NukleoN

WF1100 Skunky Smell!

I just got the Epson WF1100 installed tonight from Cobra Ink Systems, but I noticed when powered on it has this 'skunky' sort of smell. Not sure how else to describe it. I noticed that when powered on, my LP24 has the same sort of smell.

Does this skunky smell for the WF1100 go away, and does anyone know what causes it? I don't recall this smell from my WF30.

Do you guys with WF1100 printers keep them powered on all the time, or just when you're printing? I just want to make sure I don't clog the heads by having it powered off if it's doing any kind of cleaning or something occasionally when powered on.

Any advice on this is welcome. I have a very good sense of smell too so not sure how many of you can even smell this.

Mine doesn't have the smell, but I haven't really looked for it either...

I wouldn't worry about it. If it's what I think it is, it's just the smell electronic components give off. I never bothered to check as to why they emit that smell.

I keep mine on 24/7. I print every few days to keep the heads free flowing.

Mine doesn't have the smell, but I haven't really looked for it either...

I wouldn't worry about it. If it's what I think it is, it's just the smell electronic components give off. I never bothered to check as to why they emit that smell.

I keep mine on 24/7. I print every few days to keep the heads free flowing.

Thanks for the quick reply. Keeping it on doesn't inherently help against ink-clogging does it? I know we have to print with pigment-ink printers at least once a week to keep clogs away, but does it need to be powered on between prints for any reason?

And like I said, I have a freakishly good sense of smell (I certainly don't look for them hahaha), but I smell the same odor when my LP24 is on too. I know, I am weird. :lol:

Maybe you should call the company you bought the printer from.

Usually that kind of smell is due to burning plastic or electrical parts.

Turn off your machine, unplug it and call Tech Support.

Maybe something happen in shipping.

I've never spelled a stinky spell except from burning parts/plastic. Even if I'm wrong, it doesn't hurt to call tech support from either Cobra or Epson.

Maybe you should call the company you bought the printer from.

Usually that kind of smell is due to burning plastic or electrical parts.

Turn off your machine, unplug it and call Tech Support.

Maybe something happen in shipping.

I've never spelled a stinky spell except from burning parts/plastic. Even if I'm wrong, it doesn't hurt to call tech support from either Cobra or Epson.

It's more of a 'skunky' smell but not a burning smell. Apparently it's just the newness of the electronics, and I have to stress that the LP24 has the exact same smell when I power it on, so maybe it won't go away. At least I can deal with it by powering it off when not printing.

I've never had that spell and I deal with a lot of printers.

We've only got that spell when somethings shorting out. I wouldn't take a chance.

Well, don't know about the skunk, might want to check under the hood on that thing! hehehe But new electronics, especially new psu's! Oh man, I love that smell first thing in the morning, there's nothing better weeeeee

Don't worry NUK, this is normal. New electronics when they get hot, heat up and cause that smell from the silicone. BUT, this is a huge debate over at the tech guy's forum. Some say getting hot, some say it's the ink, some say it's just because it's new.

In any instance, I've hear this complain for year's. ie. me as well

Your printer should be just fine though. How long is your warranty?

Just run it like mad and check it out while the warranty's still good just to give yourself peace of mind.

P.S. It's like Screenprintr said though, run it like mad and check it out good. Never hurts to be cautious.

Have A Great One!

We've only got that spell when somethings shorting out. I wouldn't take a chance.

You mean "smell" ScreenPrintr?

hheheeheh This must have been b4 the coffee this morning. ;)

Screen, I would accept this hypothesis, except that my LP24 always smells like this when I run it. I appreciate the idea that something is burning, but I know the smell of burning plastic vs. this mysterious skunky smell. Like I said tho my sense of smell is crazy good...some people might not even smell this. It's subtle but pervasive. Maybe it will just fade in time (I hope!). ;)

Well, don't know about the skunk, might want to check under the hood on that thing! hehehe But new electronics, especially new psu's! Oh man, I love that smell first thing in the morning, there's nothing better weeeeee

Don't worry NUK, this is normal. New electronics when they get hot, heat up and cause that smell from the silicone. BUT, this is a huge debate over at the tech guy's forum. Some say getting hot, some say it's the ink, some say it's just because it's new.

In any instance, I've hear this complain for year's. ie. me as well

Your printer should be just fine though. How long is your warranty?

Just run it like mad and check it out while the warranty's still good just to give yourself peace of mind.

P.S. It's like Screenprintr said though, run it like mad and check it out good. Never hurts to be cautious.

Have A Great One!

Good post, Ash, nice to know it's not just me! It is bothering me a bit but I hope it goes away. I might just run it a good bit and see if I can get it to 'break in' and not have that smell.

The warranty is the normal one since it's brand new, not sure how long it is. Oddly my LP24 has the same smell when it's running.

Yes, that's it then, it's the fresh smell of electronic's getting hot if you smell it on your LP.

I smell it also.

I believe it's ok, just like I said though, don't take a chance and loose your money though. :)

Nuk,

I was probably getting ready for bed at 5:12 am. The forum says 8:12, but I promise I was asleep at 8:12 am. I worked late the last couple of days to finish my St. Pat's day t-shirts. Have another one tonight, and then probably Saturday, and Sunday.

Whew, when can I get some sleep?

I'm pretty sure the time stamps on this forum are Pacific time.

Hey Nuk,check the t-shirt section,Mr.300 did a thread on a program that would do an auto test print.If you want ot just do it yourself,the suppiort page on cobra's website has the file of the rose picture test print that should have come with your printer.I just had to unclog a dirty head on my WF1100 and it was not fun,would recommend you od one or the other to prevent them from plugging.I got lots of ink on me and had to basically suck the clog thru the tube to the cart on the printer with the syringe for the waste removal.hope it helps

Hey Nuk,check the t-shirt section,Mr.300 did a thread on a program that would do an auto test print.If you want ot just do it yourself,the suppiort page on cobra's website has the file of the rose picture test print that should have come with your printer.I just had to unclog a dirty head on my WF1100 and it was not fun,would recommend you od one or the other to prevent them from plugging.I got lots of ink on me and had to basically suck the clog thru the tube to the cart on the printer with the syringe for the waste removal.hope it helps

Printer is totally fine! Not sure why you're talking about clogging, though I appreciate your tips. Was just wondering about the skunky-ish smell, though it does seem to be going away (or I could be noticing it less).

:)

You can also use the printer for everyday printing. Ink works great on paper too. If you print everyday you should be fine without clogging.

That driver doesn't work with all OS' but you can Schedule a test print daily through Microsoft Scheduler.