BannerJohn

Just when I thought Ebay couldn't get any worse

starting in July.....ebay will be charging the final value fee based on TOTAL PAID. This includes SHIPPING!!!!! So now they are charging anywhere from 10-12% of your SHIPPING fee as well. This is just WRONG, people! I'm very close to just telling these greedy thieves what to do with their fees.

man and I was gearing up to start doing ebay stuff....sounds like I may skip that whole direction....<_<

man and I was gearing up to start doing ebay stuff....sounds like I may skip that whole direction....<_<

my ebay sales are about 30% of what they were 2 years ago....the only reason I keep the store is to get new customers..which currently make up about half of my outside ebay sales.

They must be hurting for cash,is all I can say. They seem to be doing everything they can to piss of sellers.

I do not think it has anything to do with greed....I think it is to bring sellers of cheap stuff with high shipping charges back in line...

I do not think it has anything to do with greed....I think it is to bring sellers of cheap stuff with high shipping charges back in line...

The E-mail I got from fleabay says it is starting that policy in April.

The E-mail I got from fleabay says it is starting that policy in April.

from the notice:

Sellers subscribed to a Store: To reward free and low-cost shipping, Final value Fee rates will be reduced and applied to the total amount of sale—including shipping—starting July 6.

* Sellers not subscribed to a Store: Starting April 19, list Auction-style FREE up to 50 items a month—any start price—and add the Buy It Now option FREE to capture those buyers in a hurry. You pay only if your item sells. Auction-style Final Value Fees will apply to the total amount of sale, including shipping. Starting July 6, Fixed Price Final Value Fee rates will be reduced and applied to the total amount of sale, including shipping.

from the notice:

Sellers subscribed to a Store: To reward free and low-cost shipping, Final value Fee rates will be reduced and applied to the total amount of sale—including shipping—starting July 6.

I apologize. I assume if you have a store it starts July. My e-mail said this.

Also, because we know buyers take into consideration the total cost of an item, also starting April 19, to encourage sellers to keep shipping costs low, the Final Value Fee will be applied to the total amount of the sale--including shipping.

I apologize. I assume if you have a store it starts July. My e-mail said this.

Also, because we know buyers take into consideration the total cost of an item, also starting April 19, to encourage sellers to keep shipping costs low, the Final Value Fee will be applied to the total amount of the sale--including shipping.

* Sellers not subscribed to a Store: Starting April 19, list Auction-style FREE up to 50 items a month—any start price—and add the Buy It Now option FREE to capture those buyers in a hurry. You pay only if your item sells. Auction-style Final Value Fees will apply to the total amount of sale, including shipping. Starting July 6, Fixed Price Final Value Fee rates will be reduced and applied to the total amount of sale, including shipping.

my email just came:

We know that online buyers pay attention to the total cost of an item--including shipping--when deciding what and where to buy. That's why, to encourage low-cost shipping, starting July 6 Final Value Fee rates for Store sellers--Fixed Price and Auction-style--will be reduced and then applied to the total amount of the sale--including shipping.

John have you analyzed your fees to see how it affects you?....

yes I have. I sell a lot of banners and yard signs. This will add approximately $1-1.30 to the final value fee of every sale.

the whole p;oint is, they are charging a fee on SHIPPING which I don't see...I barely charge enough to cover shipping as it is. This is just WRONG any way you look at it. The IRS considers shipping a business expense and doesn't charge taxes on it.

Craigslist does better with everything around here ( Baltimore , Md area ). In WV , it is empty & hardly anybody frequents it . I suggest trying Craigslist as it is totally free ( as of now ) .

Where is Google auction when you need them . . . . . I have said for years they need some serious competition. right now it has the effect of a monopoly

yes I have. I sell a lot of banners and yard signs. This will add approximately $1-1.30 to the final value fee of every sale.

the whole p;oint is, they are charging a fee on SHIPPING which I don't see...I barely charge enough to cover shipping as it is. This is just WRONG any way you look at it. The IRS considers shipping a business expense and doesn't charge taxes on it.

I agree John. Shipping should have zero to do with the freakin fees. I've gotten reamed so hard on shipping it's not even funny, from a 19.00 shipping fee to ship a light little video game to Germany, or 45.00 to ship other stuff, or just the constant 12.00-16.00 fees for regular products all over the U.S., assuming they're less than flat-rate. Shipping is hella expensive, and I simply cannot afford to ship anything 'free', and if we're discouraged to charge what shipping costs, how does the individual compete with high-volume businesses?

