stickerman

how to apply vinyl to a trailer with screws/rivets

Use cast vinyl....

to answer your actual question:

pay attention to how he deals with the rivets. You can buy a rivet brush if you have a lot of rivets...

http://www.uscutter.com/GAP-Rivet-Brush-15-Diameter_p_617.html

hope this helps.

oh...the same procedures work with cast or calendared vinyl.

• Like 2

Use cast vinyl....

You can use calendered vinyl as well. Cast conforms easier sometimes, but I've used both over rivets, corners, curves and so on equally either way. After a few hundred hours of installation, i don't even need a razor anymore. I can do rivets with heat gun only now.

Yes and you can cut vinyl with an exacto knife! Calendar vinyl is not the best choice for that kind of application.....It may work but that does not make it the best choice.....

Yes and you can cut vinyl with an exacto knife!

is there a point to that statement?

• Like 2

Yes and you can cut vinyl with an exacto knife! Calendar vinyl is not the best choice for that kind of application.....It may work but that does not make it the best choice.....

In all fairness , you have tangented off the actual subject again :huh: You are the only 1 that said anything about what vinyl is the best choice . The Op did not say if they were using calendared or cast vinyl... JUST " what is the best way to apply vinyl to a trailer that has rivets ..... " .. in fact , just rereading the post... it says " that's all " after that question .

John did say the correct answer & added " oh...the same procedures work with cast or calendared vinyl."

I like to argue & debate as you do , but I try to do it humorously .. it goes over much better IMO . ;)

• Like 1

Thanks I think I got it, will be doing my new trailer next weekend with calendared vinyl. now if I screw it up, what is the easiest way to get the vinyl off to try again?

Thanks

A heat gun like in the video John posted & a plastic chisel like they sell at Harbor Frieght .

Humorous disclaimer : previous statement is a general statement that may or may not have exceptions ... previous statement is just a quick answer to the actual question & not a 30 page document listing all known possibilities . It does not presume to be the best possible way to obtain the desired result , just the way most regular people would do it without spending more than what is realistic . A true statement could be " Buy a new trailer & try again " ... that may or may not be true , but not what I advise ... oh & I do think I am funny ( looking according to FouASH ;) .. saved him the trouble of responding ;) )

Rodger says Thanks Rodger , I enjoyed that chuckle :)

• Like 1

Well excuse me for trying to help someone from doing something I think is wrong....But if you want me to shut up I will....After all it is not my job......

Don't get your panties wedged up :) . I don't want you to shut up at all , but I do think you go about many things abrasively . Sarcastic replies/comparisons doesn't promote camaraderie .

• Like 1

Well excuse me for trying to help someone from doing something I think is wrong....But if you want me to shut up I will....After all it is not my job......

I sometimes wonder if you even read a post before you reply to it.

• Like 2

Thanks I think I got it, will be doing my new trailer next weekend with calendared vinyl. now if I screw it up, what is the easiest way to get the vinyl off to try again?

Thanks

Calendered tends to be a bit stronger than cast, it generally will pull up in one piece or large pieces without the use of scrapping it off. Cast will come off easy just after application. I use calendered on all the racecars I do and it works fine for going around rivets from small to large, dzus buttons, corners and bends. I have never had a problem. The only cast I use frequently is florescent cast. The only vinyl that runs into problem in certain situations is metalized. But I have learned to use a flexible squeegee and a Teflon sleeve and go around a rivet cold with no heat and that works best. Metalized vinyl is very unforgiving and for that reason I tend to stay away from rivets, corners and excessive bends with it.

Cast works as well, but better I am not so sure.

• Like 1

I hope you can.

I'm still trying to figure it out what is your job.

• Like 2

I do a lot of trailers and box trucks with rivets or screws.

Sometimes I just remove screws and place them back after install is done.

Using calendared vinyl over the rivets is doable (not recommended) with enough heat and pocking one hole on the base of the each and every rivet in order to let the air out.

I've tried a lots of different methods to form vinyl (cast or calendared) around the rivets, and the best way to do it is sharpie cap and heat gun.

Yes sharpie cap, it's same size as a rivet fits perfectly over it.

So. pock the hole on the bottom of the rivet heat the area with heat gun , place sharpie cap over the rivet twist it a little bit and hold for few seconds.

Works perfect specialy with calendared vinyl.

BTW make sure area around rivets is clean.

