BannerJohn

Just when I thought Ebay couldn't get any worse

ebay has a policy against this...but I guess it was just too much trouble to enforce.So the honest sellers like me pay the price.

Same here John. It's a very ham-handed way to deal with sellers and shipping fees (to eBay's convenient benefit, of course).

Here's the thing, sometimes I deserve to make a buck or two on shipping since I do have to pay for boxes and drive to the USPS or UPS. But, those making 1000 bucks on shipping could be reported as you mentioned, or buyers can notice these shenanigans and block these sellers. There's a lot that can be done.

There's nothing wrong with making a little on shipping, but really I am just trying to get it right so I don't lose money on shipping...especially when I was learning international rates (compared to flat-rate).

The other thing eBay could have done is only charge shipping fees *if* you're over a maximum allowable shipping, or something using some reasonable metric. As mentioned in this thread, this change will only cause me to increase my shipping fees and pass the costs along to the customer. I don't sell on eBay for charity, dammit.

If there's eBay competition, these sorts of practices will drive people to them.

They should lower fees slightly so that the regular joe selling on ebay isn't affected but that they will get the money from the people who skirt the fees but selling cheap and charging for the item in the shiping.

Same here John. It's a very ham-handed way to deal with sellers and shipping fees (to eBay's convenient benefit, of course).

Here's the thing, sometimes I deserve to make a buck or two on shipping since I do have to pay for boxes and drive to the USPS or UPS. But, those making 1000 bucks on shipping could be reported as you mentioned, or buyers can notice these shenanigans and block these sellers. There's a lot that can be done.

There's nothing wrong with making a little on shipping, but really I am just trying to get it right so I don't lose money on shipping...especially when I was learning international rates (compared to flat-rate).

The other thing eBay could have done is only charge shipping fees *if* you're over a maximum allowable shipping, or something using some reasonable metric. As mentioned in this thread, this change will only cause me to increase my shipping fees and pass the costs along to the customer. I don't sell on eBay for charity, dammit.

If there's eBay competition, these sorts of practices will drive people to them.

there is a simple soultion to the problem without ebay screwing people on fees:

require everyone to use an embedded shipping calculator(which ebay already provides). You simply put your zip code,and the weight,etc in and can add a handling charge.(ebay could set a limit on this). Buyer puts in his zip code...and gets a quote.

BUT ebay wouldn't add to their profits,would they?

I do not think it has anything to do with greed....I think it is to bring sellers of cheap stuff with high shipping charges back in line...

What they said....^

The sellers that sell things for .99 cents and $14 shipping are the ones to blame

MM64 B)

They should lower fees slightly so that the regular joe selling on ebay isn't affected but that they will get the money from the people who skirt the fees but selling cheap and charging for the item in the shiping.

that would be ideal. implementing it so that it would work as intended, and not serve as another loophole for the ppl that are tying to cheat is the problem.

bingo!

imo, just adjust your shipping rates higher to accommodate. if your charging $1 to ship, go to $1.25 not much of a change afa the end customer, and youll actually make more.

I'd love to know how to do this. A lot of my sales are large and heavy and go overseas. Actual shipping costs of $50-60 are not uncommon. So my choice now is to either quit shipping overseas (where the buyers are)or raise the shipping cost $5-6. This only punishes the buyers in the U.S.

BTW - eBay has also stated if you do issue a refund for shipping that was too high, they will not be refunding any of the fees they charge.

there is a simple soultion to the problem without ebay screwing people on fees:

require everyone to use an embedded shipping calculator(which ebay already provides). You simply put your zip code,and the weight,etc in and can add a handling charge.(ebay could set a limit on this). Buyer puts in his zip code...and gets a quote.

BUT ebay wouldn't add to their profits,would they?

That is a good idea. Fixed shipping based on *actual calculated shipping costs*. Too bad eBay has to try and make money off shipping as a way to prevent people from making money off shipping.

That is a good idea. Fixed shipping based on *actual calculated shipping costs*. Too bad eBay has to try and make money off shipping as a way to prevent people from making money off shipping.

In spite of what a few have said...ebay never did ANYTHING that wasn't designed to benefit ebay and increase their profits.

I think most of us make decisions to increase our profits....

yeah..but not designed to piss off and drive away our customer base.

Well sometimes......

Ebay can not make everyone happy so they made a decision that is good for most buyers and has a marginal affect on most sellers....Sorry to say there will be a few that fall through the cracks.....So best outline your case to Ebay and see if they can come up with a commission schedule that fits your business...

Ok, I've read enough. Time for me to post. Ebay stinks and so does Payrip.

BJ, you need to go to another auction house and sell. Ebay is for big businesses and could care less about you and your fee's.

They will just laugh about it, trust me. You wouldn't believe the people I see day in and day out getting ripped by this bunch of looser's.

If you need to get setup to take payments and a reference to another great auction house. PM or email me.

Like I said, these people are for the big corps, I've seen people making a good living doing this and then all of a sudden they shut them down.

You better run man, I'm telling you. There are auction houses all over the internet alot better than these people. Your rant is useless, trust me. THEY SUCK! dry.gif:(

Look at just this one, use multiple auction houses and watch their fee's.

Yes, you have to get verified, which is a pain, BUT, you don't have to compete with fraudulent sellers who are cut throating to beat your prices.

Hope this helps.

http://www.ubid.com/

http://www.ubid.com/...online/faq.aspx

ash, i couldnt agree more, they suck.

thing is, they have the traffic. there are a lot of other wanna-bee's out there, but until they start pulling HALF of the traffic ebay does, they are essentially useless in reaching the masses.

