BannerJohn

Just when I thought Ebay couldn't get any worse

If all I did was stick something in an envelope or box, it wouldn't bother me much either. But I have to MAKE what I sell..so my margins are small..especially since I have to compete with the Chinese now who are selling full color printed banners cheaper than I can make a vinyl one..and apparently there shipping over there is WAY cheaper than here. they are advertising shipping to the US that is half what it cost me to ship the same banner to CANADA.

If all I did was stick something in an envelope or box, it wouldn't bother me much either. But I have to MAKE what I sell..so my margins are small..especially since I have to compete with the Chinese now who are selling full color printed banners cheaper than I can make a vinyl one..and apparently there shipping over there is WAY cheaper than here. they are advertising shipping to the US that is half what it cost me to ship the same banner to CANADA.

dry.gif

There is a freight consolidator in China that ships in bulk to several locations in the US and then puts parcels in the USPS system...Because they are a large volume user of USPS service they get a great deal.....

And other China shippers use UPS Basic service....They considate shipments to the West Coast and then give them to UPS....UPS takes them to the biggest post office near the final destination and then gives the packages to USPS for final delivery.....Again you have to be a large shipper and you get super low rates...

As an example of the Stateside portion of the rates take a look at Tiger Direct....If you put a small item (under 6 lbs i think) in to your shopping cart you can see how cheap the shipping is...I got a hard drive case (19.95) recently and the shipping charge was U$2.26 to my US address....Box was the size of a large shoe box....

If you Google UPS Basic you can learn more about the service....Subsidized by small USPS senders and taxpayers for the benefit of large shippers.....

Here's an example...I just shipped a small decal that I sell for $3 plus $2 shipping. $5.00 total

out of that...ebay gets 0.20 listing fee..0.36 FVF...Paypal charge...0.45. Total out: $1.01. Actual shipping cost: $1.92

That leave me $2.07 for the vinyl and my time. When ebay takes the FVF out of shipping, that's another 0.24 cents. There goes most of my profit.

And there are a LOT of people on ebay (and on this forum) who sell small stickers and decals in the same price range. IT all adds up.

If I added the monthly cost of my ebay store to that...divide by the number of items I list... take another $0.50 cents off.Luckily, most of my items are much more than that.

I guess ebay just expects us to like being screwed because it's not TOO bad and after all, we CAN go elsewhere.

pot.gif

They suck

Roxy, are you a corp. lawyer. I'm lost at what you do....

1. You refer everyone to corp businesses, instead of the little people on the forum

2. You take up for corp. Businesses

3. I could go on and on

There is a freight consolidator in China that ships in bulk to several locations in the US and then puts parcels in the USPS system...Because they are a large volume user of USPS service they get a great deal.....

And other China shippers use UPS Basic service....They considate shipments to the West Coast and then give them to UPS....UPS takes them to the biggest post office near the final destination and then gives the packages to USPS for final delivery.....Again you have to be a large shipper and you get super low rates...

As an example of the Stateside portion of the rates take a look at Tiger Direct....If you put a small item (under 6 lbs i think) in to your shopping cart you can see how cheap the shipping is...I got a hard drive case (19.95) recently and the shipping charge was U$2.26 to my US address....Box was the size of a large shoe box....

If you Google UPS Basic you can learn more about the service....Subsidized by small USPS senders and taxpayers for the benefit of large shippers.....

a flawless explanation of why small US sellers can't compete with the big guys and the Chinese...and why the new ebay policy will hurt us so much.

Well Ash I am tired of explaining why I do what I do......I just think it does not make any sense to send work to a company tries to burn the candle at both ends.....To me that is unethical but then you and I appear to have a difference set of ethics to live by...So I guess we will have to disagree.....

We don't have different ethics Roxy, you ask if you could steal my work. Trust me, I don't mind at all. I ask for your e-mail addess so I can send you my .eps file of my company logo.

P.S. Still don't know if your a corp. Lawyer though

Nope not a lawyer.....Mostly sell promotional products but signs, decals and heat press shirts are a growing part of my business.....

Nope not a lawyer.....Mostly sell promotional products but signs, decals and heat press shirts are a growing part of my business.....

Let me guess, you sell to corp. companies?

Well Ash I am tired of explaining why I do what I do......I just think it does not make any sense to send work to a company tries to burn the candle at both ends.....To me that is unethical but then you and I appear to have a difference set of ethics to live by...So I guess we will have to disagree.....

Why do you do that :huh::D

Seems ash isn't the only one you disagree with a lot of the time LOL

Seems ash isn't the only one you disagree with a lot of the time LOL

I'm not even saying a word heheeheheh :blink:

I disagree with lots of folks......I have no problem saying I have a much different approach to things than most folks here...What fun would be it be if I only said the things you wanted to hear....

I disagree with lots of folks......I have no problem saying I have a much different approach to things than most folks here...What fund would be it be if I only said the things you wanted to hear....

wow -now that has been said about me also , , ,LOL

Here's an example...I just shipped a small decal that I sell for $3 plus $2 shipping. $5.00 total

out of that...ebay gets 0.20 listing fee..0.36 FVF...Paypal charge...0.45. Total out: $1.01. Actual shipping cost: $1.92

That leave me $2.07 for the vinyl and my time. When ebay takes the FVF out of shipping, that's another 0.24 cents. There goes most of my profit.

