To give a little unnecessary background info..... Im not really a business (though i do have a business license), just do lots of "side stuff." I have a sandblast cabinet so i decided to try etching some drinking glasses for Christmas presents. They were really popular and everyone wanted one. I was charging $5 per glass. At the time it was costing me about 50 cents for the glass and $1 to have the vinyl cut. Other costs are very minimal. Well now i have my own vinyl cutter

Now im in the works with getting a contract with several bars in town. They will provide their own glasses. One bar that is really interested right now wants bulk glasses with their logo 50 or 100 and they also want me to do mugs with peoples names on them, for a "mug club" thing. Where you bring your own mug in and get cheap drinks.

They provide the glasses

about 3"x3" vinyl for stencils

it takes longer to apply the vinyl and take the vinyl off then it does to etch the glass, it takes about 20 seconds to etch the glass.

What would you guys charge for something like this? I'd like to get some kind of sliding scale pricing printed out. Price would go down depending on number of glasses.

J4STR,

I don't know the anwser, but I thought I would ask you if $24 for a case of Pint glasses is a good price. A local Restaurant Supplier was saying he has about a hundred cases and wants to get rid of them. They're new of course.

Thanks,

Paul

i have no idea. When i was selling glasses i was buying glasses 12 packs of glasses from walmart for like 7 dollars, but they were very cheap and broke very easily. How many glasses are in a case?

Dollar store has big mugs ... oh for Bayotle :D .. they are $1 each ;D

• Like 1

Dollar store has big mugs ... oh for Bayotle :D .. they are $1 each ;D

Dayum skippy, no whimpy mugs for me (unlike a certain shining star! :P)

Dayum skippy, no whimpy mugs for me (unlike a certain shining star! :P)

LOL , I was making sure you knew they were $1 each... I was at the dollar store when you were asking the employees how much were the items ... I thought it was odd that you kept on asking the prices after the gal told you EVERYTHING in the store was $1 :huh:B)

• Like 1

To give a little unnecessary background info..... Im not really a business (though i do have a business license), just do lots of "side stuff." I have a sandblast cabinet so i decided to try etching some drinking glasses for Christmas presents. They were really popular and everyone wanted one. I was charging $5 per glass. At the time it was costing me about 50 cents for the glass and $1 to have the vinyl cut. Other costs are very minimal. Well now i have my own vinyl cutter

Now im in the works with getting a contract with several bars in town. They will provide their own glasses. One bar that is really interested right now wants bulk glasses with their logo 50 or 100 and they also want me to do mugs with peoples names on them, for a "mug club" thing. Where you bring your own mug in and get cheap drinks.

They provide the glasses

it takes longer to apply the vinyl and take the vinyl off then it does to etch the glass, it takes about 20 seconds to etch the glass.

What would you guys charge for something like this? I'd like to get some kind of sliding scale pricing printed out. Price would go down depending on number of glasses.

What do you use to sandblast them.. i want to start doing this myself?

i have a sandblaster just not sure what to use

They provide the glasses

I hear you about the etching time. There's a lot of time spent comparatively in prep and finish/clean up.

Here's my $.02 on pricing:

$8/each for small quantities, perhaps $6.50/each for 50 and $5/each for 100. $8/each for mugs as each is personalized and perhaps request a minimum order so you're not doing one at a time.

What do you use to sandblast them.. I want to start doing this myself?

i have a sandblaster just not sure what to use

I use coarse Aluminum Oxide . Not being snobbish etc , but all the blasting info is in the blasting section that is on the home page . Much too much to retype when it gets reasked . :)

• Like 1

I hear you about the etching time. There's a lot of time spent comparatively in prep and finish/clean up.

Here's my $.02 on pricing:

$8/each for small quantities, perhaps $6.50/each for 50 and $5/each for 100. $8/each for mugs as each is personalized and perhaps request a minimum order so you're not doing one at a time.

