Black Angus

I make Jewelry with My Cutter!

First some dos and don'ts of etching....Do find a well ventilated area for etching always...Don't ever heat or etch galvanized steel or any metal that has a coating that you are not 100% about...Do choose the right etchant for the type of material you are etching...Don't ever touch acids without proper protection splash guard, vapor respirator, rubber gloves and a rubber apron...Do always keep baking soda handy when dealing with acid, as well as a wash bucket of water also always use plastic bucket and tools so if you don't get all of the acid neutralized it won't eat your tools!

Next decide what part of the vinyl design you want etched and weed that part. The part you don't weed will be the raised area. Clean and sand the metal to be etched to at least 400 grit (that is the sandpaper grit). put your vinyl on like you would normally put it on anything else. Cover all uncovered areas that you don't want etched with vinyl or electrical tape.

Use duck tape on the back of your piece to hold it across your acid tank upside down. Depending on what acids you are using depends on the time it will take for etching to finish. Check often so you do not eat through the piece. Use baking soda to neutralize the acid, wash in water and remove vinyl and tape. Finish off to your liking.

This method can also be used for glass etching! 

Hey BA:  you ought to make a video and sell it for a few bucks.  I'd be willing to buy it!  All the tricks and so forth.

You do nice work.  Congrats!

Pappy

any guide on the acids to use?  All of stacey's only have the references from her Ann Rule books :D

Awesome work, I agree that you could do an instructional video!

Can I add to the list of questions?

What brand of plotter do you use?

What brand of vinyl?

What stength and type of acid? 

How long does it take?

Do you do a bunch at once, or one at a time?

Thanks again for sharing!

I have the MH 721. I use the cheapest vinyl I can find. For brass, bronze, copper, nickle and steel I use ferric chloride(pc board etchant) from computer stores. It takes about 3-4 hours and I do as many as I can fit comfortably in my plastic container. Ferric Chloride will not etch silver.