AshComputers

Buy A Keyspan When You Order

I think the issue here is that the plotters are serial devices that uses a USB port using serial to USB conversion in the plotter's motherboard. The Keyspan which is a branded USB to Serial RS232 DB9 adaptor converts the DB9 interface on the plotter to USB which then allows you to add a serial port to the newer computer motherboards that do not have the RS232 connections. This is why, unlike your printer and or other USB devices, the OS/computer does not detect the plotter itself, but the serial port in the form of a COM address (Serial). So essentially, the plotters with built-in USB ports, (USB B connector) is simply the plotter's built-in USB-to-Serial adaptor. But as indicated, these are not all made the same. Some have better chipsets and better electronics than others. The Keyspan would allow one to bypass the "inferior" USB-to-Serial port built in to the plotter and use the native serial connection and allow for the Keyspan to do the conversion, which Ash and other seem to think is superior.

I have yet made an opinion on this, since the relatively short time I had my plotter, I have not had any bad experiences with the built-in conversion. Albeit, intially, I did have a problem, which I quickly identified. When I attempted to use COM1-COM3 which is generally the "natural" RS232 interface address, my Asus Crossfire Formula board was not relaying the information correctly to the OS, possibly from a conflict due to the reserved address space for that COM address. However, moving it to a more "virtual" port address of COM6 seems to have resolved this issue. My experience with the US Cutter on board conversion is limited, but my experience with similar USB to Serial converters are quite intensive. As an IT professional in the Legal field, court reporters who have not migrated to the newest transcription devices require a RS232 DB9 port to communicate to the laptops used in depositions.

Problem in those situations lies on the fact that none of our Lenovo laptops have a built-in serial port and Belkin and other convertors we have tried have very shaky 64-bit drivers for Windows 7. I have a collection of these at work and one day I will check how many are Keyspans, but I'm sure at least 1 or 2 are. So for this application we have resorted to using docking stations that have built-in serial ports which works just fine.

After a quick check, it appears the the Keyspan uses the same chipset, FTDI as the built-in ones on our plotters. However, further research shows that the WHQL drivers are 32-bit WIN XP/VISTA not 64-bit, nor does it say Windows 7. So I don't really know, outside of the testimony here on how good these are. But for Mac Users, I would guess it is probably a good buy at $40 shipped to pick one of these up, since it appears to work on OSX 10.2.8 and higher.

Ok, I surrender. Fighting this without a keyspan is just getting too expensive. I've lost days worth of work / $. I'll buy the keyspan tomorrow.

One question, when I do my 3 point calibration at the beginning of my contour cut... I have to hit the 'up' arrow key 2-3 times to get it to jog at all. It takes a few seconds, then jogs up however many times I previously hit the key. Is this normal? Will this oddity exist with a keyspan?

Is there alot of static where your at Show?

The keypad on the cutter has nothing to do with the USB link as well.

That sounds like a cutter motherboard/memory issue.

Contact me man Tech@Ashcomputershop.com

Do you need the Keyspan with every cutter? I'm ordering a CE5000.

I always recommend them, just go look on the forum..... it speaks for itself. You wish you have bought one when you break down... trust me man, don't even take the risk, "You'll be sorrrryyy" ehheheheehehhe

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Speaking of the Keyspan, I told this awhile back, some jumped in my face saying "No you don't need these", guess what they are crying now....................... I NEED A KEYSPAN!!!!! heheheehhe

The misses is completely wrong about me, you know once in a blue moon I sometimes am right heheheeheheheh shhhhh don't tell her though! I won't be able to chase her for a month or so, what a life! heheheheehhe :unsure::blink:;):D

• Like 1

Ash is right

He helped me out big time a while back. Thanks again brother!

TomasB

TmsGraphicsSigns

• Like 1

I did wonder, I saw on newegg.com a while back there is a metal housing type USB to serial adapter that looks like commercial grade equipment. Also it was close to 80$... Wonder if it would be any more or less reliable than the keyspan device USC sells... Only a thought because it could easily be mounted to the underside of the cutter or it's stand...

That one you linked to is a standard version, and will be fine to use with your cutter.

Grab it.

RECEIVED MY kEYsPAN ADAPTER TODAY.

Dont forget to get a serial cable to go with it..

The KEYsPAN DOES NOT PLUG DIRECTLY INTO THE CUTTER....

RECEIVED MY kEYsPAN ADAPTER TODAY. Dont forget to get a serial cable to go with it.. The KEYsPAN DOES NOT PLUG DIRECTLY INTO THE CUTTER....

