GailNasiatka

Double Cutting - Need help

I have been trying to understand and figure out why all of my graphics that I open up in AI double cut when I send to Sign-cut. Also, it has started to cut through the actual decal that doesn't need cutting.

I am attaching the AI file that is double cutting and I am in desperate need to fix it so it doesn't double cut. It takes too much time out of my schedule to have these double cut.

Also please see attached the signcut file that shows either all the cuts or movements of the cutting.

Can anyone please help me fix the AI file?

and

give me detailed directions on how I can do this to all of the graphics I cut.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

YOU HAVE NO IDEA

TLP.ai

post-17330-0-61847200-1302275019_thumb.j

I can't explain why, but your graphic is doubled, one on top of the other. Look at it in wireframe mode. Break the curve apart if you have to and then select the individual parts. Move them away one at a time and you'll see a copy underneath it.

Over here, your file is actually a PDF and not what I would consider an AI file. Although an odd format? I managed to finally convert it to eps using gsview and ghostscript as nothing else I have would import it. But it's definitely doubled...

it was a tracing. you need to expand it, then ungroup it and delete everything that is not black. I did that and it cut just fine in Signcut.

grrrrr. as soon as i can figure out how to attach a file I will put a corrected version of your art back on here in ai and eps. fyi, i save all of my ai files in cs5 format - then save them again in EPS Illustrator "8" format for cutting.

I've had some weird issues in saving as a newer version than 8.

i didn't weed the small text, but you can see here that the new eps works just right. if you need further assistance with fixing other graphics, post one and I will do a quick tutorial for you. but try what I mentioned earlier first and see if that works for you.

post-8651-0-67084800-1302278150_thumb.jp

Show and GO: You have no idea how much I appreciate this. I am so very HAPPY. Thank you sooooooooo much.

Is there anyway you can do a quick tutorial for me as I would be able to get my graphics and cutting done. I am a visual type person.

I have to be shown how to do something. I will try the above when I get my machine going to cut these and see if I can do what you annotated above

to fix my other graphics.

Again, I am elated.

Gail

No problem!

I'll try to do a quick txt tutorial here and if you continue to have issues I'll just have you call me and we can walk through it over the phone or something quick like that.

My assumption is that you are performing a live trace on a pre-existing image, such as photo? When you are done with your tracing and are happy with the results -

Go to Object / Live Trace / Expand

Then select the image, right click on it and click "ungroup"

Then, hit ctrl-A to select all. You will see a lot of hidden and un-need paths. In the sprocket image above, all you want to keep is the black stuff. So I go over the entire image deleting everything that isn't black.

click off the image to unselect everything

Start deleting the stuff you don't need

When you have it all cleaned up, save it as an Illustrator CS "8" EPS file and open that in Signcut.

Click the black icon on the right, this will show you everything it is going to cut. Give that a shot and see if you get the hang of it.

Good luck.

No problem!

I'll try to do a quick txt tutorial here and if you continue to have issues I'll just have you call me and we can walk through it over the phone or something quick like that.

My assumption is that you are performing a live trace on a pre-existing image, such as photo? When you are done with your tracing and are happy with the results -

Then, hit ctrl-A to select all. You will see a lot of hidden and un-need paths. In the sprocket image above, all you want to keep is the black stuff. So I go over the entire image deleting everything that isn't black.

When you have it all cleaned up, save it as an Illustrator CS "8" EPS file and open that in Signcut.

Click the black icon on the right, this will show you everything it is going to cut. Give that a shot and see if you get the hang of it.

Good luck.

I get the image from my graphics person that helps me either in ai or jpg... I open it in AI, I perform a live trace and I figured I was happy until everything was double cutting. Unfortunately this is what I learned from my "ex" to be and he thought he knew everything.

So with that said, let me try all this on another one of my images.

Again, I am so greatful for your help and may have to take you up on the offer to call you. I will let you know.

Gail

No problem!

Good luck.

I tried this and I don't know what hidden or un-needed paths are.

I guess I am just not very literate when it comes to this.