Sign in to follow this  
allenallen

Media Baskets for SW plotters????

Why can I buy any size Graphtec plotter with the Vinyl Express name from SignWarehouse, but can only get the media catch basket with an original (complete cutter with stand) order?  I have searched Graphtec, SignWarehouse, USCutter, eBay....nothing!

So I have one cutter with the basket and one without.  It is absurd!  They can sell any part, even a new motherboard, but not the media basket! 

I have seen the suggestions to make one myself.  Having the fabric part made is easy - that's what mother-in-laws are for, right?  But as for bending 1/2" conduit - now we're getting into homemade band-aids.

Apparently, Graphtec's media basket is the most coveted, and guarded component!

It doesn't have to be round - here is a picture of one I make and sell at times - Not that hard to make

post-2774-12986566956642_thumb.jpg

post-2774-1298656697205_thumb.jpg

I have seen the suggestions to make one myself.  Having the fabric part made is easy - that's what mother-in-laws are for, right?  But as for bending 1/2" conduit - now we're getting into homemade band-aids.

You can buy a conduit bender for WAY less than a catch basket...and conduit is cheap too:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-x-7-8-eighth-inch-2-in-1-tubing-bender-94623.html

It doesn't have to be round - here is a picture of one I make and sell at times - Not that hard to make

Looks good..does the job....and I'm sure it cost considerably less to make than $280.00

Take a peice of 10oz banner material..weld pole pockets or sew...Then bend 1/2" conduit to fit..Should take about 30 minutes to get it where it will work..Atached it on the sides and viola' a media basket..Sounds harder than it is...

It's way cheaper than a $280 charge for something so easy...Including the bender should be about $50 bucks in it...

Give it a try!

stetson5331

stetson - does the banner material cause any additional static?  we was selling them with a material like under your couch - not real durable but it didn't add to the static issue