for hours... No luck. Now I'm part way through making one. Hopefully in a couple of days.

My next project may be a "Possum Lodge" sign! :P

If women don't find you handsome,at least they should find you handy.

post-242-0-12620400-1302324885_thumb.png

Oh yeah baby!!! DUCT TAPE RULEZ!!! heheeh

It fixes everything, and btw thats exactly what i did to fix my problem weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :thumbsup:

And you bought a keyspan adapter for the duct tape too...LOL :lol::lol::lol:

heheeh, I tried to get it hooked up to the key span Stetson, it kept sticking inside the serial port plug and stuck my finger to it.

I was afraid other members would get stuck so I ran away real fast!

I had to retreat on this idea! Maybe to much adherent? heheheehheehe :blink:

If women don't find you handsome,at least they should find you handy.

DAG!!!!!!! That's how I got the misses BJ, I fixed her tire that blew out on her car.......

I ALWAYS WONDERED HOW I GOT THIS HOT CHICK TO TALK TO ME!!!! heheheeheheheh :blink:

You got off easy. I had to make dinner, bake bread AND do the dishes :P

Now, the bigger question we're missing is; can we cut duct tape on the vinyl cutter???

You got off easy. I had to make dinner, bake bread AND do the dishes :P

Now, the bigger question we're missing is; can we cut duct tape on the vinyl cutter???

yes you can, but don't ask me how I know....

yes you can, but don't ask me how I know....

hahhahahahaha that's a good one boost weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: hahaahahahahahaahahahah GOOD ONE BEARLY, I wasn't expecting that one heheheheeh

I knew this had to be feasible but didn't know if it would actually cut it or not....... man, thats great to know.

Now when I tape something up like one of my dewalt power tools, I can cut dewalt on the tape!!!! haahahahahaahah :thumbsup:

• Like 1

It does cut, but not very good through the threads. A sharp xacto helps there...

Now, where's the "duct tape" pattern vinyl??? I would sure buy a roll of that!

ahahahaha duct tape pattern. Thats a good 1 right there weeeeeeeeeeeee

Bear , Bear .. Bear :D ,

OR you can do what I do & just fold the front edge of the vinyl up . That way it is not trying to retain the natural curve it got from being rolled up . After it measures & before each new cut .. I try to recurve at least 1/4" up . if not my Copam does the same thing sometimes . Good advice though & I have read where others have used " micacle " tape for that also .

+1 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ewwww, Send me the .eps when you do it hahahaahaha :blink:

I finally have a "finished" Possum Lodge logo. Haven't tried cutting it yet and it needs(?) 4 colors. If you want it, I'll send it to you. Not sure if I can post it??