Hope all this make sense.

Good luck

• Like 1

I apreciate ALL the advise.... I think i have the idea now. I pickup my new trailer Friday and plan to spend all next weekend putting my logos on. I do like the sharpie idea, one question though when you poke the hole is it in the center of the rivet?

Thanks all

Don't mind the " side show " :D ... there is much history & interactive " humor " with the members who read most/all of the threads & have been here awhile . 1rst round of virtual beer/ice tea is on me ;)

• Like 1

I like the Sharpie idea too! Never thought of it. I have seen that Rollee thing too and I do know someone that loves it.I still haven't tried a trailer yet so I'm just listening! Be sure to post your trailer when you are finished! Love to see it!

• Like 1

Have read a tennis ball works good also .

• Like 1

I apreciate ALL the advise.... I think i have the idea now. I pickup my new trailer Friday and plan to spend all next weekend putting my logos on. I do like the sharpie idea, one question though when you poke the hole is it in the center of the rivet?

Thanks all

The other thing is make sure you have all you dot info, and requirements. Once you put a logo on it, it is considered commercial and in the act of doing business and you may be required to even have a hazmat, cdl and be subject to any and all rules\laws. A lot of racers here in NY are being required to have a DOT number at the very least. Even though they never make a dime and cannot claim any expenses or credits.

The other thing is make sure you have all you dot info, and requirements. Once you put a logo on it, it is considered commercial and in the act of doing business and you may be required to even have a hazmat, cdl and be subject to any and all rules\laws. A lot of racers here in NY are being required to have a DOT number at the very least. Even though they never make a dime and cannot claim any expenses or credits.

the DOT thing is a weight determination . federal law so applies in every state . i think over 10,000 lbs & over 3 axles is the determination but not really enforced much unles doing commercil type activity. Like hauling a bobcat with a 3/4 ton truck with a 2 axle trailer

complete unit always weighs more than 10K , so DOT requirements ( including a physical ) is required . exceptions are campers , livestock , motor homes etc . If you put ypour DOT # on anything . it then becomes that & ANY ticket will show up on your DOT record .

So if a single axle trailer , dot # not required unless pulled by a tandem truck . I don't think the dot # has to be on the trailer anyway , just what is pulling it . Like Racingboy says , best to make sure . Asking a cop will give you as many different answers as the # of cops you ask as a generality ( just like asking a lawyer about something :) ).

• Like 1

the DOT thing is a weight determination . federal law so applies in every state . i think over 10,000 lbs & over 3 axles is the determination but not really enforced much unles doing commercil type activity. Like hauling a bobcat with a 3/4 ton truck with a 2 axle trailer

complete unit always weighs more than 10K , so DOT requirements ( including a physical ) is required . exceptions are campers , livestock , motor homes etc . If you put ypour DOT # on anything . it then becomes that & ANY ticket will show up on your DOT record .

So if a single axle trailer , dot # not required unless pulled by a tandem truck . I don't think the dot # has to be on the trailer anyway , just what is pulling it . Like Racingboy says , best to make sure . Asking a cop will give you as many different answers as the # of cops you ask as a generality ( just like asking a lawyer about something :) ).

yes, but. I seen personally and talk to dot officers on a fairly regular basis. If you are in the act of commerce, while driving a vehicle like a van, truck, utility or any vehicle with company logos in the act of day to day business than you are subject to dot laws and regulations for safety and vehicle standards. Such as carrying more than 5 gallons of gas on your racecar trailer you may be required to have both hazmat and placecard on the trailer. The ny dot is not one to let things go, especially if you run in top one having a bad day. I have seen them outside the gates of our local fairs and races and issue tickets to farmers pulling there farm tractors in the tractor pulls. The received pay for pulling therefor were applied to the dot laws and regulations of having dot numbers on there haulers, and overload, over width and other specialty permits.

A friend of mine was pulled over this summer while hauling a utility trailer with his lawn care business and did not have a dot number and was told that he must have it on the vehicle and meet safety requirements for his class vehicles.

the weight sometimes has some to do with it, but being a CDL holder, and driving commercially for 15 yrs now. I can tell you if your car has commercial plates and your hooked to a trailer that has a logo on it, make sure you get a dot number.

The only time this does not apply is when hauling a recreational vehicle. Some states allow the "not for hire", but in NY. It is not so easy.