GorillaPressPrinting

Startup Questions, need help selecting a plotter

Greeting and salutations,

I was wondering if you guys could give me some input as to what plotter would work best for my needs. Basically I started a screen printing business 5 months ago and we are starting to get quite busy with orders. We are getting into the spring sports season and I need an easy way to make short runs of jerseys for folks. I have been looking at a vinyl plotter so that I can use heat press vinyl to create short runs (10 to 15) of jerseys, softball T's etc. Looking to be able to create logos as well as numbering and lettering for the backs. Eventually we are going to get into signage and production of vinyl decals etc, but garments are my primary need for now. I would also be using it for small tshirt orders when people are looking for a small amount (less than 12) of tees and screen printing isnt cost effective.

Specifically:

1. Do I need one of the heavier duty plotters for cutting heat press material in low to moderate volume?

2. Is it more cost effective to cut your own numbering and lettering than buying the premade stuff?

Like I said, down the road I am sure we will get more into production signage but for now just need a set up for garments. This is my first post, thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers!

Jeremy-Gorilla Press Printing.

Hey Jeremy,

To start off with I'd get a Laserpoint. It's a stout machine. You may need a bigger one than 24', but with t-shirts I would think this would do fine for you.

It also does contour cutting as well. If your wanting to invest more, go with a graphtec or a zencut or even a copam machine. All will do what you need. The LP is a great choice for the money. I guess it's in how much money your wanting to spend.

Greeting and salutations,

I was wondering if you guys could give me some input as to what plotter would work best for my needs. Basically I started a screen printing business 5 months ago and we are starting to get quite busy with orders. We are getting into the spring sports season and I need an easy way to make short runs of jerseys for folks. I have been looking at a vinyl plotter so that I can use heat press vinyl to create short runs (10 to 15) of jerseys, softball T's etc. Looking to be able to create logos as well as numbering and lettering for the backs. Eventually we are going to get into signage and production of vinyl decals etc, but garments are my primary need for now. I would also be using it for small tshirt orders when people are looking for a small amount (less than 12) of tees and screen printing isnt cost effective.

Specifically:

1. Do I need one of the heavier duty plotters for cutting heat press material in low to moderate volume?

2. Is it more cost effective to cut your own numbering and lettering than buying the premade stuff?

Like I said, down the road I am sure we will get more into production signage but for now just need a set up for garments. This is my first post, thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers!

Jeremy-Gorilla Press Printing.

If it looks like your business is really taking off...I suggest you buy the best that you can afford...you will be glad you did. The Graphtec would be my first suggestion...if the money is a bit high, then the Copam.

By cutting your own letters, you have the option of just about any font there is....

Hope this helps

We Recommend the Roland GX-24, this is a proven great cutter and comes with Roland cut studio software in which everything you design with this program is already wire-framed.

This machine can cut small pieces up to 24 inch wide material. Roland will never leave you behind, they have great tech support if you have any problems. We purchased this cutter for samples in our own shop and it works great for easy cuts like names and number and it is amazing what it can do with the high detailed cut images.

Good luck and don't forget to press press

Thanks for all the input!

I am thinking of going with the laserpoint, anyone have and info on how they handle heat press vinyl? Just got 3 more orders for softball tees, I needed this thing yesterday LOL. I hate buying things twice so the copam might be the right machine for me though. My primary need is short runs of tees/jerseys where heat press vinyl is more practical than screen printing.

Have you downloaded Signblazer and taken a look at it?....This is what ships with many US Cutters...Some folks have a struggle with it while others think it is the best thing since sliced bread.....If you can not use it, many US Cutters also come with SignCut for 1 year....Then you need to upgrade software....Where as if you get A Graphtec or Roland they come with software....If you are mostly doing uniforms the 15" Graphtec will work fine...It can be a little wasteful because of the width of material it takes...But it will make you plenty of money and then you can upgrade later and have a solid spare machine...