Q

I want to play around with the greenstar

Hello everyone i just wanted to know if anyone has tried the greenstar vinyl on any walls and what were the results. Also what about spackled walls will any vinyl work on those type of walls. I am thinking of purchasing the greenstar starter pack but i dont want to waste $140 on vinyl if i can avoid it. Just dived into my own little business and the funds for vinyl products have gone down drastic so i need to avoid any pitfalls.

Thanks in advance

Oh yeah, greenstar from uscutter is GREAT STUFF! You say spackled walls? Is it painted sheetrock or drywall as some would refer to it? If so, I've already stuck some to it and yes, it really works well. I'm just wondering how long it will last in the 4 year old girls room. She'll probably have it wrapped around here head b4 long lol. But yeah, the greenstar is cheap and really good stuff. I sure like it. Customer stuff I use oracal 651, I think the guy's around here use it as well. :thumbsup:

great thanks for the speedy reply so would you suggest the 651 over the 631 for customer based products what about application tape will one specific kind work for both greenstar and or oracal. I have a customer who wants a dallas mavericks logo and a portland trailblazers logo i was hoping the starter pack would provide me with enough of the colors to start out but i noticed they did not have a grey in the pack. Also what about pricing i am trying to figure out how to price decals i have a 25" cutter so i can make a decent sized decal but not sure what to price them at especially if i am using more than one color.

Yeah the 631 is fine to use. App tape is fairly simple. You have tacky and real tacky. Try the low tacking at first, will be easier on ya. (Will work on both, just as the other app tape will work as well. Vinyl grade depends on how long you want it to last really in an outdoor exposure. I'd use oracal for customers and greenstar for practice, just because that's good business. You go cheap, they'll look at you as cheap lol Look here for pricing different stuff http://www.thesignex...alculators.html Oh boy, where to start on this subject. Those are copyrighted logo's your referring to, better leave that stuff alone. Copyrighted stuff is a huge no no. Do a search here on the forum for copyrighted stuff, you'll see plenty that gets in trouble for that. So my suggestion is stay FAR away from the copyrights

Hope that clears things up for you

great thanks for the speedy reply so would you suggest the 651 over the 631 for customer based products what about application tape will one specific kind work for both greenstar and or oracal. I have a customer who wants a dallas mavericks logo and a portland trailblazers logo i was hoping the starter pack would provide me with enough of the colors to start out but i noticed they did not have a grey in the pack. Also what about pricing i am trying to figure out how to price decals i have a 25" cutter so i can make a decent sized decal but not sure what to price them at especially if i am using more than one color.

Greenstar is fine material.....But it has permanent adhesive and a gloss finish.....Most folks want mat finish and temporary adhesive for wall decals...So Oracal 631 is a better choice....Make sure you also use the application tape for 631....

Yeah the 631 is fine to use. App tape is fairly simple. You have tacky and real tacky. Try the low tacking at first, will be easier on ya. (Will work on both, just as the other app tape will work as well. Vinyl grade depends on how long you want it to last really in an outdoor exposure. I'd use oracal for customers and greenstar for practice, just because that's good business. You go cheap, they'll look at you as cheap lol Look here for pricing different stuff http://www.thesignex...alculators.html Oh boy, where to start on this subject. Those are copyrighted logo's your referring to, better leave that stuff alone. Copyrighted stuff is a huge no no. Do a search here on the forum for copyrighted stuff, you'll see plenty that gets in trouble for that. So my suggestion is stay FAR away from the copyrights

Hope that clears things up for you

Ok after researching on copyrights i have a whole new outlook so yes i will be staying far from that area of decals. I have one more question.I really dont want to waste money on a ton of vinyl with a glossy finish especially if i want to use on my walls at home so what other brand would you suggest that wont hit you in the pockets and has a matte finish. My wife is a school teacher and wants me to make some cool stuff for her class room i was reading somewhere that they have chalk board vinyl is this true. Although i am practicing with the vinyl i am planning on selling some of the things i make. Sorry guess that is two questions.

Ok, first question. Oracal is the best I've used as far as quality and price. (3m is pricey stuff) compaired to Oracal. I basically buy all my vinyl through USCutter's. I've searched the net for the best price, plus shipping, plus great customer service, you can't beat USCutter. No I do NOT work for them lol I use Greenstar to practice with and thats it. Or if you want to use it for a throw away sign (One you don't care if someone takes it or not) it's fine for any of those. As far as any application, I don't use anything but Oracal. (This is only my opinion mind you). As far as chalkboard vinyl http://www.uscutter.com/search.asp?keyword=chalkboard

Hope this helps you, the wife, and the students ;)

Ok, first question. Oracal is the best I've used as far as quality and price. (3m is pricey stuff) compaired to Oracal. I basically buy all my vinyl through USCutter's. I've searched the net for the best price, plus shipping, plus great customer service, you can't beat USCutter. No I do NOT work for them lol I use Greenstar to practice with and thats it. Or if you want to use it for a throw away sign (One you don't care if someone takes it or not) it's fine for any of those. As far as any application, I don't use anything but Oracal. (This is only my opinion mind you). As far as chalkboard vinyl http://www.uscutter.com/search.asp?keyword=chalkboard

Hope this helps you, the wife, and the students ;)

Thanks for the great info and links this forum is awesome!!

I would not suggest using greenstar or 651 for any wall applications as these are permanent adhesives and may damage wall upon removal.

As far as trying to save money on materials, your selling these so the price of your materials would reflect on your pricing.

Using the correct product for the end use is a good basis to start with in your business. Greenstar, 651 or any other permanent vinyl being used as a wall/interior graphic application is not a good choice. Damage to walls and its high gloss should be enough to deter one from using it. 631 is matte for interior applications and has a water based non permanent adhesive designed for this. Gloss on a wall with lighting is extremely hard to read.

• Like 1

ok thanks for the info one more question i actually made another post for this, will the new app tape for the 631 work with any or most other vinyl i have a friend who wants me to make him some flames to put on the side of his car what type of vinyl would you recomend i already got a reply that avery fdc and some other brand were good choices but i would like to stay in the orcal family if possible. do i need a different type of app tape for vehicles and walls.

Naaaa, app tape is app tape. Just some are more sticky then others. It will work for everything your trying to do. Just use that roll and try different ones. You'll get an idea of what you like the best that way.

Hope that helps

Application tape is a personal preference and it is not all the same.....Tape for wall vinyl is lower tack than for other vinyls....Your clients will have problems if you use high tack tape for removable adhesive like 631....

Roxy, I use high tack for all my apps, no problems whatsoever. Guess its a personal choice though. Of course I use a frame for mine, except with walls and such. Thanks for the input :thumbsup:

i am using the clear app tape now on the 631 and i am having problems when applying to a wall, the letters stay stuck to the app tape so i was going to try the new app tape made for the 631 but i wanted to make sure it works with other vinyl so i could use it on cars also.

Use your squeegee on the letters. Should come right off the app tape. You can also lay the app tape on a piece of carpet, ( not fuzzy carpet and make it less sticky. I do this myself cause I hate 3 and 4 rolls of app tape laying around. Guess this is a choice of preference though. Buy you a roll of low tack and a roll of high tack if you wish.

Hope this helps