Most new cutters come with a serial cable and a USB cable....didn't yours?

hey Rodger,

not a techy person so get that straight right off. BUT, without buying a keyspan, would using the serial port cord be a better connection? Is it possible that that is the reason i get an error message i posted about ealier about cutter not being found when in fact i just finished a cut? hhhmmm  But i would need a longer cable than what came with it. I just bought a 10 usb - maybe should have gone the other route

When I bought my Copam , they did not have a usb port . I used the keyspan cord that came with it . I damaged the cord somehow & used the parellel cable for awhile . I had some problems with SignCut & went to a serial to serial since my computer had a serial port . I would install a serial port in your computer or buy a computer that has 1 & dedicate it to your cutter . Some of the better cutters do great with usb connections , but IMO the serial connection is by far better .

Well, I would have to agree to this topic! I just purchased the 34" SC cutter with SCAL software and on large cuts it would freeze up. I was using the usb cable with my laptop, I also would have to unplug the usb cable and plug it back in everytime I wanted to do another cut / project because it would like loose connection. I would not buy the keyspan from UScutter though I bought the same one on ebay for much less $27 free shipping I beleive. Just ran 2 sets of 20 decals for my business and didn't run into any of the problems I as having so problem solved I hope!!  Hope this helps someone in the future

Although you got lucky with your purchase, you'll find that most people agree the Keyspan adapter is *the* way to go because many of the cheap USB <> Serial adapters aren't any better than just using USB.  The Keyspan adapters are known to work perfectly in most situations, which is the main reason people on the forums recommend them.

PS - I'm a cheapskate, I tried to save money and I ordered one of cheap ones off of ebay to use with my VE R-31 cutter and it was WORSE than straight USB.

This one is the same name brand as UScutter has (Tripp-lite), it was getting pretty bad there for a second I probably wasted at least $50 of vinyl before I broke down and bought it. What I dont understand is if USCutter knows about this problem why dont they adjust the price and add this with the purchase. I would have enjoyed not dealing with problems with my purchase...... as a small business owner ( not vinyl related) I know people do not like headaches and a hassle free buy / product gets more reccamendations.

• Like 1

This one is the same name brand as UScutter has (Tripp-lite), it was getting pretty bad there for a second I probably wasted at least $50 of vinyl before I broke down and bought it. What I dont understand is if USCutter knows about this problem why dont they adjust the price and add this with the purchase. I would have enjoyed not dealing with problems with my purchase...... as a small business owner ( not vinyl related) I know people do not like headaches and a hassle free buy / product gets more reccamendations.

it's all about the cheapest price - same reason you didn't buy a graphtec or roland - price is what sells so they make it the cheapest possible

Well, if they want to keep the price low and not add the tripp lite with the cutter, even tho so many people have that problem..... maybe some kind of warning taped over the usb/serial port that mentioned the problem so when it happens the consumer will know right away what the problem is.

• Like 1

I understand I bought a hobby cutter and I am very happy with it honestly. I have cut a couple hundred decals since I recieved it 3 weeks ago. I am just saying its money in the bank for any business to fix the problem and solve it before the customer ever thought there was a problem to begin with...... know what I mean. It doesnt make sense to me to offer it later thats all just include it in the purchase adjust the price and there is no tech problem to deal with. I knew nothing of this hobby when I purchased this equipment so I wouldnt have known any different, I am just learning as I go. So far its a lot of fun

• Like 1

Finally picked up a keyspan not too long ago cause I was starting to finally have some issues with long runs on the new computer. Man its night and day. Highly suggest one.

Finally picked up a keyspan not too long ago cause I was starting to finally have some issues with long runs on the new computer. Man its night and day. Highly suggest one.

I heeded all the advise/warnings and purchased one for my MH and have never used it. I have never had a issue on the USB. (Well....I had one stray unexplained cut out of 100ish) So I am curious what is "night and day" about using a Keyspan over the USB?

I heeded all the advise/warnings and purchased one for my MH and have never used it. I have never had a issue on the USB. (Well....I had one stray unexplained cut out of 100ish) So I am curious what is "night and day" about using a Keyspan over the USB?

lots of people have had trouble with the flakey usb conversion chips on the mh model - glad you got one that is not a problem.  usually shows up more on long or complex designs.  the cheaper "value" cutters generally use a internal conversion to serial that is less than reliable - the keyspan is a much better chipset for this im most cases