racinboy30

This weeks racecar stuff

Yeah, racecars are fun. Especially if they let you have at it and do what you want to do. Here's a few from my past stuff.

IMG_1182_1.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_1180_1.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1081-1.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

Every single thing you see was done using strictly signblazer, no other program was used. Everything was cut using a copam 2500 and using primarily FDC 4200 and Creative specialty films.

Nice work! :)

I can only imagine the repeat business with the amount of sheet metal they replace on a weekly basis! :)

Nice work! :)

I can only imagine the repeat business with the amount of sheet metal they replace on a weekly basis! :)

These cars are mostly local dirt racers, many just pound the dents back out and have at it till next year.

Cool! is that your rc EDM body??(95)

Nope, just a customer/fellow racer. He had a new one and I wanted to see what I could do. The small lettering was a extreme hassle. I had to cut the lettering three times. Some of the lettering was less than .25inch in height. It was pretty fun, just really small.

Those are awesome! I like your style.

Can I drop a noob question in here? I'm pretty sure I read on the 4um that on big layered jobs they get layered on the vehicle...? Is that how you typically do the cars as well?

Those are awesome! I like your style.

Can I drop a noob question in here? I'm pretty sure I read on the 4um that on big layered jobs they get layered on the vehicle...? Is that how you typically do the cars as well?

I layer everything I can on the cars, If it is like a sponsor logo or something running over a hoodscoop or something like that sometimes I will do it on a table for alignment sake. Sometimes stuff will warp going through bends and folds. If it's flat, do it right on the car.

• Like 1

I also wrap roofs and flatter panels with calendered vinyl as well with no app tape, dry and just a Teflon squeegee. The roof on the street stock in the first picture (black and blue #66) looked horrible, it didn't match the paint at all. I just wrapped it and problem solved. Being the way I did it covered up the mess underneath and it can be removed fairly easy later.

Very Very nice work. If you dont mind me asking how do you lay the designs out on the car? The ones with outlines and lining it up perfectly?.

Very Very nice work. If you dont mind me asking how do you lay the designs out on the car? The ones with outlines and lining it up perfectly?.

By eye and using ultra clear transferite. Once the base color is on it's fairly easy to line everything up. I usually over extend the actual design to be larger than I want it to give me some leeway. These car are not always symmetric in size. One side and differ from the other by 5 inches sometimes. I do everything in a template of sorts. That way it goes on the cars the way it was designed.

Thank you everyone for your compliments.

One more question... what is the biggest size vinyl you use? Your sig says a Copam 2500... so 24" is the biggest you use?

I take it there is an extraordinary amount of lining up vinyl when you install? I guess what I'm saying is that if you are doing all of that with a 24" cutter... I'm even more impressed.

One more question... what is the biggest size vinyl you use? Your sig says a Copam 2500... so 24" is the biggest you use?

I take it there is an extraordinary amount of lining up vinyl when you install? I guess what I'm saying is that if you are doing all of that with a 24" cutter... I'm even more impressed.

When I design something, I keep size in mind. Yes it limits what I can do with certain things. But most racecars main panels are no bigger than 24" anyways. When I use graphics larger than 24", i design it to be split up and then use the actual panels to hide the seems. 24" numbers are huge on most cars and vehicles. Most 24" numbers won't even fit on a cars doors with graphics and such. Most track rules say at least 14" to 16" numbers. Everything can be manipulated to fit 24" on a vehicle most of the time, even wraps. Though 30 or 60" is my next purchase. I would like to make enough this spring to purchase a sp300i or older 540 for both printing and cutting. I have a few coming up in the next week and I'll post them up when I finish.

what are u charging for that work??? it looks good, but most of my racer clients wont go over 100-150 for graphics.

what are u charging for that work??? it looks good, but most of my racer clients wont go over 100-150 for graphics.

The 66 is right around 400 installed. The 119 modified about 375 and most average between 300 and 600. It take two 8 hour day for a car like the 66 start to finish. The 35 took nearly 3. Most only take a day. I get just numbers, four sponsors, crew, special thanks, and single color graphics and in two standard FDC 4200 colors $225.oo installed. That was with a discount for putting my name on the cars as well.

When I design something, I keep size in mind. Yes it limits what I can do with certain things. But most racecars main panels are no bigger than 24" anyways. When I use graphics larger than 24", i design it to be split up and then use the actual panels to hide the seems. 24" numbers are huge on most cars and vehicles. Most 24" numbers won't even fit on a cars doors with graphics and such. Most track rules say at least 14" to 16" numbers. Everything can be manipulated to fit 24" on a vehicle most of the time, even wraps. Though 30 or 60" is my next purchase. I would like to make enough this spring to purchase a sp300i or older 540 for both printing and cutting. I have a few coming up in the next week and I'll post them up when I finish.

Thanks! I appreciate the explanation. I was having some perspective issues with it earlier... but totally get it now. Keep up the good work.