I agree but that is as cheap as I think the price should go & that is if you are hungry . I think $6 each would be my bottom dolaar price ( $2 cut decal , $2 apply & remove & $2 to blast ) . That is alot of time spent, but might turn into more work if you don't give the process away . Somebody will buy their own equipment & cut your price or make their own . :)

I agree but that is as cheap as I think the price should go & that is if you are hungry . I think $6 each would be my bottom dolaar price ( $2 cut decal , $2 apply & remove & $2 to blast ) . That is alot of time spent, but might turn into more work if you don't give the process away . Somebody will buy their own equipment & cut your price or make their own . :)

True. As I look back, I think $5 is too cheap even for such quantity. I did about 50 at $6/each a year ago (including the glass) for a close friend. I learned that I wouldn't do it for anyone else at that price again.

True. As I look back, I think $5 is too cheap even for such quantity. I did about 50 at $6/each a year ago (including the glass) for a close friend. I learned that I wouldn't do it for anyone else at that price again.

That is what i was thinking .I would do it since it is a good hourly rate if you didn't have anything more profitable going on . Better than sitting around watching the phone , hoping it rings :) , The most successsful business are the 1s that would do what they do for free if they could . IF you get eough enjoyment out of making the mugs , best to do the job for any profit as that promotes more business . That is also how big business kills the small business companies . Mugs are $1.06 at the local Dollar store , so final cost needs to be where the customer decides it is a good investment .

I would be quoting about 50.00 for the 1st piece and 10.00 to 15.00 for additional pieces based on quantity and style....1 side imprint only.....Personalization and 2nd side are extra.....

Sand carving is a premium product and should be priced as such....If they want the look of an "etch" but not the price you should quote them on screen printed product.....

As an example.....The Nordic mug is a good seller for me..... 36 sand carved would be 505.00.... 36 printed would be 288.00 (and can be 1 or 2 sides)

I would be quoting about 50.00 for the 1st piece and 10.00 to 15.00 for additional pieces based on quantity and style....1 side imprint only.....Personalization and 2nd side are extra.....

Sand carving is a premium product and should be priced as such....If they want the look of an "etch" but not the price you should quote them on screen printed product.....

As an example.....The Nordic mug is a good seller for me..... 36 sand carved would be 505.00.... 36 printed would be 288.00 (and can be 1 or 2 sides)

Putting myself in a bar owner's position . I would hope your estimate was on soft paper , so i cold at least use it :) . I don't know of anybody who would think somebody would pay that much for expendable stuff . Talk about the emotion when somebody dropped & broke those mugs vs a $1 mug :huh:? Sand carving is much more labor than etching & sand carving was not mentioned as I recall :huh: Pricing yourself out of the job is not a good busines practice IMO .. Every company I have ever seen does just the opposite , prices it to get the business & slowly adjusts to competitive prices . Don't make me tell the Hechinger's vs Home depot story again .. it brings some members to tears LOL

What is the difference between sand carving and etching?.....

And if I were quoting these for a bar, I would simply tell them to buy them from their food service vendor as I can not compete....Most food service vendors can sell direct via Libbey Glass at prices I can not touch....I often tell clients that I am not the best source for a particular client....

What is the difference between sand carving and etching?.....

And if I were quoting these for a bar, I would simply tell them to buy them from their food service vendor as I can not compete....Most food service vendors can sell direct via Libbey Glass at prices I can not touch....I often tell clients that I am not the best source for a particular client....

Etching is what 99.9 % of what people do .. it just effects the surface ... carving goes 1/2 deep at times . Same process , just a matter of desired result & time spent blasting .

If you were quoting for a bar , you would be telling them something they already know & do ... with the exception that the food service vendor would not offer personalized nugs as the OP is offering :huh: That what this thread is all about Roxy !!! :):huh: . Many bar owners I have talked to buy at the dollars stores already since the large mugs are $1 & cheaper than the vendors . $50 for a personalized mug ... WOW ... since you are so good at referring ... refer to me or others on this board & we wil supply you or them with the etched mug @ $25 etched with as many things as will fit . Multiples MUCH cheaper .. lol you are too much at times.. but still enjoyable :thumbsup:

Roger you are right.....I got a little off track....

As far as a price, I would try for 65.00 to 75.00 an hour so after materials and wear and tear on equipment you should have 40.00 to 50.00 an hour left....Remember pick up and delivery time!!! Remember unpacking and re-packing time!!! Could you do 20 to 30 an hour?....If so maybe charge somewhere between 2.25 to 3.75 per name......Good luck....