And there are a LOT of people on ebay (and on this forum) who sell small stickers and decals in the same price range. IT all adds up.

If I added the monthly cost of my ebay store to that...divide by the number of items I list... take another $0.50 cents off.Luckily, most of my items are much more than that.

I guess ebay just expects us to like being screwed because it's not TOO bad and after all, we CAN go elsewhere.

Again, I agree 100%. Shipping costs are already unfair to lower-volume American sellers, and yes, eBay takes a portion of something you can't profit on if you're reasonable and fair with shipping. EBay is actually making the problem worse trying to profit off of shipping. It's crazy.

I'm not happy about this change either. Shipping should be left alone. eBay already gets a cut of our Final Value without the new shipping profit they're implementing.

I agree 100 % on the unfair to charge a % on fair realistic shipping charges. It would be better if there was a way to implement a charge on the sellers that over charge shipping.. BUT that would be hard since the handling charge is in there & people should be able to charge what they want as far as handling :huh: The over charging for shipping to avoid fees is so clear , I think that is e-bay's motive . A fair way , but very hard to enforce & would require e-bay to do more work , would be to charge a high percetange over actual shipping costs . Maybe on complaints they could investitgate & adjust so people would stop causing this problem . It is much easier to do what they did & go on . Most likely they will come to a point where they will suffer from their own actions .

It is good to have diffeent opinions & disagree . It is how we disagree that causes friction or gains better perspectives ... I have known some to seem to constantly disagree with certain others just to provoke . Even some of that can be done in fun , but when it is done otherwise . it gets nasty fast . General thought not meant to any specific member ( s ) I wonder many times why things are said & in that manner .... & why some refuse to let certain things go ... OCD is not that rare I guess :D

Why does it cost 2.00 to ship a 3.00 decal?.....Is it bigger or heavier than you can mail for 1 stamp?....

Seems just a way to get around reserve fees etc . If you add insurance etc , it does add up fast . but an envelop & stamp doesn't add up to that . When buying small items like car cell phone chargers etc , I always prefer the included shipping ... maybe e-bay is trying to manipulate sellers into doing that , especially on small stuff :huh:

Why does it cost 2.00 to ship a 3.00 decal?.....Is it bigger or heavier than you can mail for 1 stamp?....

I use a padded envelope, with a piece of coroplast to stiffen it up. I also get Delivery Confirmation..I ship NOTHING without delivery confirmation. Weight is just over 3 ounces. Since you have to round up to the nearest ounce...that's 4 ounces... Print my postage online, for which I get a discount. WITH the discount... $1.92.

Yeah I could stick FOUR stamps on it... $1.76 and no delivery confirmation.

Make sense now?

Honestly, Roxanne..you have posted opinions about ebay on which you do not sell...you question shipping policy in the US when you live in Canada....do you have some compulsion that makes you confrontational?

I forgot to mention that I pay .18 cents for the envelopes, buying in a case of 100

and Rodger..I never up the postage to try and avoid fees...in fact more often than not, the shipping fee is MORE than I charge, I just eat it.

• Like 1

I also do the same thing, nothing goes out without Delivery confirmation, it is considered "PACKAGE/PARCEL" rate First Class shipping, on up, not letter rate, No such thing in Paypal shipping as letter rate. It is all Packages. And with all rules that that EBAY has given the sellers/buyers, to protect yourself, YOU have to have online viewable tracking information on a shipment, otherwise the buyer now can file never received, and have their money back, plus the item. Because as a seller, you cannot prove they never got it.

I also do the same thing, nothing goes out without Delivery confirmation, it is considered "PACKAGE/PARCEL" rate First Class shipping, on up, not letter rate, No such thing in Paypal shipping as letter rate. It is all Packages. And with all rules that that EBAY has given the sellers/buyers, to protect yourself, YOU have to have online viewable tracking information on a shipment, otherwise the buyer now can file never received, and have their money back, plus the item. Because as a seller, you cannot prove they ever got it.

not to mention that if you have a certain percentage of low DSRs ebay can and will stop you from posting new items, and even suspend you at their whim.

and Rodger..I never up the postage to try and avoid fees...in fact more often than not, the shipping fee is MORE than I charge, I just eat it.

Forgive me if you thought I was including you in my statement . NOT at all . I was meaning the auctions that the shipping is as much or more than what both the item & shipping is worth . I recently changed brands of cell phone , so I need more car chargers ( I try to keep 1 in every truck ). Many chargers listed for $3.50 shipped . Same cheap chargers are listed in other's auctions for 99 cents with $5 shipping . Those auctions are what causes problems IMO .

Forgive me if you thought I was including you in my statement . NOT at all . I was meaning the auctions that the shipping is as much or more than what both the item & shipping is worth . I recently changed brands of cell phone , so I need more car chargers ( I try to keep 1 in every truck ). Many chargers listed for $3.50 shipped . Same cheap chargers are listed in other's auctions for 99 cents with $5 shipping . Those auctions are what causes problems IMO .

I know what you are saying Rodger...ebay is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. WE all get stiffed because they can't (or won't) control; the ones who are doing that crap. There is a better way..as I have posted.

that is fun .. I have not heard that saying in a long time :thumbsup: it fits this situation great !