Yes, some people charge high shipping rates, so people should not buy their products. Instead, eBay wants to punish all sellers by taking more fees from shipping? It's crazy. I still lose money on shipping coz it's hard to believe how much stuff costs to ship...until you actually start shipping stuff all over the world and see what it costs first-hand. I still find myself under-valuing it but I am getting better.

The point is, I shouldn't be charged fees on shipping. The fees are bad enough as they are on the merchandise.

Is this because your shipping costs are high?

I charge actual cost,or less.....and in the case when I have to ship UPS....I eat the cost of the shipping box. In some cases, I actually LOSE money on shipping. Last week I shipped some signs and a banner..to the midwest...I charged $12 based on the rate chart I had..actual cost was $18.

example...for me to ship a 2x6 banner to California...actual shipping charge is $10.20. priority Mail. If I get insurance, that;s another $1.65.

UPS is about the same...without the extra for insurance.

The being a lot of dealers sell for 1.00 and 20.00 shipping and there only bay eBay on the 1.00 and pocket the 20.00 when it only cost 2.00 to ship. That is why.

I agree John. Shipping should have zero to do with the freakin fees. I've gotten reamed so hard on shipping it's not even funny, from a 19.00 shipping fee to ship a light little video game to Germany, or 45.00 to ship other stuff, or just the constant 12.00-16.00 fees for regular products all over the U.S., assuming they're less than flat-rate. Shipping is hella expensive, and I simply cannot afford to ship anything 'free', and if we're discouraged to charge what shipping costs, how does the individual compete with high-volume businesses?

Yes, some people charge high shipping rates, so people should not buy their products. Instead, eBay wants to punish all sellers by taking more fees from shipping? It's crazy. I still lose money on shipping coz it's hard to believe how much stuff costs to ship...until you actually start shipping stuff all over the world and see what it costs first-hand. I still find myself under-valuing it but I am getting better.

The point is, I shouldn't be charged fees on shipping. The fees are bad enough as they are on the merchandise.

I agree 100% in every way.

Ebay has had a policy for some time against excessive shipping....if you reported someone, they usually took down the listing. I reported some jerk who was selling a new Mac for $1 with $1499.00 shipping. It was taken down. BUT I guess it was too much work for ebay to investigate the claims...so all of us pay the price.

The being a lot of dealers sell for 1.00 and 20.00 shipping and there only bay eBay on the 1.00 and pocket the 20.00 when it only cost 2.00 to ship. That is why.

ebay has a policy against this...but I guess it was just too much trouble to enforce.So the honest sellers like me pay the price.

As I read more about this, it looks to me like the majority of sellers will not be affected much....But some like you will fall through the cracks....Sorry that it affects you the way it does....

Not sure if you ship enough to get a better rate with Fedex or UPS....But you might ask if you can get a contract rate...I am by no means a large shipped but was able to get a deal from Fedex in Canada....Can you join an association that has a discount shipping rate...NFIB for example.....

As I read more about this, it looks to me like the majority of sellers will not be affected much....But some like you will fall through the cracks....Sorry that it affects you the way it does....

Not sure if you ship enough to get a better rate with Fedex or UPS....But you might ask if you can get a contract rate...I am by no means a large shipped but was able to get a deal from Fedex in Canada....Can you join an association that has a discount shipping rate...NFIB for example.....

it will affect every seller who does not already offer free shipping..and they have been paying the fee all along.. The reduction in FVF is small...and in my case, none.

The last time they 'adjusted' fees, my store listing fee went from .03 cents to 20 cents.

I get shipping discounts with UPS and USPS...which usually takes care of the fee hikes I have seen every year for the past 3 years.

Like I said, just another way for ebay to screw us.

bingo!

imo, just adjust your shipping rates higher to accommodate. if your charging $1 to ship, go to $1.25 not much of a change afa the end customer, and youll actually make more.

bingo!

imo, just adjust your shipping rates higher to accommodate. if your charging $1 to ship, go to $1.25 not much of a change afa the end customer, and youll actually make more.

which is ridiculous and ironic because that is what ebay is 'attempting' to stop. seems a necessary evil once july comes around. eBays whole idea to include shipping is ludicrous.