Sign in to follow this  
may0024

CE5000-40 slicing through design

I haven't had this cutter long, a few weeks, and it is now not completing cuts and slicing through the design. I'm having the "No media" error as well. Could it be that it is not grounded properly? I just have it sitting on a fold up table, floor is tile.

Thanks in advance for any input.

The no media is when the sensor in the back cannot find the vinyl - I get that sometimes when I don't unroll enough slack ahead of time.  this is the first time I have ever heard that about a graphtec.  could be static but my guess is you are using a usb cable - switch to the serial cable and all should be good

Thanks for the quick reply. My laptop doesn't have a serial port, one of the reasons I went with a cutter that can use USB connection. }:)

or my favorite just buy an older xp machine for 5.00 and be done with the problems :)

Is it happening with all designs?  Could there be a stray node just thinking outside the static box.  I don't usual buy it static issue but then what do I know.......

ohhhh Bill come up and visit right now - we will put you up.  the static up here is horrendous even with the whole house humidifier going all the time.  when the dog gets off the couch it sounds like velcro ripping.

ohhhh Bill come up and visit right now - we will put you up.  the static up here is horrendous even with the whole house humidifier going all the time.  when the dog gets off the couch it sounds like velcro ripping.

:) :) :D suns out and it 80

:):D:) suns out and it 80

080508-124012-109007.jpg

from NOAA for tonight

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -1. Wind chill values as low as -15. West wind around 15 mph.

Wednesday: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 12. Wind chill values as low as -20. West wind between 15 and 20 mph.

I had a problem with the random cuts across the vinyl, too. Yes, it was static electricity.  I double-checked the ground for the outlet and it had an open ground. 

My problem was solved once the machine was grounded.

Thats pretty interesting?  I have never had that problem, so what actually happens that tells you that you need to ground it and maybe one of you could post a photo of how it was done as I have seen this question pop up numerous times, and always thought it was BS.  Shows how much I know  :huh:

Grounding the outlet is easy:  Home Depot will sell you a little contraption that you plug into any outlet.  It will tell you by different LED's any faults with the wiring.  99% of all electrical appliances will work fine with an open ground, but static-sensitive items like plotters (especially plotters since cutting can create static) will mess up.  Once the static in the machine reaches the main / mother board, its all over: maybe it will just stop and do a data dump, maybe a diagonal line cut randomly, etc.  You could also add a dedicated ground by running a wire from your plotter frame to a cold water pipe, IF you have copper pipes.

One thing that I had a problem with years ago:  I was using a Creation cutter then, and the media rollers had nylon bearings at the end.  All the static build up was in the vinyl, and there was no way "out."  I fixed this by taping one side of a 2" piece of steel wool to the brackets, and it just laid the other end on the rollers.  Problem solved!