CollinJ

What would you charge?

Alright quick background, nice guy that ordered 20 of these from me before he now wants to re-order another $20 of them. I will say what I charged him for the first 20 after some people give me an idea. The size is about 10"x4" 2 color (white and blue). What would you charge each or for the whole 20 of them?

Thanks!

post-11909-12986566490635_thumb.png

post-11909-12986566515353_thumb.png

I dont price so much by size as labor, you gotta work out how much time it took you to design it, input it into your cutting software, cut it, WEED IT, dual layer it etc.... And for only 20 of them at a time you gotta be charging more.

Ya looks like I really need to work on my pricing structure... I believe it or not am making money on these... just seems like I could be making a LOT more... I charged him $2.25 per.... So $45 for all of them. They are pretty easy to weed, the 2 color thing I actually apply the blue without any transfer tape... I just pull it up and line it up with the cut indentations of the white. Works pretty well.

I guess I could easily be up around $5 each for them...

I reuse app tape when doing things like this . I agree with charging based on time & complexity . The cost of regular vinyl, app tape etc is minimal . I figure materials cost less than $1 per foot on a 24" roll RTA . I add that into the labor . Charge enough that it makes you feel like doing more .

+1 Roger...

If you felt good about the $2.25 then by all means stay the same..

If not go up some on your price..I am learning that it's what you want to charge not what others tell you they chage...

I see pricing all over the place on here form others in larger markets...

stetson5331

How long did it take you to do them? How much do you need to make per hr to cover your overhead? Your pay? Profit?

Now when you tell him $4 or $6 or $? for the same $2.25 decal what do you think the reaction will be.

You need to figure all those things before you kill your own business.

Ya my goal while starting off was to build up some customers. I would rather do 100 at $2 or $3 each then only 20 for $10 each.

That being said I do appreciate the help! I think I might go up just a little bit, seems like I have a little wiggle room to go to $3 or $4 and still get most if not all the orders of people who contact me.

Thanks again!

If it looks like he might be ordering more offer him a bulk price at the same rate if he orders all at once, if he only wants 20 I would go up to around $4 (personally I would have been closer to $6-8 to start with but its too late for that LOL) Just tell him you under bid the first round but honored the price.

Ya I wasn't saying I would go up on pricing for him all of a sudden. I was just trying to see if I was in the ballpark for these. I now see I am under the "normal" for the most part. I would never all of a sudden go up in price on the exact same thing I cut him before. I actually knocked a little off for him as well.

Supply & Demand IMO . That is how it winds up to me in reality . Large demand or small supply supports higher prices ... the opposite is also true ... vinyl cutting has a large supply source . I have lost customers due to charging more & or others underbidding me . I have rarely ever gotten those customers back in any type of business I have done . It is best to leave something left over on the table , but not too much :) . It depends on how busy you are & how busy you want to stay ... if it is your only source of income etc . Everybody likes " Gravy " prices ( home run hit once in a while ) , but it is the " meat & potato " prices ( prices that will keep you busy instead of hoping a gravy job comes along ) that pay the bills most of the time . Like Stetson says " I am learning that it's what you want to charge not what others tell you they chage...

I see pricing all over the place on here form others in larger markets... "

I have seen some members constantly harp about higher prices & also seen them beg for work , so it really is about how busy you want to stay .

I would rather do 100 at $2 or $3 each then only 20 for $10 each.

What!!?? I must be missing something here but isnt the point of being in business to make the MOST amount of profit for the LEAST amount of work?  :)

I understand the humor , but 100 @ $2-$3 makes more money in the long run from my experiences . The old adage is make somebody happy & they will tell a few people .. make them unhappy & they will tell everybody . GREAT prices will bring in many more customers & specialized work will hit the homeruns .

When i first started screen printing i thought the low price would bring lots of biz  but then we were too busy doing small low end work that we had no time to go after real work all supplies and time were spent completing small orders,  when you do finally have your 100 customers and try going up in price they will just go out and find some other guy starting out that will give them the under priced quote .. you cant be afraid to charge people what is right , i cut vinyl at a market every weekend no mater what we cut its atleast  5 bucks for a 1x5 inch name ,you can always just go by sq. inch  you have to be able to sell your self and knowledge . on occasion we will do a player price for some one and yes they will tell others but you cant do it for all....

When i first started screen printing i thought the low price would bring lots of biz  but then we were too busy doing small low end work that we had no time to go after real work all supplies and time were spent completing small orders,  when you do finally have your 100 customers and try going up in price they will just go out and find some other guy starting out that will give them the under priced quote .. you cant be afraid to charge people what is right , i cut vinyl at a market every weekend no mater what we cut its atleast  5 bucks for a 1x5 inch name ,you can always just go by sq. inch  you have to be able to sell your self and knowledge . on occasion we will do a player price for some one and yes they will tell others but you cant do it for all....

What you said really does make sense, thanks!

Supply & Demand IMO . That is how it winds up to me in reality . Large demand or small supply supports higher prices ... the opposite is also true ... vinyl cutting has a large supply source . I have lost customers due to charging more & or others underbidding me . I have rarely ever gotten those customers back in any type of business I have done . It is best to leave something left over on the table , but not too much :) . It depends on how busy you are & how busy you want to stay ... if it is your only source of income etc . Everybody likes " Gravy " prices ( home run hit once in a while ) , but it is the " meat & potato " prices ( prices that will keep you busy instead of hoping a gravy job comes along ) that pay the bills most of the time . Like Stetson says " I am learning that it's what you want to charge not what others tell you they chage...

I see pricing all over the place on here form others in larger markets... "

I have seen some members constantly harp about higher prices & also seen them beg for work , so it really is about how busy you want to stay .

See thats the thing, this is not my only source of income... I work a sales job a few days, go to school a few days a week, and then do lots of freelance graphic design work as well. So while I like to be busy I dont need to be THAT busy all the time.

i am active duty military and i want to do this full time when i retire ,  but in order to grow you cant ever say this is just a hobby i hear that alot on here i price as if i do have the overhead in order to transition into a full time biz.

I am the same way as far as this is not the only source of income . I like to make as much money as possible in anything I do , but reality has to be paid attention to . Even if the economy wasn't tanking , there are a zillion vinyl cutters & more printers by the day . Technology & competition changes things no matter what . Even in good times , many business's go under . Any advantage like small overhead should be applied to have an edge in order to gain & keep customers ... especially if that business is to become full time . It is rubbish about not being able to raise prices once a price is given ( I have read that in other threads many times ) . VERY few things go down in price & most things increase in price . Sales are given all the time & then regular prices apply . I would think 99.9 % of the people on here are a hobby type business . Either that or they don't have enough work to keep them busy  ...

I would be at $7 each for 20. The second color is super easy to do beings it's not outlined or anything.