Nitro218

New from Nor-Cal

Hey guys n gals.

New to vinyl cutting.

I'll most likely just be doing cutting for friends a family.

Im looking into a 24" cutter and I've been seeing a lot of USCutter's cutter on EBay for pretty cheap. Would you all recommend going that route for my uses?

The vinyl cutting will most likly be doing are window decals. What kind of vinyl do you guys recommend. I was looking at the GreenStar vinyl. Are those any good for long term outdoor decals?

Also, if I were to purchase one of USCutter's cutter off of EBay, do the come with software? same goes from directly form their site?

Any help and insight would be great, thanks

-Tony

Hey guys n gals.

New to vinyl cutting.

Im looking into a 24" cutter and I've been seeing a lot of USCutter's cutter on EBay for pretty cheap. Would you all recommend going that route for my uses?

The vinyl cutting will most likly be doing are window decals. What kind of vinyl do you guys recommend. I was looking at the GreenStar vinyl. Are those any good for long term outdoor decals?

Also, if I were to purchase one of USCutter's cutter off of EBay, do the come with software? same goes from directly form their site?

-Tony

Hello and welcome The uscutter cutters will do the job especialy for start up with a low start up cost. I have had a p cut for 2 years and it has preformed very well so far. most all the cutters come with signblazer software and some with signcut with a one year subscription also they have flexi software. I would go with at least oracal 651 from what i have heard of the greenstar it not that good of quality. (may want to get some to pratice on)you may want to read a lot before making up your mind and it will also help you when you do decide to start cutting vinyl.

Dan

Hello and welcome The uscutter cutters will do the job especialy for start up with a low start up cost. I have had a p cut for 2 years and it has preformed very well so far. most all the cutters come with signblazer software and some with signcut with a one year subscription also they have flexi software. I would go with at least oracal 651 from what i have heard of the greenstar it not that good of quality. (may want to get some to pratice on)you may want to read a lot before making up your mind and it will also help you when you do decide to start cutting vinyl.

Dan

Does anyone know if the MH-series or the EcoCut cutters are good for my use?

and what do you guys charge? my buddy does $5 per square foot. is that reasonable?

Does anyone know if the MH-series or the EcoCut cutters are good for my use?

and what do you guys charge? my buddy does $5 per square foot. is that reasonable?

There are many with that series of cutters they will probably chime in. As for price many factors dictate price the complexity, substrate, design factors etc. The main thing is to make a decent profit off your time.

Dan

There are many with that series of cutters they will probably chime in. As for price many factors dictate price the complexity, substrate, design factors etc. The main thing is to make a decent profit off your time.

Dan

I've done a lot of reading last night and today, and I think im set on the P-Cut and using Oracal 651.

What about colors, what are the main colors you guys sell. I was thinking black, white, red, blue, and green. I read somewhere on here that it would be a good idea to buy 50 yards of black and white and just do 10 yards of the colors.

Also what a good, must have list? Cutter, stand, software, vinyl, transfer tape, table, xacto knife or razor, squeegee. please add if im missing anything or if theres any items i dont need.

thanks for all you help

-Tony

I've done a lot of reading last night and today, and I think im set on the P-Cut and using Oracal 651.

What about colors, what are the main colors you guys sell. I was thinking black, white, red, blue, and green. I read somewhere on here that it would be a good idea to buy 50 yards of black and white and just do 10 yards of the colors.

Also what a good, must have list? Cutter, stand, software, vinyl, transfer tape, table, xacto knife or razor, squeegee. please add if im missing anything or if theres any items i dont need.

thanks for all you help

-Tony

You have the colors down pretty good and most of the tools needed you will need some app. fluid rapid tac or home brew a straight edge ,level and lots of paitence

Dan

Ok thanks. So what's the app fluid like what they use to put on tint? And for a home brew what would be the ingredients? Yes straight edge I couldn't think of the name. I could probably use a level for a straight edge?

Thanks again

Hey guys n gals.

New to vinyl cutting.

-Tony

Hi Tony!

Welcome to the site! I lived in NorCal for a bit and am now in SoCal, almost neighbors!

Consider this though, and I've been saying this a lot lately for those reading my posts, get the LaserPoint 24 (LP24) if you want to do contour-cutting later on! The LP24 is basically a PCut with a laser. Contour-cutting is basically when you print a full color image on vinyl from your printer (lots of info here on the best printer for this), and then 'cut' around those images with your cutter to make something like a die-cut sticker. If you have any idea that you want to do this later, definitely consider the LP24.

For printing decals, you want a printer with nice pigment ink, like Epson's Durabrite found in the Workforce series (WF). There are also excellent options for Continous Ink Systems (CIS) sold by vendors such as Cobra Ink, which invented the process and does turnkey installations on new Workforce printers, such as the WF30 or WF1100 (large format). You will also spend a LOT less on ink with a CIS printer from Cobra. Actually, I just bought a CIS WF1100 and might be selling my WF30 cheap here (uses standard Epson Durabrite cartridges).

I would hate to see someone who didn't know about these options buy a cutter and be upset that they didn't buy one good for contour-cutting.

Also, use Oracal 651, which is a calendered vinyl and suitable for outdoor app (like on a vehicle). It's tried and true, cuts and weeds well. You will get great results and enjoy your first cutting experience much more I think.

Ok thanks. So what's the app fluid like what they use to put on tint? And for a home brew what would be the ingredients? Yes straight edge I couldn't think of the name. I could probably use a level for a straight edge?

