Dbannon

transfer cracks after first wash

Is is common for heat transfers to crack after the first washing? I did a few t-shirts using HTW transfer paper, pigment ink, followed the instructions to a T, but when washed (by the instructions) the image looks cracked. Am I doing something wrong, or is this common?

Light or dark shirt?

I've used JPSS on whites and 3G Jet Opaque on darks and neither cracked or peeled after several washes.

The issue might be application techniques. Have you checked your press for correct time, pressure and temp settings?

Light shirt, followed instructions, checked time and heat. Even turned them inside out and washed on cold, and dried without heat. Not too sure on pressure, i figured if it's hard to lock down, it's heavy, and easy is light. Unless there's a science to it. And I'm using the same press as you have.

What press do you have?

We use either JPSS or Performance Screens lite garment Transfers and 3G Opague for Darks. Nothing else.

Sounds like you did everything right.

What tshirt did you use, weight and 50/50 or 100 % cotton?

I have a TransPro 15x15 press, Epson WF1100, both ClearSoft inkJet and HTW InkJet Light-Premium transfer papers, Anvil Pre-shrunk 100% cotton, and Jerzees Heavyweightblend 50/50 shirts. I just can't figure it out why after the first wash they are cracking. I'd hate to make a bunch of shirts to sell, and then have a reputation for low quality products. I'm almost scared to make anymore.

no, that wasn't in the instructions. is that something i need to do?

how soon after pressing are you washing them? I know the JPSS says wait 24 hours before washing.

Also, did you pre-heat the t-shirts before heat pressing the transfers on the t-shirts?

We don't stretch them, but we pre-heat them to take out the moisture.

I heat the shirt to flatten it out, how long do I press the shirt for to get the moisture out? 24 hrs? that could be my problem, I think it was around 8-10 hrs before I washed them.

I heat them for about 10 seconds to get the moisture out.

I also washed mine right away, and had no problems. We're talking about cheap-o's for light, and 3g opague for darks. Washed both of them right after I pressed them, and no problems.

stretch is probably your problem, if you are doing light colors you have to stretch as soon as you take the paper off.

I don't stretch them and they're fine.

It's probably the Transfer itself.

Every heat transfer paper is a little different to use. It would be best to contact the supplier and see if they have a solution. If not, make sure your heat press is actually showing the correct temp. Too much heat can be a bad thing. I would also try pre and post stretching. Wait the full 24 hours as well to rule it out.

I have the same question, I am pressing at 370 for 30 seconds,  I do pre press to release moisture for 5 seconds, and slightly stretch fabric after I press image, then my instructions say after I slightly stretch pressed image, press again for 10 seconds...still getting cracking after first wash, only on light transfers...any suggestions? 

3 hours ago, Gin said:

I have the same question, I am pressing at 370 for 30 seconds,  I do pre press to release moisture for 5 seconds, and slightly stretch fabric after I press image, then my instructions say after I slightly stretch pressed image, press again for 10 seconds...still getting cracking after first wash, only on light transfers...any suggestions? 

Are these plastisol, inkjet or what type of transfer?   Where did you get them?

• Like 1