Yeah, they do have popularity, the thing is, they misuse and abuse it. You have to ask yourself the question though, do you want to be treated like that? I myself do not allow someone to control me. I'm VERY freedom oriented, and will not and refuse to give in to communism as I call it. Listen, if they control you, sorry your their property. I'm no one's property, well except the wife eheheheh

Anyhow, this is my point of view, yours may differ. It's just like seat belt laws. England did it, now U.S. did it. If you keep up with England like I do, you will see that everything they do the U.S. does. Any connection to U.S. and England....... that's a question you have to ask yourself and rule accordingly. Do I think it's my right "if" I wear my seatbelt in "my" car. You betcha! It's called freedom, how much longer will we allow them to take it away... I haven't the slightest.

Anyhow I'm getting off subject.

Hope this helps

ash, i couldnt agree more, they suck.

thing is, they have the traffic. there are a lot of other wanna-bee's out there, but until they start pulling HALF of the traffic ebay does, they are essentially useless in reaching the masses.

very true. I have been selling on Ebay since 2006, and it has supported me very nicely, I do have an Ebay store,and am a Powerseller. Just over two years ago, I opened thru other venues, more stores, including ubid.com. and have only sold a couple items in over 2 years. Same items, and even lower prices. Nothing. and using my Ebay feedback, which can be imported on some venues. And I login to those sites, so it shows I am active. Nothing. That is my experience.

very true. I have been selling on Ebay since 2006, and it has supported me very nicely, I do have an Ebay store,and am a Powerseller. Just over two years ago, I opened thru other venues, more stores, including ubid.com. and have only sold a couple items in over 2 years. Same items, and even lower prices. Nothing. and using my Ebay feedback, which can be imported on some venues. And I login to those sites, so it shows I am active. Nothing. That is my experience.

The popularity of eBay is the only reason I am there, and the only reason I care when they change policy. Switching auction sites is one thing, but if I can't ever sell anything, what's the point? I can have a garage sale and not sell stuff too.

I'll just build the fees into my pricing. Everyone is affected by this change, sellers or buyers.

Yup, I was with them since November 2005. Yeah they do have allot of traffic, but it's getting weaker and weaker as the years go on.

The reason is as others have posted here. They are taking advantage of people. Period. As with any business, the more you take advantage of your customers, the more likely they are to come back.

They will in time dwindle to average at the most. (Like Kmart did and others). They know this and are taking what they can get. (Which you can't blame them I guess).

Another will come along with bigger and better idea's in the years to come. It's all about money anyhow, that's why everyone flocks to them.

But with the intro to square and others coming along, they will soon just be another avenue.

Anyhow, great idea's from everyone.

Have a great day guy's

• Like 1

Well sometimes......

Ebay can not make everyone happy so they made a decision that is good for most buyers and has a marginal affect on most sellers....Sorry to say there will be a few that fall through the cracks.....So best outline your case to Ebay and see if they can come up with a commission schedule that fits your business...

I don't know why you keep saying it will only affect a 'marginal amount' of sellers. It will affect EVERY SINGLE SELLER ON EBAY. I have spoken to a dozen sellers and not a single one said 'it won't bother me'. It will affect every damn seller who has been charging the honest,actual shipping for an item.

any just to satisfy my curiosity..do you sell on ebay?

I don't know why you keep saying it will only affect a 'marginal amount' of sellers. It will affect EVERY SINGLE SELLER ON EBAY. I have spoken to a dozen sellers and not a single one said 'it won't bother me'. It will affect every damn seller who has been charging the honest,actual shipping for an item.

any just to satisfy my curiosity..do you sell on ebay?

Your wasting your breath BJ, you know it heheheeheheh Yes, it affects everybody, that's what bothers me the worse. Some people can't afford those stupid fee's they had to start with, and if you charge to much to the buyer, they won't bid. I think Roxy has a kick back or Corp. stock, I'm telling you guy's, I've said it before!!! eheheheh dry.gif

P.S. I think in Canada, marginal means everybody! weeeeeeeee ;)

• Like 1

Don't say it BJ...... go cut some vinyl man!!! heheehehehehe :blink:

• Like 1

So the examples they are showing are just lies?.....Or am I being too gullible? Canadians do that at times.....

yes,you are. Ebay likes to screw people and make them think it's for their own good. Just like when they left sellers vulnerable to blackmail by taking away our ability to leave anything other than positive feedback.

example

Current NOW sell an item at $50.00 w/$10.00 shipping in all categories. current Fee 12%. Total fee on the $50.00 is $6.00

NEW FEE sell the same item $50.00 /with $10 shipping in all categories, Total $60.00 NEW LOWERED FEE 11% . Total fee on $60.00 is $6.60. Higher Fees.

All the charts are on EBAY under seller fees, and can be compared.

New seller charts are under announcements

example

Current NOW sell an item at $50.00 w/$10.00 shipping in all categories. current Fee 12% total fee on the $50.00 is $6.00

NEW FEE sell the same item $50.00 /with $10 shipping in all categories, Total $60.00 NEW LOWERED FEE 11% total fee on $60.00 is $6.60

my final value fee will be 13%..up from 12%. IT all depends on how much you sell,and what you are selling. Small sellers and people who do big volume with small items will suffer the most.

The point is, they are taking a percentage of something WE DON"T GET if we charge actual shipping.

• Like 1

Sorry you are getting shafted....

I have never sold anything on Ebay but will ask my brother what he thinks....He sells stamps and has for many years.....From what I can tell it has been very profitable for him....But also I think he has very good margins so I he gives 155 to Ebay / Paypal he still has lots left for him...

I guess that is why my Ebay stock has gone up so much in the last 2 years...Bought at less than 11.00 and they are over 30.00....Hopefully they will start paying dividends one of these days....Wish I would have got in in day 1 at 0.75 and 4 splits ago...