keetch

contour cuts

Plenty will contour cut, some just not good ;)

What is "affordable" for you?  I've used these cheap cutters many times... they're great for cutting vinyl, but if you're contour cutting you need precise work.

I've had VERY good luck with a Graphtec CE5000-60, they really impressed me.  Believe me I didn't wanna dish out $1,600 for a vinyl cutter... but after you see this baby run and how great it is... you'll never want to go back.

Caleb

+1 on the Graphtec..I started with one and I am so glad I did..No headaches so far..I just had to dial in the fine tuning adjustments and then its on from there on...

stetson5331

You can also purchase Flexistarter 10, which will contour cut  for most models currently out there.  You don't need a laser pointer or optic eye.  Forum member  Boosted, uses it with his PCUT.  USCutter sells it also.  I just grabbed the first one I saw on EBAY..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Flexi-10-Starter-Flexisign-Design-Plot-Software-/290533696232?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a52862e8

How are you going to contour cut from software only with no hardware to support it?  To actually find the reg marks... do you replace your blade/pen holder with an optical viewer and line it up that way?

Little confused in this aspect.

I have the software,  as a  Flexistarter 8.6  when it first came out,  But I have a Graphtec.  Boosted uses it, and has pictures posted on the forum.  I will try to find them.    I don't have a printer...  I turned Boosted onto it.  He loves it.  He was gonna buy a Laser Pointer.  But he uses this with his  PCUT 

That just seems like a really sketchy way to contour cut.. if I remember right SignCut Pro had this feature too, where you could bump the pen to the registration mark with your arrow keys..

I'd much rather trust an optical eye to contour cut, vs some "not so precise" alignment just looking at your knife... just my opinion though I guess.  

I'd still go with a system designed for contour cutting, but that's just me.

Here is Boosted pictures with his PCUT.  Not everybody has the money for a Graphtec starting out.   But it can start you in the right direction.   No different than using a Laser pointer and clicking OK.  after each jog.  It is gonna cut  where you tell it to. And yes,  Signcut also has the feature. But you have to pay their subscription. price.  You purchase Flexistarter 10  1 time and you own it. Alot of people on here already have their cutters purchased,  It just gives them another option at contour cutting, without buying another cutter.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,28166.msg222266.html#msg222266

Plenty will contour cut, some just not good :huh:

What is "affordable" for you?  I've used these cheap cutters many times... they're great for cutting vinyl, but if you're contour cutting you need precise work.

I've had VERY good luck with a Graphtec CE5000-60, they really impressed me.  Believe me I didn't wanna dish out $1,600 for a vinyl cutter... but after you see this baby run and how great it is... you'll never want to go back.

Caleb

+1 on the Graphtec..I started with one and I am so glad I did..No headaches so far..I just had to dial in the fine tuning adjustments and then its on from there on...

stetson5331

+1 on the Graphtec. I don't have a CE5000-60, but I do have a CE5000-40, which is the same as the -60 in every way except it's only 15" instead of 24". It's also $600 less than the -60, so you should check it out. It cuts great and contour cutting is perfect every time once you get it set up.

For the money & best bang for the buck the UsCutter Laserpoint 24" can't be beat at just under 400.00 . I have one & love it it's built well not flimsy like those Chinese knockoffs. Software that comes with it is another story (SBE) but you can't beat the price (free).

That just seems like a really sketchy way to contour cut.. if I remember right SignCut Pro had this feature too, where you could bump the pen to the registration mark with your arrow keys..

I'd much rather trust an optical eye to contour cut, vs some "not so precise" alignment just looking at your knife... just my opinion though I guess.  

I'd still go with a system designed for contour cutting, but that's just me.

It is very precise, probably more than the laser. when I get close to the reg mark I push the knife down until I hit dead center on each mark. It is not as fast as one that reads the marks automagically, but I can have the cutter cutting in about 45 seconds after i load the paper. I have cut tons of these, Flexi 8.6 is the way to go. If ya need help let me know.

Just went to do a quick video and forgot I sold the pcut. I need to buy a new mother board for my seiki to do it. When I do I will post a video showing how easy it is.

For the money & best bang for the buck the UsCutter Laserpoint 24" can't be beat at just under 400.00 . I have one & love it it's built well not flimsy like those Chinese knockoffs. Software that comes with it is another story (SBE) but you can't beat the price (free).

The laserpoint is the same as the pcut, just has the laser. I do 95% of my desiging in SB, but cut with Flexi (overcut feature makes weeding a dream).

Well  Boosted,  I hope you didn't mind me using you for a reference,  I knew you liked using the contour cut on Flexistarter 8.6  and you were the only person I could think of using it.  And like I said,  cheaper than buying another cutter, when people already have a cutter.  :huh:

Where'd you buy your CE5000-40 from? Glad you like yours too!

Specialty Graphics. They have it for $995 (the typical price), free shipping, a t-shirt forums discount, AND a $50 gift certificate good at their store. I'm very happy with their service.

It is very precise, probably more than the laser. when I get close to the reg mark I push the knife down until I hit dead center on each mark. It is not as fast as one that reads the marks automagically, but I can have the cutter cutting in about 45 seconds after i load the paper. I have cut tons of these, Flexi 8.6 is the way to go. If ya need help let me know.

Just went to do a quick video and forgot I sold the pcut. I need to buy a new mother board for my seiki to do it. When I do I will post a video showing how easy it is.

My Roland Stika did it this way too; it did work well, but it was very slow going and I couldn't get the accuracy I was looking for.

Well  Boosted,   I hope you didn't mind me using you for a reference,  I knew you liked using the contour cut on Flexistarter 8.6  and you were the only person I could think of using it.  And like I said,  cheaper than buying another cutter, when people already have a cutter.   :huh:

I don't mind at all! I had better get a new mother board for this cutter, or there will be lots of unhappy racers this spring.