jdskin

best way to send decals in the mail

Going to start up an internet based decal business. I was curious if anyone has experience mailing decals and the best packaging/way to send them.

Decals for the most part are 5'-8' rear view window type decals for cars, etc.

Thanks in advance!!

roll in tube or large box

Do you mean feet or inches? A 8' rear window is pretty big?

If it's a 5" decal I just fold some stiff folder material in half or tape it to a small piece of cardboard slightly bigger than the decal and put the decal inside with a stamp on the envelope. If its too big to fit in an envelope then like Scott said I use a tube or box...

• Like 1

If they are cheaper decals to compete with other people I will send my 10x10s in an envelope via USPS first class. USPS is going to be the cheapest for envelopes. If it was something more pricey and custom I would use a roll and ship it UPS.

check out uline.com they have a million different products for packaging including bags and boxes. they sell in large quantities but its worth it

UPS will give you tons of free tubes for shipping. Just go to a shipping location and pick them up.

I usually keep the tubes from my vinyl (there's no writing on them). Roll the graphic up and tape the ends, and you're ready to ship. With the tubes being ridgid, there's no way they'll get crushed. Or even keep the boxes the vinyl comes in, You may have to wrap it to cover the lettering. On flat decals, take a priority mail box, cut the seam and turn it inside out but leave it flat. Tape the edges and it's good to go.(sometimes I put a piece of cardboard inside where the crease is to keep it ridgid)

How do you get away with turning a priority mail box inside out?.....I tried that once and thought I was going to get arrested when I showed up at USPS....The guy at the PO lectured me worse than my mom ever did....In my case they just refused it but he also told me that if it went through the addressee would have been responsible for postage due when it arrived....

The new boxes now have priority on the inside too..That way you can't cheat them out of the postage..

As for going to a shipping location for UPS to get free tubes..You might go to a depot and get a couple but a UPS Store will not give them to you..Least not anymore..UPS requires you to order supplies to ship with from the ups.com web site..Local might have some but won't give you very many...

stetson5331

The new boxes now have priority on the inside too..That way you can't cheat them out of the postage..

As for going to a shipping location for UPS to get free tubes..You might go to a depot and get a couple but a UPS Store will not give them to you..Least not anymore..UPS requires you to order supplies to ship with from the ups.com web site..Local might have some but won't give you very many...

stetson5331

I thought the giving stuff away before busines was an easy scam for people who look for / take advantage of stuff like that . In those cases , i hope karma visits them !!!

My boxes must be old. They are brown on the inside. Never heard anything from the postmaster. Now flat rate boxes I heard would get trouble going. If you're still leery about it, I've even gone to local grocery stores and asked for their old boxes. There's plenty of cardboard to make shipping containers/ envelopes for decals.

My boxes must be old. They are brown on the inside. Never heard anything from the postmaster. Now flat rate boxes I heard would get trouble going. If you're still leery about it, I've even gone to local grocery stores and asked for their old boxes. There's plenty of cardboard to make shipping containers/ envelopes for decals.

They have them for a reason and thats for them to make the money on shipping...If they won't take em then use them correctly or not at all..They are priority boxes for a reason..THATS how the USPS makes their money is the postage...

Boxes and tubes are cheap if you have to buy the correct ones..Just incorp that in the shipping cost and be done with it..Trying to use something and modify it to work takes too much valuable time and BS to do..Just do it the right eway incorp the cost in shipping and go on down the road..It makes a quicker ship and a lot less hassel..Besides your not charging in your shipping cost the time to mod a box, travel to your post office and then get turned away.>NOW that costs you profit. NOW is it really worth getting a lecture and all the time exploring how to do something thats not designed to work that way???

my 2 cents

stetson5331