Sign in to follow this  
mingle

Replacing Cutting Strip

Okay, one question.. how do I get this blessed adhesive off?

I've tried Fingernail Polish Remover, Goo-B-Gone, doesn't seem to phase this adhesive.. I've rolled and rolled with my finger till my fingers are raw.

Surely there's an easier way for this? I tried my Lil'Chizzler and it barely works too.. any ideas?

if you do it just right you can pull the adhesive off right along with the strip, im glad mine was like that as i have seen many people post about the headaches of getting the adhesive off. i think i remember someone using kerosene

a small amount of paint thinner  (or Oops ) should do it but unplug the machine and ventilate very well.

That goes for ANY flammable liquid....remember the vapors are the part that combust!

Clean it off afterward with a small amount of soapy water on a rag ( not directly on machine) and dry thoroughly.

By all means keep fluids out of the machine!

• Like 1

I took the front cover of the machine off (three screws) and covered all the inside components up with tyvek material so that no residue would get into them (as it would drip straight on top of a small transformer), gonna try paint thinner tomorrow, then maybe kerosene.

We'll see : This stuff is a PAIN.

yup - try lacquer thinner - still a pain but it softens it and then scrape with a lil chisler.  I also thought about trying dry ice then chipping it

that should work too along with xylene but they are a lot hotter chems so I avoid them if possible. plus thinner stays wet longer . the evap is a lot faster with Lacquer thinner so it tends to make a bit more mess.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

it was what I had that worked best for me - tried several things and it really didn't matter it was all a mess - the reason that if I do it again it I will try dry ice.  you have to get every little bit off and it is like a butyl from hell . .

I think I'm going to try some xylene, I tried thinner but it dries too fast and doesn't work as good as I'd like.  Xylene might work better.

regular paint thinner is best , xylene will dry way too fast. Laquer thinner is the same deal...to hot..dries too fast. Paint thinner is nice and oily and stays wet long enough to work. then wash clean with dishsoap/water on a rag.

just my 2 cents..

Got it all off, thank god.  Used Xylene, got some on the plastic on the front of the plotter and it discolored it : great. 

The easiest way to get the adhesive off is to work it slowly off using a nylon squeege. You can use the one you apply vinyl or the mask with.

1. Remove the old strip,

2. Starting at one end work the adhesive into a roll, then using a combination of the nylon squeege and your fingers roll the adhesive over itself.

3. Work towards the other end, the adhesive will actually stick to itself and allow removal.

This seems to be the best method and won't cause any damage that solvents usually do to the plastic. Once you get it off clean the metal base with alcohol and let it dry before placing the new strip in place.

• Like 1