Roger you are right.....I got a little off track....

As far as a price, I would try for 65.00 to 75.00 an hour so after materials and wear and tear on equipment you should have 40.00 to 50.00 an hour left....Remember pick up and delivery time!!! Remember unpacking and re-packing time!!! Could you do 20 to 30 an hour?....If so maybe charge somewhere between 2.25 to 3.75 per name......Good luck....

LOL , you may not have read it correctly Roxy . I said $2 for making the decal , $2 for applying & removing & $2 for the etching AT the minimum . I don't have nothing that costs $25 an hour to operate including the 1455 Case track loader that has steel tracks that wear considerably ... A $600 vinyl cutter , a $200 sandblasting cabinent , $50 worth of abrasive , a $100 compressor & a few cents worth of electricity certainly would not cost that an hour to operate ... :huh: ( that is what most of the members have on here )

I seldom make specific trips for anything ever since the gas prices went crazy . I stock up on things when in that area & I would not deliver the migs for free . I think I could do 20 or 30 mugs in an hour ... at my lowest price that would be $120 to $180 an hour . I never rush & would not try to do that unless there was a bet involved ( thinking of Fred Flintstones betting reaction :) ) . IF I could get enough business at that rate , i would hire somebody in a second & hope more would come my way ... I would hire 3 shifts :) ) The prices you said .. from my experience .. would insult the people who i have talked to , since they would think i thought they were crazy or did not know enough to compariative shop at all . I guess what does not make sense is this forum is mostly beginners in a hobby or business type situation & in the position trying gain customers especially with the economy as it is . the competition level in this business level is immense , so giving prices that are home runs won't accomplish that . How many etched mugs have you sold lately ( if ever ? ) for $50 ?

So Roger you are saying you would be quoting Mr. Bar Owner 6.00 each?.....

As far as etched mugs, I am delivering an order this afternoon for a safety dinner Friday night.....333.00 for 11 mugs.....Nordic Mugs, logo on 1 side and project name, year and personal name on other side....My supplier charged me 183.21 all in....

I have not done any sand blasting myself but going to trying it soon..

Yes , If I was hungry ( with them supplying the glass like the OP stated ) . I would want $10 otherwise . In theory , I would go cheaper than $6 if I could contract enough to hire an employee full time . I have other business ventures that is not as competitive as Vinyl work/glass etching & that is my priority . The trick to get premium prices is to find a niche that has much more demand than supply . I think there is more supply than demand on most busines types right now ... especially vinyl cutting related stuff . Septic system installation is what did that for me in the past , now it is Mobile Home work .

Roxy , you have the contact info for that customer :D . I could cut your price in 1/2 & still make GOOD money . I would of course give you a reference fee !!! :) ( I am not saying I don't believe you ... just that I am thinking it LOL ) . I think you will not get pissy & enjoy the humor .. if it makes you mad ,let me know & I'll delete that part :thumbsup:

Why would anyone want to sell at a lower price?....My client had no complaints...But I am sure if the client would have shopped around they could have got a lower price than I charged.....Some folks are loyal to me because I am reliable and others shop because they want cheaper....I can not get them all but when I do I try to make a decent profit....

Why would anyone want to sell at a lower price?....My client had no complaints...But I am sure if the client would have shopped around they could have got a lower price than I charged.....Some folks are loyal to me because I am reliable and others shop because they want cheaper....I can not get them all but when I do I try to make a decent profit....

Oh that is an easy answer Roxy ..... instead of doing 1 order a week & making $149.79 profit ... do 20 orders or more a week @ 1/2 price & 1/2 profit ... make $75 on each order for a profit of $1,500 that week . That is how big business gets stinking rich . The lower prices is what generates the volume . My brother in law has a big machine shop .. makes stuff for car companies etc . he has several CNC machines which costs $300,00 + & prices stuff like that . the more the volume , the cheaper the price per item .

I agree to some extent , but Home Depot etc does not make anything .. they re-sell everything :huh: It depends on what direction & what goal is wanted. If just hitting a home run once in awhile ,, price it anyway you want .. but if increased sales & getting bigger/more volume is what matters ... price accordingly .