Sign in to follow this  
freezermink

Can't help buying things. Workforce 1100

So a friend of mine has a staples card and got some rewards that he let me use to purchase a WF1100 last night. Great deal at $100. not bad for a spur of the moment type of thing... can't complain.

i was going to wait to purchase the whole printer with cobraink cis kit, but i just got a shirt job that required that i get a printer asap, and i'm a sucker for buying stuff.

so far the thing has been fairly straight forward and prints like a champ. i threw some nice photo paper in there to see what i could get out of it and damn... looks great. (small side note - anything Hewlett Packard, especially printers, can die in a fire.)

i have a few questions that i'm not finding the answers to concerning the inks and CIS kits. first... is the ink that is supplied and used with the cobra ink kits a different kind of ink than is supplied with the printer? to rephrase, will the stock ink work as well as the cobra ink kits or am i wasting my time with the stuff? i'm planning to send this thing out to get the kit installed once i have some time to spare away from it, but until then i'd like to start getting my feet wet with printing to vinyl.

second, i'm seeing a lot concerning pigment vs dye inks. i've seen fairly definitively that pigment ink is the way to go, but i don't see many other CIS kits that contain pigment inks. does cobra inks have an option for installing the kits yourself? i'm a hands-on type of guy and prefer to do the installs/work myself if possible. i totally trust the guys, but as a hobby the install part of it is part of the fun. other than cobra, are there other reputable kits that are available? (i see a bunch online, but none that i can see that are any more or less reputable than cobra.)

thanks again guys!

Freezer,

I have a CIS kit available with Pigment Ink. Pigment Ink works really well with t-shirts. I also use my WF 1100 to print my Film or screen printing. Others on the forum print on Vinyl. I believe it's the SIHL 3198 or something like that.

The system I have is new, and I will include shipping in the cost. It's really easy to install.

Paul

ScreenPrintR@hereUare.com

732-773-1339

Freezer,

I have a CIS kit available with Pigment Ink. Pigment Ink works really well with t-shirts. I also use my WF 1100 to print my Film or screen printing. Others on the forum print on Vinyl. I believe it's the SIHL 3198 or something like that.

The system I have is new, and I will include shipping in the cost. It's really easy to install.

Paul

ScreenPrintR@hereUare.com

732-773-1339

sending an email to you now. thanks for the help.

anyone else have some input? dye vs pigment? i won't be printing directly to shirts, mainly just to vinyl and for screen printing velum and the like.

Your printer comes with pigment inks stock, so pigment in the CIS from Paul will work fine. You want pigment inks for t-shirts; it won't fade like dye inks can. Pigment inks print beautifully too (you already saw that though). They're also more water resistant than dye inks.

I went the cobra route and don't regret it, but Paul stands behind his CIS as well.

The vinyl a lot of us print on is Sihl 3988. It's a quality product. You can get it from sign warehouse or allsquareonline.

I just ordered the WF1100 from Richard at Cobra Inks and can't wait to start using it for jobs. This seems to be the go-to desktop printer, and a great size format for t-shirts (I plan to do shirts later, but am sneaking up on it step-by-step).

My Epson WF30 is almost out of ink and I was considering buying *shudder* replacement cartridges before I just pulled the trigger and bought the WF1100. ;)

Thanks Nite Walker.

No problem. :thumbsup:

I just ordered the WF1100 from Richard at Cobra Inks and can't wait to start using it for jobs. This seems to be the go-to desktop printer, and a great size format for t-shirts (I plan to do shirts later, but am sneaking up on it step-by-step).

My Epson WF30 is almost out of ink and I was considering buying *shudder* replacement cartridges before I just pulled the trigger and bought the WF1100. ;)

You did good. Mine has been very reliable since I got it. I'm still on the ink it came with too. They're about 2/3 full.

• Like 1

No problem. :thumbsup:

You did good. Mine has been very reliable since I got it. I'm still on the ink it came with too. They're about 2/3 full.

Thanks! I'm encouraged hearing how long these tanks last, and glad to see the ink prices are reasonable too.

I got my Workforce 1100 last week. So stoked on it. Along with mh721 plotter and the USCutter 9x12 swing away heat press. Kinda wishing I would have stuck with my original plan of getting the 15"x15" clamshell press. We'll see what happens. I'm doing simple stuff... had my fair amount of frustrations over small stuff but all in all... very happy.

I'm typically an illustrator (ink and brush) so learning what I need to do to transfer the "art" from the "lettering" is the "fun?" part. I just got sick of silkscreening and or dealing with 3rd parties for what I can do in my space.

Have good one!

GB

post-13924-0-78152000-1299775971_thumb.j

• Like 1

I got my Workforce 1100 last week. So stoked on it. Along with mh721 plotter and the USCutter 9x12 swing away heat press. Kinda wishing I would have stuck with my original plan of getting the 15"x15" clamshell press. We'll see what happens. I'm doing simple stuff... had my fair amount of frustrations over small stuff but all in all... very happy.

I'm typically an illustrator (ink and brush) so learning what I need to do to transfer the "art" from the "lettering" is the "fun?" part. I just got sick of silkscreening and or dealing with 3rd parties for what I can do in my space.

Have good one!

GB

This is great Gnar! I totally plan to get into shirts too, and we're both artists. Very nice ink you have on that shirt, cool original design. I want to see about getting some of my Z-Brush art on shirts as well as regular old vinyl stuff on black shirts too.

I've read that the bigger heat presses tend to be pretty useful for larger shirts, and some people like those large shirts. I'll probably go with the 16x16 Sunie clamshell according to reviews....it's been a while since I've read up on heat presses but Sunie was my number one bang for the buck unless there are some new brands to consider.

What were your frustrations with the small work you were having?

I've read that the bigger heat presses tend to be pretty useful for larger shirts, and some people like those large shirts. I'll probably go with the 16x16 Sunie clamshell according to reviews....it's been a while since I've read up on heat presses but Sunie was my number one bang for the buck unless there are some new brands to consider.

IMHO, the best heat presses for the buck are the Stahl's MAXX presses. The 15x15 is $795 minus some discounts floating around and worth every penny. No more cheap presses for me.

Next year I might upgrade to the 16x20 auto open since I just found out our breaker box has 20 amp circuits and not 15 like I thought originally.

• Like 1

IMHO, the best heat presses for the buck are the Stahl's MAXX presses. The 15x15 is $795 minus some discounts floating around and worth every penny. No more cheap presses for me.

Next year I might upgrade to the 16x20 auto open since I just found out our breaker box has 20 amp circuits and not 15 like I thought originally.

That's not a bad price, except for the size which bothers me. Are you finding that you really need a bigger press in your t-shirt making? I would love to see some of your shirt work too. In other news, I just got my WF1100 from Cobra Ink and it's working great, so now I am ready to make the next step (at some point) for shirts. ;)