Sign in to follow this  
hawkeyeent

Vinyl vs. Heat

I have a customer who runs a shop that builds race car engines and he wanted some decals the put on the heads. I felt that it would be no problem, however the heat from the headers concerns me. I was going to use Oracal 651, but couldn't find any specs that made me feel comfortable with this application. ANyone know whether 651 or any other vinyl can stand up to the heat? Roughly... between 850-1100 deg. Thanks

i don't think it's going to work at least 651. look at it this way a heat gun at min. gets to a 1000 deg.. and it melts vinyl.but i have no sug. on what to use.

Me and my buddy plan on trying to powdercoat over vinyl with clear powder coat and see how it works.

Put them on the valve covers. Many of the motor builders in my area put them on the valve covers and have no problems with the heat.

Yeah they are going on the valve covers, but I didn't know how much the heat from the headers would affect it. After talking to a few other people today, I think it should be fine. If not, I got a few new ideas in my back pocket  ;) thanks