BearlyRich

2832 Economy Promotional Phosphorescent Vinyl???

I just got my order of 2832 Economy Promotional Phosphorescent Vinyl. EXPENSIVE stuff so I only bought 5 feet. First impression was good. Color okay and phosphorescence seemed great. I wanted to make a silhouetted wolf for my daughter's room wall. She's been asking almost every day ever since I made the elephant for her...

Well, it all went downhill from there. As soon as I took the tape off the roll, the vinyl started to tunnel and bubble and peel off the backing. I lifted the first two feet and laid it back down but bringing it over to the cutter simply produced more tunnels.

Cutting it was a nightmare. I have a very new 36" PCUT. I first tried with the 45 degree blade and a pressure of 135. After several attempts, the blade was out more than usual and the pressure was all the way up to 250 (as high as it will go). Still not cutting through.

I switched over brand new Roland 60 degree blade. Seems like I just couldn't get it right. At a pressure of 250, it would cut though the backing, maybe 50% of the cut. I think I finally settled on a pressure around 190 to 200 when I decided to go ahead and try the graphic. I did get it to cut through the vinyl (but not the backing) for a good 90% of the lines and was content. But this seems just too tuff and I thought my cutter went to a higher pressure?

After weeding, I thought it would be easier to lay the black background onto the graphic because this stuff is very stiff. I thought it all went well until I peeled off the tape. Not good at all with quite a few tunnels. There's no peeling this stuff off either... Okay, maybe I should have tried wet, but was afraid this vinyl wouldn't do wet (don't know why) and I thought that being so stiff that it would just lay there and let me roll the black onto it.

So, yes I do need a lot more experience. I've only made a dozen or so graphics now and am learning more with every one. But this vinyl just seems like it's not made for a cutter and is horrible to work with. I really wanted that glowing moon behind the wolf... Ah-well... At the cost of this stuff, I don't think I'll be trying much more with it plus I can't put up with the tunneling on it's own backing...

Has anyone worked successfully with this stuff? Did I just do it all wrong? If there is a right way, I have enough to do one more wall graphic for her. If this is how it works, then she'll have to be happy with a wrinkled moon...

Thanks for any suggestions...

I just checked again. This is FDC 10mil vinyl and they state that it can't be wet mounted. That's why I didn't try it. I thought I had looked that up...

• Like 1

I know this was really old but i was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Im looking for a legit supplier of bright photoluminescent vinyl and im not about to buy from Alibaba.

If you're looking for the glow-in-the-dark stuff that I bought, just do a search for:

"2832 Economy Promotional Phosphorescent Vinyl" and you'll quickly find the place I bought it from, for $10.50 a foot...