mikeguam

Graphtec CE5000-60 motherboard replacement

My cutter became inoperable, specifically, it could not move past the message to load media even after the pinch rollers were engaged.

After consulting with Graphtec by email and phone, they determined that the motherboard needs replacing. Graphtec recommended that I ship the cutter to them and let them do it. I am located on Guam, so it would end up costing me well over a thousand bucks (mostly shipping costs).  I decided to order the motherboard and have a computer servicing company here install the motherboard. The technician at Graphtec was insistent that there are a couple of steps of calibration that only a certified graphtec technician would know how to do.

Does anyone out there have an understanding of the "calibration" steps required upon replacement of the mother board?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well, I have the exact same problem - dead motherboard, and cannot go past the load media prompt.  I am going to order the new mother board (I was quoted $633) and will put it in myself.  It simply unplugs in about 6 places and 4 screws.  It is the board on the right side of the machine.

I heard nothing about calibration.  Hmmmm.  I will ask signwarehouse what is up with that.  I will be watching this post as well, and will post what I learn.

What were you quoted for the board?

you should go directly to Graphtec, I am paying $303.40.

part # is 792130700           MAIN BD CE5000-60

WOW!! That's a $350 difference!!  I could buy a new dishwasher with that much $$.  But don't tell my wife that.

Hey Double Allen,

You'll probably have your MB installed before mine arrives ..... can you let me know how it works out?

I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Did you replace your main board yet? I did replace mine but still the same problem: I can't get past the load media prompt.

Did you replace your main board yet? I did replace mine but still the same problem: I can't get past the load media prompt.

Bad sensor?

That seems possible to me. We checked the sensors; the one located on the back and the front and inside where the lever makes contact .... cleaned them and still got the same results ... I'm wondering if there is a sensor on the actual pen carriage ..... Prior to this occuring, I was getting bad cuts due to a deep scratch on the teflon cutting mat.... before I finally noticed the scratch I kept removing the pen holder to make adjustments to the blade depth or extension ... so, I'm wondering if I may have disturbed a sensor on the pen carriage in the process of removing and replacing the pen holder so many times....

Hi guys,

I'm having your same problem except that my plotter works intermittently, it works for a couple of prints then it gets stuck on "load media" and so on.

A tech came to check it and said I have to replace the main board (I'm in Australia and it would cost $760 plus $187 to mount it...)

Did changing the board work for you? Do you have any update??

Hi guys,

I'm having your same problem except that my plotter works intermittently, it works for a couple of prints then it gets stuck on "load media" and so on.

A tech came to check it and said I have to replace the main board (I'm in Australia and it would cost $760 plus $187 to mount it...)

Did changing the board work for you? Do you have any update??

We changed the mother board and it still did the same thing .... I ended up purchasing a new plotter and am going to send the old one to graphtec to repair and it will become my back-up ...

I have a CE5000 too that's say novram init. Graphtec said motherboard needs changing. Anyone with this problem?:huh: Plotter is 2 years old.

I have a CE5000 too that's say novram init. Graphtec said motherboard needs changing. Anyone with this problem?:huh: Plotter is 2 years old.

Is it running or what is it doing? Have you tried to set it back to factory reset?...

My cutter became inoperable, specifically, it could not move past the message to load media even after the pinch rollers were engaged.

After consulting with Graphtec by email and phone, they determined that the motherboard needs replacing. Graphtec recommended that I ship the cutter to them and let them do it. I am located on Guam, so it would end up costing me well over a thousand bucks (mostly shipping costs).  I decided to order the motherboard and have a computer servicing company here install the motherboard. The technician at Graphtec was insistent that there are a couple of steps of calibration that only a certified graphtec technician would know how to do.

Does anyone out there have an understanding of the "calibration" steps required upon replacement of the mother board?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My suggestion would be to buy a mid level cutter like a Copam . It should not owe you anything by the time the warranty expires ( $750 with a 2 year warranty ) . I bought 2 of them 4 years ago figuring 1 would become a parts donor , but both are doing great . Your location & shipping costs are a problem even buying a new cutter , but having a cutter with a warranty would be great . I know Graphtecs are way above a Copam in price & performance .. but how exact do you need for vinyl :huh:

Hello, good evening friends!

I am looking to buy a motherboard from Graphtec.

I am in Brazil and need to import.

I contacted the Graphtec website but they refuse to send to Brazil, they want me to buy Brazilian suppliers to absurd prices.

Someone could help me?

Let me know where I could buy this motherboard or even someone who can buy and send me.

Can I pay with paypal.

Thanks to all!

@rluther68

I have the same problem.  NOVRAM INIT.

i finished my day with no problems... and when i return, turned on and that message appears in the display.

if anyone could help, would appreciate

• Like 1

here is the board - by far the cheapest we have found.    But first did you try the factory reset?

...there's a doctor in the house?

doctor...doctor... gimme da news,

I got a graphtec, done gimme da blues.

So is there a known and proven fix for this? I can't believe Graphtec is ok with this. My plotter died at 3 years old. Graphtec referred me to an "authorized repair person" that seemed to be just some guy working out of his basement. He said that it could be any number of parts, and no way to test them, just have to keep replacing stuff until the problem is fixed. According to others I've spoken with, this is a common issue. I realize my warranty is up, and don't expect a freebie, but with less than 3 years of light hobby use, I wouldn't expect a "pro level" unit to be basically worthless. I may as well have bought a cheap knock off plotter. Graphtec should be ashamed. And US Cutter, as my retailer, should be pretty annoyed at Graphtec as well.

I can count the amount of mainboards that have gone bad on the graphtecs over the last 8 years on one hand . . . back in december you said you wanted to troubleshoot it yourself as you have the electronics knowledge to do your own work instead of sending it to graphtec for repair.  you was given a link to the new mainboard that has now risen to 355 and will probably not be available much longer now that the ce6000 is coming up on it's 2 year anniversary.  not sure who you spoke with that said this was a common problem but the evidence on our forum of over 40,000 users doesn't seem to support that heck  we get more mh series mainboard failures every couple weeks than the graphtec has had in the past 8 years.

option 1 send it to graphtec for repair

option 2 is order the mainboard yourself and go thru the calibration steps since you have the background to do it (as long as you feel comfortable doing it)
http://www.beacongraphics.com/bgllc/Amazing/itemdesc.asp?ic=792130720&eq=&Tp=

option 3 buy the cheap cutter you referred to as a replacement and realize why you bought the graphtec in the first place.

graphtec handles the repairs of their cutters directly and not thru uscutter - and on a user forum you won't drum up a lot of support talking about either company - almost no one on here has anything to do with either one.  we just got our first real paid usc employee stop on here for the first time in probably 2 years.  they just don't hang around the user forum and spend most of their time on the phone doing support work

pretty much ball is back in your court - fix it or don't . . . . 

One thing I can recommend it don't try to flash the firmware on a working cutter . . .yup recently we had someone upgrading firmware unsuccessfully

as I stated in your other thread I paid several hundred more to get a roland going that came in with a bad mainboard - think I ended up with close to 900 in that one before I sold it . . .  

Also the CE series are listed by most places as hobby cutters. If you want a "pro" series cutter look into the FC series. I have a qe 60+ which is basically a ce5000 with what I believe is a mb issue but I'm just too cheap to fix it so I bought a used q75 (fc7000) instead and never looked back. Every cutter I've ever had except the mh has paid for it's replacement while making be money which is what really matters isn't it? If you feel that frustrated with a Graphtec then a lower end cutter will probably make you quit altogether.