Thanks again

application fluid like rapid tac lets you position,reposition the graphic on the substrate it can also be used to clean the area before the application, The home brew is a home made app. fluid using 2 or 3 drops of clear dish detergent 1/4 cup 90 percent rubbing alcahol to a gallon of water. I think Banner John has a formula that works very well do a search.

Dan

Hi Tony!

Welcome to the site! I lived in NorCal for a bit and am now in SoCal, almost neighbors!

Consider this though, and I've been saying this a lot lately for those reading my posts, get the LaserPoint 24 (LP24) if you want to do contour-cutting later on! The LP24 is basically a PCut with a laser. Contour-cutting is basically when you print a full color image on vinyl from your printer (lots of info here on the best printer for this), and then 'cut' around those images with your cutter to make something like a die-cut sticker. If you have any idea that you want to do this later, definitely consider the LP24.

For printing decals, you want a printer with nice pigment ink, like Epson's Durabrite found in the Workforce series (WF). There are also excellent options for Continous Ink Systems (CIS) sold by vendors such as Cobra Ink, which invented the process and does turnkey installations on new Workforce printers, such as the WF30 or WF1100 (large format). You will also spend a LOT less on ink with a CIS printer from Cobra. Actually, I just bought a CIS WF1100 and might be selling my WF30 cheap here (uses standard Epson Durabrite cartridges).

I would hate to see someone who didn't know about these options buy a cutter and be upset that they didn't buy one good for contour-cutting.

Also, use Oracal 651, which is a calendered vinyl and suitable for outdoor app (like on a vehicle). It's tried and true, cuts and weeds well. You will get great results and enjoy your first cutting experience much more I think.

I agree with Nuk on this one, if your sinking the money, get the LP24

Thanks again

Level works great, thats what I use, it's a 10 footer, but 4 foot will work fine

on the LP24 it was sayin it was Compatible with Windows XP and Vista, what about Windows 7? so with the contour cutting would be like say a printed image on vinyl, say a car, and it cuts out the car?

and about printing decals, those would be like multi colored stickers or with images right? what are the price ranges on those for a beginner printer.

if i just stick with vinyl cutting and no contour cutting just stick with the P-Cut you think? for now i still think its just gonna be a hobby or something i do on the side for some cash. i dont think ill ever step from a little garage shop.

thank you guys very much for all you help. i do want to make the right and best decisions and i highly appreciate everything you guys are saying.

Here's the LP 24, with stand 499.99 http://www.uscutter....ure-_p_567.html

Pcut is 399.99 with stand http://www.uscutter....utter_p_74.html

It's your choice, but I'd go LP24, it's a $100.00 bucks difference that you will not regret.

The cutter's don't print, they cut vinyl letters, images, etc. The contour cutting cuts sharper lines and corner's. The Pcut and LP are the exact same machines, just the LP does contour cutting and has the laser.

I'm not playing with printers as of yet, the other guy's will have to chime in on that. Epson 1100 is what they use I believe though

Hope this helps

ok that helps, more in a simpler way to understand.

well what im tryin to do is buy off of ebay since they do start at $0.01 haha. they have a P-Cut on there for that price thats why i was thinking of of but if i see a LP 24 on there ill for sure get that one. i guess if ur gonna get one go big or go home. basically getting the best so you dont regret it.

i am on a tight budget but if i can i will consider the LP24 but if I dont end up gettin it ill go with the P-Cut.

also do u kno if both cutter are compatible with windows 7?

Yes they are, just get a keyspan, and watch out for that guy on ebay. Here you have a warranty if the thing breaks down. See what I'm saying? But anyhow, good luck to ya

on the LP24 it was sayin it was Compatible with Windows XP and Vista, what about Windows 7? so with the contour cutting would be like say a printed image on vinyl, say a car, and it cuts out the car?

and about printing decals, those would be like multi colored stickers or with images right? what are the price ranges on those for a beginner printer.

if i just stick with vinyl cutting and no contour cutting just stick with the P-Cut you think? for now i still think its just gonna be a hobby or something i do on the side for some cash. i dont think ill ever step from a little garage shop.

thank you guys very much for all you help. i do want to make the right and best decisions and i highly appreciate everything you guys are saying.

I asked the same thing earlier. Not only is the LP24 compatible with Windows 7, I am using it with Windows 7-64bit.

Yes they are, just get a keyspan, and watch out for that guy on ebay. Here you have a warranty if the thing breaks down. See what I'm saying? But anyhow, good luck to ya

well the ebay account is through uscutter

and thank you

I asked the same thing earlier. Not only is the LP24 compatible with Windows 7, I am using it with Windows 7-64bit.

same here Windows 7 with 64 Bit. wouldnt ever go back to 32

its been a while since ive been on here but ive settled on the pcut and 651. im currently bidding on a pcut from uscutter on ebay and hoping to get it cheap.

does anyone have any personal preference on what transfer tape to use? i want something cheap but good. and what size would be a good size to purchase. ill be cutting 24" vinyl on the 28" pcut.

Also do i necessarily need a keyspan? my laptop has a i guess you call keyspan port where you would plug in to connect to a monitor or a computer.

heheeh thats not a keyspan port...... you use your USB port on your lappy, usb cord to keyspan, keyspan cord to plotter.

Yes, ugh, yes get a keyspan, its 30 bucks not $100.00 bucks....................

I mind as well as get it when I get my vinyl here. I'm thinking for the first batch to get 651 24" x 10 yards in black, white, blue, red, and green. What to you guys suggest I get in colors and what shades of those colors. I ask because some are brighter and darker than the other.